LIV: Five Drinks Too Many

❝There's nothing left to do but get drunk.❞
—Franklin Pierce

I knew from the moment I woke up that something about today was off. Terribly off. A dreading doom filled me to the brim, like something inevitable would change my life. I didn't want to get up from bed in the morning, deciding I'd rather wait out the doom. I'd rather watch the world fall apart from a place of safety.

But Alexander forced me out of bed. He's in the shower now.

July 4, 2059.

This is a special day for Americans. The Fourth of July is the day they earned their independence (I think). I'm not too caught on the history surrounding the day (although, I know Alexander is). Maybe I should ask him about it.

It's been a couple of days since Nikolai called me, and I've been dodging his attempts to communicate for a while. I'm definitely pushing the limits, but at this point, I don't care. He can fucking punish me all he wants. It's not like I'll change. Not for that bastard.

As of now, I'm seething over a message Reynolds sent me:

"Post something patriotic to your Insta."

I was quick to retort. "Hell no! Tell Alexander to do that!"

And yet, Reynolds was faster to respond. "He posted something politically and intellectually charged on Twitter. Be the lighter side of you two and post a soft photo. Something not controversial."

Jesus, what did Alexander tweet?

So I'm pacing around the bedroom in a bathrobe, trying to figure out what the hell I'm supposed to post. Something patriotic? Does he want me to stand on Mount Rushmore with an American flag in my hand and eagle on my shoulder? Does he want me to find a British fellow and punch their dick before dumping them in a harbor? Maybe I need to call Charles up...

I'm interrupted by the sound of a knock on the hotel door. I perk my head up, then stride over to the door, wondering who the hell wants to bother me this morning. I swear to God if it's James, I'm going to-

It's Eliza.

She smiles at me when I open the door, lifting up her hand to wave.

"Hey, (Y/N)."

I force a similar grin on my face. "Hey, Eliza. Something wrong?"

"Nothing at all. It's just that Alexander and I plan to go out for breakfast this morning."

Breakfast? Alexander said he'd spend more time with me today since we've rarely interacted in the past week or so. But all along he planned to ditch me in the morning. I can't believe it.

"I thought this was his room," Eliza continues. "Sorry for bothering you. I'll just-"

"No, this is his room," I assure her. "He's just... we just share his room."

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah. I just like to sleep with him- Wait, I phrased that weirdly! What I mean is that we sleep toget- No, that's not right either. I mean we-"

"It's okay," Eliza cuts my frantic sputtering short, giving me a kind gaze. "I know what you're trying to say. I think that's very cute. I always wanted a brother, and it seems like you and Alexander are very close."

"We are, I suppose. Anyway, Alexander is here, but he's in the shower right now."

"That's fine. I'll come back later."

"He's nearly finished," I say. "You can stay here and wait if you'd like."

So I invite her in. It doesn't take her long to sense something is wrong. "You look anxious, (Y/N). Is there something bothering you?"