Twenty-Four: Coming Back

John

Ah, it felt very nice to sleep in this morning. I was able to stay in this morning, not worry about anything. I actually spent most of my morning on the balcony, enjoying the view and the hot weather.

By noon, Roger stopped by and took me out for lunch, even though I wasn't really in the mood to. But he insisted, saying that he knew a place that I would very much enjoy.

When we arrived, I quickly noticed that the restaurant was very close to the airport. Many people walked down the street with their suitcases. They all looked like giraffes, their necks high as if they were trying to figure out where they were going. Some of them were quicker than others. I only say this because a woman bumped right into me, quickly said sorry before running off again.

"Damn, I wonder what's got her in such a fucking hurry." Roger commented as he stared at her walked down the street.

I shrugged as we walked into the diner. "Frankly, that's none of my concern."

As we were taken to our seats, Roger gave me an elbow as he pointed at a group of girls in the corner of the diner.

"Aren't they cute?" Roger questioned as we sat down.

"I'm married, Roger." I replied bluntly.

"I wasn't stating for you!" Roger exclaimed. "Besides, I don't need them."

"Well, they seem like they need you." I muttered as I picked up my menu.

Quickly we ordered our drinks and food. We sat silently together for a little while. I watched Roger carefully. His hand was tapping the table impatiently as he stared out the window. It almost seemed as if he was expecting someone, but no one was coming. Well, at least I knew no one was coming. Knowing Roger though, I knew it wouldn't be too hard to get the information out of him.

"So, Roger, are you... expecting someone?" I asked slowly.

Roger snapped his head towards me. "Pft, no. I'm not expecting anyone. I wanted to enjoy a good lunch with my best friend!"

"Then why are you looking out the window so much?"

Roger swallowed. "Well, uh, it is a very nice day out. Why aren't you looking outside?"

"Because your continuous tapping is giving me a headache." I quipped.

Roger moves his hand from the table as he shuffled in his seat. "I'm sorry."

"There's definitely something on your mind. Now, why won't you tell me?"

"Because I was promised not to tell anyone!" Roger exclaimed, running a hand through his hair.

There we go.

"Oh! Do tell! Could it be a secret lover? O-or someone at the hotel?" None of them made him jerk. He just rolled his eyes at all of them.

"What about Mia?" I questioned, which caused Roger to visibly tense up.

"W-what about her?" Roger stuttered.

I shrugged. "I don't know. But you do look absolutely suspicious at the moment."

Roger shook his head, as if he was fighting his own thoughts. "A-alright!!" Roger exclaimed, throwing his hands up. "Alright, but you can't tell anyone!"

"I won't tell."

"You promise?" Roger asked holding out his pinky.

"I promise Rog-"

"You have to pinky promise!"