XXXII: Seven Million Dollar Bottle

❝Make new friends, but keep the old; those are silver, these are gold.❞
—Joseph Parry

"So what you're saying is that the British are acting like assholes."

"Yeah, but it ain't the first time, is it? I reckon they have a history of it."

I stride up behind John and Alexander, having gotten over the little incident that made me mad at them. It took longer than I expected, but after a few days, I've decided to give in and speak to them once again. I mean, I could go on with ignoring them if I wanted to, but it's kind of hard to ignore Alexander when he sleeps next to me every night and practically follows me like a dog for most of the day. And I've begun to miss John's Southern-sweet voice...

How can I ignore them any longer?

November 30, 2058.

I make my move.

"Hey, you two. What's up?"

John and Alexander physically stiffen at the sound of my voice coming from behind them. I suppose it's been quite a while since they've heard me.

They look at me over their shoulders as if questioning if they had an auditory hallucination. When they see that I am indeed in the flesh behind them, my tone friendly and light, they turn their backs to me once again, mumbling to each other. Their conversation is clearly not for my ears, but I hear them anyway. 

"Why is she talkin' to us? I thought she was pissed."

"I don't know... Maybe it's a trap."

"Why was she even mad at us?"

"No idea. I was too scared to ask."

"Yeah, she can be pretty  fuckin' scary."

"I think we should pretend we don't notice her. She's after our heads."

"Okay, I'm trustin' you."

Boys aren't very good at whispering, are they?

"Hey, are you two going to look at me?" I hiss.

They stay still.

"Oh God, what do we do, Alex?"

"Just stay still. She can't see us if we don't move."

I cross my arms and furrow my brows. "If you two are going to act like that, then I'll just go hang out with Lee again! He treats me nice!"

They continue to remain motionless, but they still see no problem in murmuring to one another.

"Lee? We can't let her be with that asshole!"

"They're pretty close... He's really friendly with (Y/N)."

"But he's a fuckin' limey!"

"We should give in."

"What if it is a trap?"

"There's only one way to find out."

As if they rehearsed this, John and Alexander simultaneously turn on their heel to face me, fraudulent smiles plastered on their faces.

"Oh, hey, (Y/N)! We didn't notice you!" John blurts out.

"How long have you been there?" Alexander adds.

I give them an unimpressed expression, wanting to slap them both. But since I'm feeling awfully kind (and curious about what they were talking about before my intrusion), I'll brush it off and pretend it didn't happen.

"I heard you two talking about something," I say, forcing a small grin as I walk between them. "Anything I might want to hear?"

They are silent for a moment as we all look out to the ocean. A majority of the AC soldiers have gathered on the harbor to watch as a ship docks into the pier. It's a new ship, but the most significant detail of the ship is the British flag waving proudly above it. Last time I checked, this harbor was American-run. Why do we have a British ship coming in?