LXXXII: Four Reunite

❝Guilt is perhaps the most painful companion of death.❞
—Coco Chanel

Horses are nice. In basic training, we were educated on how to handle military horses. We were told, however, that it would be unlikely that we would ever use them considering modern vehicles.

So I was pretty ecstatic to hear that we in the Inner Circle would be given horses as sophisticated transportation.

Anyway, the AC has finally arrived. Both a British and American unit. We station them in a camp rapidly set up outside of the city.

Washington sent Lafayette and Aphrodite out to greet the AC troops and converse with the present Generals (John and Charles) regarding the plans, which they will then communicate to their soldiers.

Meanwhile, Davidson, Alexander, and I stayed with Washington to accompany the Mayor at a final press briefing before the Mayor would leave to an undisclosed location somewhere else in Alaska.

I was anxious. There were so many cameras that were dead-set on my face, examining the smallest of movements of my muscles. A majority of the questions were regarding the AC's plans — the footage caught of the AC rolling in on Ocelots was surreal and cinematic.

I saw the footage for myself... It looked like the end of the country.

But that was earlier. I shouldn't be thinking about that now.

November 18, 2060.

We rode into the camp. The space is wide, two long tents perking out like mountains. Most of the area is used as a lot for Ocelots. It is here where the one and only Aaron Burr awaits for us, and it is here where we stop our horses. Alexander hops off.

"Good afternoon, Lieutenant Colonel Burr," Alexander greets.

"Afternoon, Hamilton." Burr tugs his trademark smile, although I can sense a spark of spite behind his breath. "Glad to see you made it here safely."

"Yes, well, the streets are vacant since city-wide curfew is starting to roll around," Alexander coos. He takes my hand and helps me off my horse, and I land on the hardpacked ground with ease. "We were asked to come here to check how things are going so far."

Burr motions for us to follow him. "Well, since Lafayette and Anderson left, Charles has gotten to work elaborately explaining the plan to the troops. He should be wrapping up in a few minutes."

We approach one of the tents and Burr pulls a flap just a sliver, giving us a peek at the interior, which is packed with both British and American AC soldiers, all focused completely on Charles, who stands upon a pedestal and pointing to a map of the city.

I feel my stomach spin. It feels like it has been a million years since I've seen Charles in person, and I'm definitely looking forward to talking to him.

Burr closes the flap again. "Everyone is settling fast."

"Excellent," Alexander nods. I'm partially annoyed by the tone Alexander puts on — he is trying really hard to sound much older than he is; I suppose the taunts of others have really gotten to him. "The shipment of flares and ammunition is expected to come in in the evening. Prepare to have them distributed properly."

There is someone I'm dying to see, and they don't seem to be around... I'll ask about it later.

We lounge around for a while. Burr offers us a look at the newly modified TFX rifle. It handles better, Burr said. I wanted to take some test shots, but Burr warned that it wasn't a good idea to start randomly firing guns. Burr also made a point to ask us why certain heavy-duty AC equipment was being withheld or reduced.