Sixteen: Puzzle Pieces

A half hour from when Freddie and I hung up the phone I got a couple of knocks on my front door. Legend let out a single bark, following me to the front door. There stood, in the darkness of the night, one of the people I've grown to love as a friend (and maybe a lover, wait, what?).

"Nice of you to show up." I greeted with a small chuckle.

"Sorry, I'm sure you didn't want to see me in just my knickers." Freddie said, avoiding Legend the best he could as he slipped off his shoes.

"I'm actually surprised you sleep with underwear." I chuckled.

"Oh, that's how you imagine me when I'm not around?" Freddie smirked.

"No- I just- I-"

"What? Cat got your tongue all of a sudden?" Freddie questioned jokingly.

I slapped him playfully, causing a laugh to escape Freddie's lips. That is, until Legend barked and Freddie jumped a few feet back. Now I was the one laughing as I patted Legend's head.

"Good boy." I looked up at Freddie, who just stared blankly at the dog. "Coming?"

Freddie nodded his head. "Of course."

We walked into the living room where I sat myself onto the couch. Legend left to lay in his giant bed as I patted the spot next to me. Freddie didn't hesitate as he set himself on the couch. I was about to share a blanket with him before I snapped my fingers.

"Wait, I'm forgetting something!" I jumped up from the couch and headed towards the kitchen. "What would you prefer, Frederick? Rum, whiskey, tequila, vodka...?"

"Actually, could I have a vodka tonic?"

"With ice?" I asked taking the glasses out of the cupboard.

"Yes please."

"Coming right up!" I called with a laugh, preparing our liquor.

I returned with two glasses, handing Freddie's his. He thanked me lightly as he took a sip. I sat back down, bringing the blanket over both my lap and his.

"So, Freddie..." His brown eyes locked with mine as he set his glass down on the table, "what was with the snap earlier, huh?"

"It's a long story, dear." I rolled my eyes, which caused a single chuckle to escape Freddie's lips. "But, I do apologize. Things have been... stressful."

"You know, I don't get you. I really don't." I stated seriously.

"Trust me, dear, getting to know me is like finishing a puzzle without the right pieces." Freddie chuckled.

"No, I have the outer edges, I just don't have the inside." I replied.

Freddie chuckled before noticing the shirt I was wearing. He pointed at it, a little grin plastered on his face. "Is that mine?"

My cheeks flushed pink. "Yeah, I forgot to hand it back to you. Do you want it back?"

Freddie shook his head. "Keep it. It looks better on you anyways."

I gasped dramatically. "A piece of clothing actually looks better on me than on Freddie Mercury! How shocking!"

Freddie rolled his eyes as he adjusted himself on the couch. "Darling, many things look good on me."

"Like tonight's outfit." I mumbled in agreement.

"I'm guessing you liked it." Freddie chuckled.

"Again, you don't look bad in anything. Even the tabloids can agree to that one!" I exclaimed, taking a sip from my drink.

Freddie chuckled before he, as well, took a sip from his drink. Then his eyes went calm as he stared at me. I cocked my head, looking back at him with a questioning look. "What?"