Part 7

Jimin's appearance made you realize that your time was running out. You had to find whatever evidence you needed & get out of there as soon as possible.
You waited until Jungkook fell asleep as usual & immediately rushed to the secret cabinet you saw him opening the night before.
You had no trouble getting through the rack to the hidden door behind it, but something went wrong when you punched in the passcode.
1-3-9-7-5-0. Peep!
Red light flashed on the keypad.
Fuck! I was sure that was the passcode. Did he change it?
Your hands started to sweat. You kept glancing back, afraid that Jungkook would suddenly wake up & find you here.
Maybe.. 1-3-9-7-5-8. Please let this be correct.
Your prayer was answered when the light on the keypad flashed green & the door clicked open.
Yes!
You quickly got in & took in your surroundings. The wall of the room was lined with cabinets & papers were strewn all over the table in the middle of the room. Your jaw dropped as you hastily rummaged through the papers & files.
"Oh my God, this is a gold mine."
All the evidence to unveil Jungkook's illegal business & activities were laid open there.
"Shit, I wish I have a camera with me right now." You frustratedly pushed your hair back.
A faint creaking sound in the distance caused your back to snap upright.
Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.
You swiftly tidied up the files that you'd pulled out & dashed out of the room, not forgetting to close the door quietly behind you.
Shit.
You could see Jungkook's shadow getting bigger & bigger as he came closer. Fortunately, it was very dark, otherwise he would've seen you already. There was no time to hide, so you quickly grabbed a glass from the drawer & pretended to pour water into it.
"Fuck. You scared me." Jungkook exclaimed as he flipped on the light switch.
"Sorry, I was too lazy to turn on the light." You chuckled, despite your heart hammering inside your chest & the back of your shirt clinging stickily onto your sweaty skin.
"What are you doing so late at night?" He asked while opening the fridge to grab the milk carton.
Then, you saw it, a piece of paper wedged underneath the door of the cabinet you just went into.
Your face turned as pale as a sheet & your heart felt like it was about to explode.
"Y/n?" He looked at you quizzically.
"I- I was thirsty & a bit hungry actually." Your eyes kept darting to the bottom of the cabinet door.
"Me too. Do you want some ramyeon?" He put down his glass of milk & was about to turn around, but you immediately stopped him.
"Sit down. I'll cook some for us." You pulled his hand & forced a smile on your lips.
Swiftly, you moved towards the pantry & bent down to pick up the paper on your way, then crumpled & threw it into the garbage bin.
You continued like nothing happened. Fortunately, Jungkook didn't seem to notice your uneasiness either.
Both of you ate the ramyeon you cooked while talking about your childhood & you saw an opening to ask him about Jimin.
"Didn't you say you were very close to Jimin? I saw the tension between the two of you earlier. It seemed like he didn't like you that much."
"We were, but he changed quite a bit when we grew older. Somehow, he was always jealous of me even though I don't think abeonim treated us any differently. Then, abeonim got assassinated. That made us a bit closer again as we tried to find the killer together. We were ok before he got caught, maybe he really was disappointed in me for not doing more to rescue him." Jungkook said as he swirled the remaining strands of ramen in his bowl with the chopsticks.
"I'm sorry.." You felt like it was your fault for making their relationship go sour.
"Don't be. It's not your fault. I would probably felt the same way if I were in his position. I mean, I fell in love with a cop who put him in jail. Of course he would think that I couldn't care less about him." He shrugged.
Your heart clenched, guilt gnawed at the deepest part of your heart knowing that he put so much at stake for you while you were just manipulating him.
"Do you regret it then?" You asked.
"Regret about what?" He lifted his vision to meet yours.
"About falling for me." Please say you do.
"No, I don't. You're the best thing that has ever happened to me & I don't give a fuck what other people say." There was nothing but sincerity in his dark brown eyes, causing tears to well up in yours.
Trying to hide your remorse, you leaned in & kissed him on the lips. The kiss tasted like ramyeon, but you didn't care. Neither did he.
Soon, you were busy taking each other's clothes off with your lips never leaving his, but the guilt kept tugging at you no matter how hard you tried to ignore it.
I'm sorry Jeon. If only we meet under different circumstances..