XXXVII: One Reason and Three Words

❝There are all these moments you think you won't survive. And then you survive.❞
David Levithan

"You absolute-"

It was a long and tedious wait, but after Alexander and I were left on a separate island, we were eventually found and brought to mainland America. We were swiftly transported to a base in an unknown location where the AC was shipped after the evacuation. I don't know where the Navy has gone, but I don't think I care.

No word has slipped to the public, and I think it will remain that way for quite a while. But that doesn't mean that the AC is oblivious.

The moment we arrived here, all eyes have been on Alexander and me. No phrase has been spoken without mentioning our names. We were a new religion, it seemed, and our fellow soldiers were the preachers, coming up with theories and laws to fall into the scripture. They're waiting for their two Gods to speak and approve of the religion.

Alexander and I were immediately directed to a little cabin on the outer edge of the camp. It is here Alexander and I was to be scolded for what we've done. And, well...

"I can't even believe it!" Burr shrilled, his eyes wide like a wild animal. His nostrils flare while he stands on his toes, seeming to try to appear taller than he is. "I simply cannot believe it!"

"Better start believing it, mate," Lee coos cooly from the corner of the room where he sits leisurely on a plush couch, Hermes the dog on his lap. "It's the bloody reality now."

"Do you even understand what they did, Charles?" Burr glares at the Englishman, his eyes only dilating more.

"I understand perfectly fine," Lee shrugs, stroking Hermes' thick black coat. "I just don't bloody see how shrieking like a bird is going to help."

"The fuckin' limey is righ'," John huffs. "Looks like he's finally usin' his goddamn head."

"Suck my mammoth dick, incest baby."

Burr is still hysterical. "Neither of you understand how- how serious this is!"

"We didn't-"

"Don't speak, Hamiltons! This- You are absolutely foolish!"

"Calm it, Burr," John tries to intervene. Burr isn't having it.

"Stay out of this, Laurens! You can't coddle them anymore!"

"Coddle 'em? I ain't coddlin' 'em."

"You surely aren't lecturing them!"

"The bird and bloke are adults," Lee huffs. "They don't need a bloody lecture."

"It is because they've never faced any real repercussions that they keep performing these disgustingly-reckless stunts!" Burr growls. He rears around to face us. "Why the hell would you even do that?!"

"We just wanted to-"

"It was a rhetorical question, Hamiltons!" Burr interrupts. "I don't care why you did it! You shouldn't have done it! Do you have any idea how serious this is?!"