Part 10

Y/n POV
"Congratulations Y/n. You did a very good job. If not for you, we probably wouldn't be able to catch him ever." The chief shook your hand & smiled.
"Thank you Chief." You faked a smile in return, but inside guilt was eating you out. You couldn't erase that sad look on Jungkook's face from your mind.
Tonight's event was especially carried out for you, to award your accomplishment in bringing Jungkook to justice. Everyone congratulated you & patted your back when you walked through the ceremony hall. However, you just couldn't bring yourself to feel happy, so you hid yourself at a corner drowning your sorrow with wine.
"Hey Y/n, you're the man of the hour! What are you doing here all by yourself?" A sunbae of yours, Hwang sunbae, approached you with a drink in his hand. He seemed to have one too many drinks already.
"Nothing. I just feel like being alone for a while." You lifted your lips in a faint smile.
"Yeah, it must be tiring being the center of attention these past few days. But seriously though, we all thought that you were dead. I mean nobody had ever come back alive once they were captured by Jeon Jungkook. How did you do it? And all those evidences you attained. Damn."
You lowered your head & let him keep ranting on his own.
"I was surprised that Chief let Park Jimin go that easily. One interrogation session & that was it! He could've become a bargaining chip to help you get out of there sooner, don't you think? Chief is not as smart as I thought, but please don't tell him that I said that." He said as he gulped his drink in one go.
"What did you say?" You put down your glass & stared at him. His last words had gotten your attention.
"I said the chief isn't as sma-"
"No, before that."
"Oh. The chief interrogated Park Jimin personally once & then he let him go right after. He said we didn't have enough evidence to incarcerate him. That was bullshit, but of course, no one dared to challenge the chief." He scoffed.
What was Chief thinking? He specifically assigned me to guard the safe house Jimin was brought to because he said he was absolutely sure that he had evidence to force Jimin to confess & he couldn't trust anyone but me.
An uneasy feeling haunted you even after the party was done. You were mindlessly walking back to your apartment when suddenly a black van stopped right beside you. You had a bad feeling about it so you immediately ran as fast as you could. However, you were not fast enough. Soon, three men wearing dark clothings grabbed you & hit you right behind your neck. And then, everything went black.

—•—

The sound of door closing awakened you. You squinted your eyes at your surroundings & got confused for a second.
Isn't this Jungkook's house?
"Oh you're awake! Finally. I was getting tired of waiting."
That sickly saccharine voice. You shook your head & focused your vision on the source of the voice.
Park Jimin.
"I can't help you get Jungkook out of the prison, if that's what you want." You tried to stand up, but your head was spinning so you fell back down onto the sofa.
"Help him out? You think that's what I want?" He let out a sarcastic chuckle.
"Then what do you want from me? If you want to kill me for what I did to your brother, just do it." You hissed. At this point, you really didn't care anymore if he wanted to end your life.
"Tsk tsk.. Where's the fun in doing that? I need to tell you a story. A very interesting story. But I figured if I had invited you nicely, you wouldn't have come, so I asked my boys to get you." He smiled that evil smile of his.
"What story? Stop playing games & wasting my time."
"Trust me, you won't think that I'm wasting your time after you listen to me." He leaned back on his chair & crossed his legs.
"Alright. Get on with it then. What do you need to say?" You impatiently said.
"Ok. You ready? Once upon a time, there was a boy. He was happy living with his parents despite their bad economic situation. His dad worked as a construction worker & one unfortunate night, he became a witness to a crime that he wasn't supposed to see. The true culprit was someone with great power, so he instructed the detective responsible for that case to fabricate evidence & frame the boy's dad instead. As a result, the boy's father went into prison for a crime he didn't do. However, he was naive enough to believe that justice would prevail so he insisted on pleading not guilty. You know how powerful people can't stand leaving any loose end, so the true culprit paid someone to kill the boy's father & make it look like suicide."
"Omg.." You were absolutely absorbed in his story that you couldn't help but gasp at the tragedy.
"Wait, that's not the end. The true culprit also ended the detective's life with his own hand. He made it look like an accident on duty when in fact it was him who killed his own colleague."
Wait.. This whole story.. Could it be.. No way..
"The boy's mom died from cancer so he got sent to an orphanage. So did the detective's daughter, albeit a different one. The boy got adopted by a mob leader & the girl grew up to be a cop just like her father. Does this story sound familiar Y/n ssi?" Jimin raised his brow in amusement.
Your heart stopped. You knew exactly what he was insinuating.
"That's impossible. You're making all this up." You shook your head in disbelief.
"Well, I think you've got it. It's quite obvious, isn't it? The boy is Jungkook & the girl is you. Long story short, your dad was the one who fabricated evidence & put Jungkook's biological father into prison, causing his unjustly death. Buuut, do you want to know who's the real culprit?"
You had a rough guess about who Jimin was hinting at, but you refused to believe it.

"You might have guessed it already, but let me just say it out loud. The real culprit who killed both Jungkook's & your fathers was your beloved Chief."
Hearing the statement loud & clear hit you right in the gut.
"I don't believe you. If it's true, how do you know all this anw? I'm sure Chief wouldn't tell you that." You put on a brave face & tried to stay calm.
He's lying. Don't listen to him. He's trying to play with your head.
"During interrogation, that chief of yours asked me why Jungkook did what he did, he thought Jungkook did it only for the money. Then, I told him that it was much deeper than that. Jungkook hated the cops & justice system so much because of what happened to his biological father, Jeon Jinho. The moment I said that name, your chief's face turned ashen. Like he'd seen a ghost. He stopped the interrogation abruptly & when he came back, he asked me to cooperate with him to bring Jungkook down in return for the control of the gang. He also promised me that he would turn a blind eye on whatever I was charged with. Of course, I took the deal, butttt I knew something wasn't right so I began to snoop around. Well, lady of fortune was on my side. I was breaking into your chief's office, when I heard this.."
Jimin took out a mini recorder from his pocket & pressed play. In the beginning, it was only a static sound, but then you heard it, albeit slightly unclear. Chief's voice.
"Abeonim, you have to help me! That mafia leader, Jungkook, is Jeon Jinho's son & he's captured Y/n. Who's Y/n? Y/n is Jung hyeongsa's (detective) daughter! The one I murdered to cover up my crime! I don't know what's Y/n's status now, but I can't let them talk & figure out what we did to their fathers. What? It's all my fault? Really? I was going to confess & you were the one who instructed Jung hyeongsa to frame Jeon Jinho instead! How can you abandon me now?! I've struck a deal with Park Jimin to help me catch Jungkook. If you don't use some of your connection to help me, I promise I'll bring you down with me."
Jimin pressed the button again & the recording abruptly ended.
"T-This could be fake. Y-You could've easily made this up." You felt like someone was squeezing your throat making it difficult for you to breathe & speak.
He couldn't possibly do that. He's been so kind to me, I treat him like my own father. This must be fake, I shouldn't trust Jimin.
"Why would I make this up? You're a smart girl, go check out the facts yourself. That's what I did. Jeon Jinho's case, year 2005. Go check the case file then decide whether I'm lying or not." Jimin snickered.
"Why are you telling me all this? What's your intention?" Tears of horror began to well in your eyes.
"Aww, there there. Don't cry. I'm telling you this as my gratitude for helping me become the leader of this 'enterprise', now that Jungkook is gone. So what are you gonna do with the information I gave you Y/n ssi? Are you going to kill your dear chief? Or are you going to stay quiet like your father until he gets to you first?" Jimin raised his brows & let out an evil laugh.
"I-I need to go." You rose from your seat & staggered towards the door.
"Wait. Here, this is for you." Jimin threw the voice recorder at you, which you caught & put it safely inside your pocket.
"Let my man escort you out. Yongsu ya, she's leaving." Jimin called out.
"Yongsu? Didn't he get captured with Jungkook?" Your eyes widened in shock seeing Yongsu entering the room.
"It was all an act. He's been my man all along so he got released with barely a slap on the wrist. Who did you think put that cellphone inside the safe in your room? Tsk tsk tsk, you're not as smart as I thought you were." Jimin clicked his tongue in amusement looking at your bewildered expression.
"You.. Jungkook trusted you! How dare you betray him?!" You yelled at Yongsu.
"Watch your mouth miss. You also betrayed him, remember?" Yongsu said with a deadpan expression.
"Now now, we don't need to fight over who's the worse traitor. Yongsu ya, get her out of here, she has a mission to do. I'll see you again Y/n ssi." Jimin waved at you & exited the room.