XX: Six Minutes To Escape

❝I'll catch you, angel. I'll always catch you.❞
—Sylvia Day

Lee claimed the third mission is always the worst, and this is technically my third official mission. Because of Lee's warning, I'm extra cautious with every step I take. Unfortunately, this mission isn't a game of caution, but a game of luck.

October 20, 2058.

It took longer than I expected for a connection to be set up with Washington and his assistants, and even when a connection was set up, it took a while to fully coordinate the plan for our mission.

Nevertheless, a plan has been made, and now we are officially set off on our mission.

I sit in the back seat of the Ocelot John is driving, gnawing on the inside of my cheek anxiously.

John is in the driver's seat and Alexander is in the passenger seat. I would be in Alexander's place if he had not proposed we race to the Ocelot to see who gets shotgun. As always, he won the race.

Frankly, I should be happy that I'm in the backseat. Most soldiers (unless they're driving the other Ocelots) are in the back carrier of the Ocelots. Being in the actual interior is a luxury.

Alexander and I were asked by John to join him in the Ocelot because he wants help reading the map to our destination. Of course, this was just an excuse. It is pretty clear to see that he just wanted our company. I had no complaints.

We're leading the pack, driving in the first car of the long line. Alexander is giving directions, and by the sound of it, we're nearing the base.

"We just passed a tree that looks like an apple, so that means we drive one more mile and come to a stop," Alexander says.

"Alrigh'."

I notice that John is clenching the steering wheel, his knuckles white. Is he nervous? And if so, about what? We've been preparing for this mission for quite a while! We have all our equipment, a layout of the hacker base, and the element of surprise on our side. There's no way this mission can go wrong, right?

I bite my lip, recalling the low AC soldier survival rate, then wipe the thought from my mind, choosing to comment on something far easier to think of.

"How did we get the tip of where the hacker base is located?" I ask, stroking my TFX on the seat next to me.

John scoffs, "Funny story actually. Pro'ably shouldn't be sayin' this to anyone, but... We got a spy workin' real close to the Russian government and they attend many meetin's. Nikolai Ivanovich also attends these meetin's, and Nikolai happened to slip out the general location of the base."

I gape, my eyes widening. "Just like that? It slipped from his tongue?"

"I s'ppose so," John shrugs, visibly calming a little. "That brat can't be that smart. Apparently, he spoke about the base for seven straight minutes before realizin' that he shouldn't be talkin' 'bout it."

Alexander is gnawing on his thumb knuckle. Alexander is often unreadable, but whenever he does this, it's a clear indicator that he's anxious. John, however, does not know this, and he continues speaking.

"Should be quick. Accordin' to Nikolai, the place is beggin' to get busted. The hackers there aren't always armed, and there is no Army 'round to protect them. Nikolai seemed pissed 'bout it."

No fucking way. No Russian soldier goes around without at least two pistols and a rifle on them. It's a part of Russian military training! I know this... Unfortunately, I cannot explain to John why I know, so I avoid that detail and focus on another.