XLII: Two Glorious Russians

❝All change is bad. But sometimes it has to be done.❞
—Patrick Jake O'Rourke

"If I survive this..."

I said I'd keep the promise. Can I? How long will we wait for it to come into fruition, if it ever does? And if it never does, will that mean I've broken my promise? What will Alexander have to live for after that?

I don't want him to die.

I'm awakened from my subconscious state by a loud, familiar, annoying alarm. Goddamn. It's morning.

I roll over on my bed and reach over to my phone on my nightstand, lazily hitting snooze. I close my eyes, but it feels like a mere second later that the alarm blares again. I hit snooze two more times before I'm annoyed enough to wake up. I dismiss the alarm, then lay in bed.

I'm cold. I sit up slowly and run my hand through my hair. It's a little past eight in the morning.

February 14, 2059.

God, guess I better get this day started.

It's been a week since I had that day with John, and I've been eagerly looking forward to meeting up with him again. Last night he texted me and said his meetings will be ending very soon.

I can't wait.

I stand to my feet and slip on my bunny slippers. There's a fifty-fifty chance Alexander is already awake.

Leaving my phone in my room, I stride out of my room and do a quick check around the house. I don't see Alexander. He must still be asleep in his room. With this in mind, I skip into the bathroom. I need a refreshing shower... and frankly, I'd like to shower before Alexander does.

My shower is quick and cleansing. I stand in the mirror for a second as I brush out my hair. I look into my face. I pull on a bathrobe, then skip into the kitchen. Alexander still isn't up... So I'll make us coffee.

I put coffee grounds in our coffee maker, then brew it. As it brews, I slide over to the window my flowers sit. I pull back the curtains, partially blinded by the morning light. It snowed last night, so the world below is layered in the white powder. I'm not in the mood to go outside anyway.

Today feels like a sit-on-the-couch-and-eat-ice-cream day. Alexander and I have been meaning to start watching a new show together, so maybe he'll be down to eat ice cream with me.

I water my flowers, stroking the petals gingerly. The great thing about indoor plants is that they don't die from the weather.

The coffee maker beeps. It's ready. I hop back into the kitchen, grabbing our mugs from the cabinet. They're super cute! Peggy bought and mailed them to us for our birthday this year. Our mugs have adorable penguins on them, and when pushed together, the penguins are hugging. Words across the two mugs read out "Better Together".

I fill up Alexander's mug almost all the way up. I leave a little space empty in mine. I go into the fridge and pull out my bottle of vanilla-flavored creamer, pouring it into my mug and stirring it with a spoon.

As for Alexander's coffee... I look over my shoulder to make sure he didn't sneak up behind me. When I confirm that I'm alone, I reach into one of the cabinets and push aside our canister of sugar and flour. Behind it resides a tiny, unlabeled plastic bottle. I pull it out and remove the lid from the black bottle.

I tap out the smallest amount of the matte purple substance into Alexander's coffee, then stir until it's all dissolved.

Alexander doesn't know this exists.