Eight: Flashback & Late Night Promises

The bus was officially quiet. Everyone was asleep, I was the only one up at this point. It was dark out, and stars started to poke out. I identified both the Big Dipper and the Little Dipper, something I always did at home. My mind was racked with thoughts that I couldn't quite manage, and made sure that I tried to file them all away.

My little bed was comfortable, but I knew for a fact I wasn't going to be able to sleep tonight. For starters, I had no radio to block out the defining silence in the air. It drove me crazy, I needed something to listen to before I slept. I also had other things on my mind before I could even sleep.

Sully gave me a hard time about Freddie while we waited for the tire to be finished. He told me that I shouldn't be close to a man like him. He would break my heart he said.

"Freddie went out with a girl before. What happened to her?" Sully asked me, the irritation so hard.

"Things probably didn't work out! Besides, how do you know that about Freddie? Did he tell you that?!" I asked defensively.

"Never mind that-"

"No, please tell me Sully." I crossed my arms over my chest. "Are you interfering in Freddie's personal life?"

"Now do you think I would do something like that?" Sully snapped.

But when I exited that bus, and Freddie came behind me to talk as he wrapped his arms around my waist, something flipped inside of me. I felt calm, and warm in his embrace.

I smiled softly to myself as I thought about the small gestures he would make at me. Not only that, but I could tell he was trying to make me feel as comfortable as he could around him. It's weird, just a few months ago, I was so afraid to meet the band. I saw Freddie as an imitating figure. Even when we did meet, he was hard towards me. It was very difficult for us to become close.

Freddie was able to change my mind the night at the studio, though. I bet he brought it up as well, and I know I've brought it up on many occasions, but this was important to the both of us, well, important to me anyways. Freddie was able to take out all that hatred I had towards him and change it into a blossoming friendship that I am certainly enjoying.

My eyes lingered on my notebook as I thought about that night...

Month ago

Freddie was beside me with a drink in his hand. He had cracked a small joke and both of us were laughing quietly. It was definitely weird being able to talk to this man, when hours ago he was on my throat.

It had quieted down, and I pressed the cold glass to my lips. I studied the man in front of me. His hair was short, much shorter than it was a couple years ago. He had a sharp jawline that could cut anyone and his cheeks caved in. His upper lip always covered his teeth, that were definitely larger than I've seen before. His body was lengthy and thin, and his one leg was crossed over the other. But the thing that caught me the most were his eyes. Freddie had chocolate eyes that hid yet spoke every word that he keeps inside. They always caught me, and they always put me in a trance that only Freddie could snap me out of.

What also amazed me tonight was how, what's the word, human he acted. Sure, he had an outfit that was definitely outrageous, sorry, unique, for a man, but it didn't define him. Freddie was a human being, obviously, but behind that showman stood a man who was very lonely. I picked it up right away as we talked, that Freddie seemed that he always had to have someone around him all the time, being here in the studio with me for example.

"Mia!"

I jumped in my seat. Freddie started to chuckle as I batted my eyes. "Yes?"

"You zoned out."