Part 11

Once you'd left the mansion, you went straight to the police station & look for Jungkook's father's case file. Oddly, that particular file was missing.
Something isn't right.
Thus, you decided to search the chief's office.
Luckily, it was weekend so there weren't that many people roaming around the hall. You got into the chief's office quite easily & began to rummage through the drawers & cupboards. That was when you found Jeon Jinho's case file in his desk drawer.
You frantically opened the file & read it through.
Jeon Jinho, 38. Convicted of rape murder of Kim Misoon, 25.
You reached the end of the report & it was signed by the detective in charge, Jung Haein. Your father.
So what Jimin said was true.
Suddenly, you felt as if the air was knocked out of you. You dropped the file on the desk & clutched your chest, tears streaming down your face.

"What are you doing?" A voice shocked you out of your daze.
The light was instantly turned on & there he was. Your chief.
"Y/n? What are you doing in my office so late at night?" His eyes widened in surprise.
You swiftly slipped the file underneath your shirt & turned around to face him.
"S-sorry Chief, I felt depressed & didn't know where else to go, so my feet involuntarily brought me here." You said as you wiped away your tears with the back of your hand.
"I know it must have been hard for you to readjust to normal life." He came closer to you & laid his hand on your shoulder. You had to muster all the restraint you had to stop yourself from punching him in the face. After a few seconds of silence, he opened his mouth again.
"Y/n ah, did he- did he ask you anything about your childhood? Or tell you anything about his?" The hint of nerves in his voice that he unsuccessfully tried to hide made you want to laugh out loud.
You stared at him quietly, which made him even more nervous.
"Why do you ask that? Is there something about my childhood that is of interest to him?" You finally asked in a deadpan expression.
"Oh. No no. It's just- Never mind. Do you want to sit down? Coffee?" He looked visibly flustered.
"Thank you, but I think I should head home now. I've bothered you too much already. Again, I apologize for walking into your office unannounced. Have a good night, Sir." You bowed at him & quickly walked out of his office before he could form a reply.
The clock was ticking. Soon, he would find out that you'd stolen Jungkook's father's case file & then he would for sure hunt you down.
I need to see Jungkook.
You hurriedly went back home & changed into a pair of black trousers, white shirt, & black leather jacket. You were looking for a bag to carry the case file & voice recorder Jimin gave you when something caught your eyes. The flash drive that you found in Jungkook's abeonim's room.
Shit, how could I forget to submit this for evidence?
You were about to put it in your bag along with the other stuffs, but then you decided to check the content first. You turned on your laptop & plugged the usb in. There was only a single video file inside. You clicked on the icon & waited for it to load.
The image that materialized before you made you cock your head in bewilderment.
Isn't that Jungkook's abeonim?
Then, the video began to play.
"Jungkook ah, if you've found this video, then that means that I'm no longer living in this world. I just want you to know that I love you with all my heart, even though I'm not your biological father. I'm sorry for not being able to express myself better, but I consider you & Jimin as my biggest achievements in life. I'm grateful & proud that you had grown into the man that you are now. You are always considerate & kind despite the environment you grew up in. Sadly, I can't say the same thing about Jimin. You might have noticed that he is always jealous of you. He thinks that I prefer you to him & he has voiced his discontent to me a lot of times. The peak was when he found out that I was inheriting the majority of the company to you in my will. My decision was not made because I love you more, but because I caught him smuggling money out of the company & working with our rivals against us. Thus, I believe that you will be a better leader than him. Jimin had threatened to kill me for what I've done & I believe that he will carry out his threat. So, whatever happened to me, it might be Jimin's doing. But please, don't fight him, he's your only family in this world. Forgive him Jungkook ah, because I have forgiven him."
"Oh my God.." You muttered under your breath once the video ended.
The need to talk to Jungkook had become even more urgent now. You hastily unplugged the usb, stuffed it in your bag & then dashed out the door to see Jungkook.
—•—
"Ma'am, I can't do anything. The visitation hour is already over." The guard at the Seoul detention center said to you in annoyance.
"Please. I only need to ask him a few questions. You do know that his case is very urgent, right? The Chief is directly overlooking this case & I'm the one who made it even possible for you to catch him." You fervently explained.
"You are officer Y/n? Ommo, please forgive me, I didn't recognize you earlier. You're a legend around here. I mean-"
"Thank you, so can I see him now?" You impatiently cut off his sentence.
"Oh yes, sure. Please wait in the visitor's room, I'll bring him out. It's gonna take a while though, because it's weekend & my colleague is on break now, so I have to do everything on my own. So please be patient."
It had been almost fifteen minutes, but the guard hadn't brought Jungkook to the room yet.
Did something go wrong? You nervously bit your nails while checking your watch.
The guard suddenly barged in with a reluctant Jungkook in tow.
"Sorry ma'am. He refused to see you but I managed to drag him here. You have 30 minutes, I'll be right outside." He nodded & smiled at you before exiting the room.
Jungkook just stood there staring at the ground, looking gaunt & lifeless. Seeing him again after everything you'd found out made your heart clench in extreme guilt. Not only had you betrayed him, your father had indirectly caused his father's death as well. What a messed up situation.
"J-Jeon, I know you probably don't want to see me ever again, but I have something to tell you." You gulped down the sob that was threatening to escape from your throat & said as calmly as possible.
He didn't respond, he didn't even move a muscle.
"Jeon, please I beg you. I need to talk to you about your father."
That got his attention. He lifted his eyes to meet yours & they were so empty like a black hole sucking you into the darkness.
"You have 5 minutes." He sighed as he sat down on the metal chair.
"Please listen to me carefully. We don't have much time."
Then, you began to tell him everything you'd found out, except the fact that you were the daughter of the detective who put his father in jail.