LXXXIV: Seven Underground

❝The most identifying trait of humanity is our ability to be inhumane to one another.❞
—Dean Koontz

I didn't realize I had a go-to squad until I needed one. But I suppose I do.

Alexander stayed undercover in the city to gather information. Meanwhile, I returned to the harbor where civilians were still boarding and searched for the companions he and I agreed on to join us on our mission.

Naturally, we picked Peggy out first. She's reliable and willing to get into the thick of things.

Next, I found Rory. What he lacks in knowledge of Greek literature he makes up in sheer strength and bold brawn.

Then I sought out Charles. The man is organized and outstandingly calm in the tensest of situations. Hermes is a plus.

Finally, I found John. I could mention his nick for strategizing or his talent with a gun, but truthfully, I brought him along because he makes me feel safe.

They all agreed to join me. Now, it was supposed to end here. Unfortunately, while we stripped off our military gear to our black clothing underneath, Burr saw us and questioned us.

Maybe we could've made a stupid excuse, but Peggy came clean in a millisecond.

Burr tried to talk Charles and Peggy out of it (clearly he doesn't give a shit about what Rory, John, and I do), but they insisted ongoing.

And Burr refused to let them go alone so...

All six of us (seven if you include Hermes) snuck away from the harbor and to the unoccupied Ocelots that transported the civilians here.

"Why do we need to be in all black again?" Burr drones as he manifests the Ocelot master key from his pocket.

"Because we need to blend in," Peggy chirps. "The AmeriComs are wearing black, so we will as well."

"And why do we want to join them?" Burr continues.

"To find their leaders, mate," Charles explains.

"Washington never approved of this, did he?" Burr sighs.

"Must he approve of everything?" I scoff. "Look, the same thing will happen over and over again if we let the AmeriComs exist. If we take down their leaders, we take down their group. Or at least, stifle it until the war is over."

"This is a really bad idea," Burr huffs. "A really, really bad idea."

"I guess we'll see," I shake my head.

Burr holds up the Ocelot key.

"I wanna drive," John snatches the key.

"Oi!" Charles stomps after John. "There is no way you're driving!"

"Suck it, tea bag."

"I think I should drive," Rory mutters. "I'm a great driver."

"You'll probably hit an AmeriCom for fun, Rory," Peggy says. "I think (Y/N) should drive!"

"You wouldn't want me to drive," I wave a hand. "I'll accidentally hit a walrus."

"There are no walruses in Alask-"

"Exactly, Burr."

"I got the key first," John declares, "so I'll drive."

Hermes barks.

"Hermes is right," Charles says. "You're a bloody git, Laurens."

"Your stupid dog can't talk, limey," John growls.