XXXVIII: Five Honors

❝No mother, no father, no sight.❞
—Garth Nix

I've never been on TV. Most people haven't. That's changing for me today.

December 23, 2058.

A lot of things have happened in a short period of time. To simplify it, we soldiers have been "tamed". And by that, I mean we have been prepared for what is to come: a show.

Today, we've been transported to a town on the outskirts of a big city in Texas, although I don't remember the name of the city. Houston, I think?

We were then stuffed into a big theater-like area, fit with several seats and a stage.

But during the trip, we listened to the radio. Something a female reporter said caught my attention. Even now, as we are organized by the ceremony's director, I can hear their words echoing in my head.

"What America needs right now is a hero. Hopes are dwindling and our divided government is becoming chaotic. America needs a hero to step up and give the people some faith."

I understand. This medal ceremony has nothing to do with awarding us for our service and recognizing the courageous deeds we've done. This is all a show for war, society, and politics.

We need to show off a little, don't we? Show the enemy that we're strong. Awe society with our medals. Pause the bickering in politics with something all politicians can nod their head to.

We're on display tonight. Wonderful, isn't it?

The ceremony will begin in a couple of hours. As for now, the director is having a hard time getting us to listen.

"No, I said stand in lines five by eight!"

"But that's not how we usually stand," one soldier cooed.

"I am trying to make it fit on the stage!"

"Who the hell hired this guy?"

I pity him. Directing us is like herding cats. Frankly, I'm bored.

I'm on the stage, looking out at the seating area. It's medium in size, the seats plush and red. John, who lost interest a long time ago, sits in the front row, playing a game on his phone (a luxury we have been deprived of for quite some time).

I know the British soldiers are backstage, although I don't know what they're doing. They're not going to be involved in this ceremony. Instead, they will get their honors in Britain. I heard they're leaving today, and when I hear a small ruckus stir backstage, I figure that they finally got the orders to go.

I want to see them off.

I look around quickly, noticing that the director is busy explaining the correct way to stand. I figure no one will notice if I disappear for a while.

I find Alexander in the crowd and pass by him, nodding him to follow me as I slip backstage. Naturally, he follows without a question.

When we get backstage, I see the British soldiers filing out of a back exit, their gear on their backs.

"They're leaving now, huh?" Alexander asks.

"I guess so," I shrug.

We wait until the last British soldier is gone, then we follow them out. The back exit leads to a parking lot where all the Ocelots are left. We watch from afar as Charles Lee orders the soldiers into the Ocelots.

Interestingly enough, Aaron Burr is standing on the sidelines talking to none other than a little miss Peggy. Looks like she snuck away a while ago, and now she's exchanging final words with Burr.