Chapter 5

When Lucas says his name, my brothers get even more angry than they were before. "He is not your friend and you will stay away from him! He is dangerous!" Jax informs me. "It was an accident! He apologized and I forgave him, so he is my friend!" I say to all of them hoping they will accept it, but of course they don't.

"It doesn't matter if it was an accident he hurt our baby sister, and we will not allow him near you again!" Alex tells me. "We will have a chat with your 'friend' Ryder," Dean says. I roll my eyes and my stomach growls. I didn't eat breakfast this morning and I'm starving.

"Of course we will," Xavier says, "Now where is your lunch little missy?"  "I didn't bring any and I don't have money," I tell them. "I'll go buy you something to eat," Jax says getting up and waiting for me. Once I'm up and standing next to him, he walks me over to the line and I see lots of curious eyes and even some with disgust. These people don't even know me! Why are they so judgmental? Jax puts his arm around my shoulders sensing my discomfort and buys me a cheeseburger with some fries and a water.

We walk back to our table and dean asks me, "How has your day been so far?" All their eyes turn to me waiting on my answer. "Good! I made some new friends! I was sitting with them before I was embarrassingly picked up and carried over here" I say sending a look to Xavier and they turn into protective mode again. "What are they names?" "Are they nice to you?" "Are they girls?" "Please say they are girls!" I get asked all at once.

"Their names are Katie, Oliver, and Jacob. They have all been very nice. Katie is a girl and Oliver is gay." I say leaving out Ryder even though he is technically my friend now, but I didn't need to go through another lecture. "What about Jacob? Has he tried anything?" Maddox asks me getting angry. "No! He is very nice and a shy person," I inform him trying to calm him down. My brothers tell me they will allow it but they will be watched closely to see if they qualify to be my friend. *eye roll*

We continue to talk and laugh until the bell rings signaling lunch is over. We all go our separate ways and I head to my 5th period science. While walking down the hallway, I see people move to get out of my way and then stand by their lockers staring at me and whispering to each other. How strange? When I walk into the classroom, I see the familiar face of none other than Ryder. He notices me and smiles, so I walk over and sit next to him.

"Hey, I realized I never heard your name," Ryder says. "Emma" I tell him. "Beautiful name for a beautiful girl," he says with a wink. I roll my eyes, "That might work on other girls, but you're gonna need to try a little harder for me," I inform him with a smirk.

He laughs and says, "I should've known you weren't going to be like other girls."  "Darn straight!" I say. "So can I get your number now?" He asks me yet again. "Sure, I might as well give it to you, but my brothers are gonna have a 'chat' with you, so I hope they at least don't aim for your face," I say and start typing my number in. "Are you saying you like my face?" He asks cockily. "Well I mean I've seen better, but it's not too shabby," I lie with a shrug. He is hands down the best looking guy I've ever seen!

"What?" He says in mock disbelief, "Who could be better than this?" He asks pointing at himself. "Joe," I say. "Who's Joe?" He asks with a hint of jealousy. "JOE MAMA!!" I scream with a goofy grin on my face causing everyone to look at me and make me blush in embarrassment. I get a little carried away with the punch line sometimes. "You're such a dork," Ryder says rolling his eyes and chuckling. Then the teacher starts to teach and we stop talking to listen and take notes.

When I walk into the hallway after the bell rings, I find Katie talking with Oliver and Jacob again. I walk up to them and they look at me with confusion. "How do you know the Blackston brothers?" Oliver asks me. "Umm...they're kinda my brothers," I say reluctantly. "Oh my God!" They all say in unison. "What's the big deal with them? I've been getting weird looks all day," I ask confused why everyone is acting so weird.

"You're brothers are like gods at this school and nobody would dare to mess with them!" Katie exclaims. "Oh sh*t! Are they gonna kill me for talking to you?" Jacob asks looking worried. "No, I've already told them that y'all are my friends and as long as y'all are nice to me, they are fine with it," I explain.

They accept this and Katie and I make our way to Spanish. The class passes by pretty fast and now it's time for gym, the last period of the day, which I have with all my brothers and friends. Katie and I walk into the locker room and she leads me to some lockers in the back. We change into our gym clothes and as I'm walking by a mirror I stop and ask Katie, "Where is the rest of it?" It is a short t-shirt with short shorts that my butt is almost falling out of. My brothers are not going to be happy with this.

We walk into the gym and I hear some boys wolf-whistle causing my brothers to look up and see me in my clothes. "Hey! The next person who disrespects my little sister like that will have my fist in their face!" Xavier threatens causing everyone to look away. My brothers run up to us and Maddox throws his sweatshirt over my head. It's ginormous and almost goes down to my knees. "Much better," Alex says to which my brothers nod.

Then the coach comes in and tells us that we will be playing dodgeball. He splits us into teams and all my brothers are on one team with Katie, and I am on the other team with Oliver, Jacob, and much to my brothers dismay, Ryder. Ryder walks up to me—Is he asking to be punched—and I look at my brothers to see them all glaring at him with their arms crossed. Oh no...They do that when they are very mad.

"What's up Emma?" Ryder asks me nonchalantly. "Well, right now I'm wondering how much longer it will be till my brothers come over here to kill you," I explain to him. He laughs and we walk onto the court and get ready to play. Oliver and Jacob walk up to us then and I greet them. "This is Oliver and Jacob," I tell Ryder. He nods to them then the coach tells us to get ready and blows his whistle.

I'm pretty athletic from growing up with 8 boys, so after a little bit it's just Ryder and I left on my team, and only my brothers are left on the other team. I throw the ball at Lucas, but the little twerp manages to catch it, so now it's just Ryder against my brothers. Yikes! They all throw their balls at him at one time, and Ryder gets hit by every one of them.

After that the coach tells us we are done for the day, so Katie and I walk into the locker room to get changed. "You did so good!" Katie tells me. "Thanks!" I reply back. "Sooo...What's going on with you and Ryder?" She asks me suggestively. "He is just my friend," I tell her. "No way! I saw the way he was looking at you. He definitely wants you," Katie tells me. I don't know what to respond, so I just blush and look down.

Since this is the last period of the day, once we are changed Katie leaves to go get on the bus, but I go to find my brothers to take me home. When I walk out of the locker room, I see Xavier holding Ryder up against the wall by his collar surrounded by my other brothers.