8 - Huening Kai

"This isn't MapleStory," Huening Kai states, while walking across the jet bridge. "This is real life. Like, we can actually die."

Soobin immediately places a hand against his back. He often calls Soobin his glue. But honestly, they both need each other. They've gotten through years of training together, so they'll get through this madness as well. Whatever sort of magic is going on. His whole team will come out of this strangeness healthy and happy.

Right now, all Soobin can manage is a tight smile. "Don't say that. No one is dying any time soon."

Yeonjun looks thoughtful. In preparation of their one-way flight to Seoul, he dyed his hair a stunning sapphire. The color looks almost identical to the dye during their first comeback. The Dream Chapter: MAGIC's release seems like a lifetime away. Who knew they'd face an actual force of magic?

In the light of the jet bridge, Huening Kai admires how each strand seems to glow like metal in sunlight. Unlike the other boys, he's never dyed his hair for a comeback. Now, he feels like he should try out all the shades before he gets killed by the Black Mage.

Okay. Breathe in, then out. He was once a trainee who got anxious too easily, but he has to put what he's learned to good use—emptying his mind and letting the thoughts roll off his back. He pictures himself as a turtle, burying his head in the sand when the storm comes.

In MapleStory, Kai was a warrior. He was a timid kid, so he chose that class so he'd be able to be brave for once. He enjoyed his time being the strongest version of himself. In fact, playing the game helped him gain confidence. It gave him an avenue to express himself. Plus, he could talk to whoever he wanted! He was no longer shy.

Now, Kai knows he'll have to fully embrace his role as a warrior. The team had a long talk last night, in the living room, while Taehyun worked on his laptop to book their flights at lightning speed. Each boy voiced their fears of confronting a monster as wicked as the Black Mage. At the same time, Kai tried to insert his usual positivity into the mix.

"It's important to band together," he had said. "I think there's a reason why the Mage showed himself to us. We have to be strong."

While he makes the first step into the airplane, he begins to doubt his own words. Calm yourself, Hyuka, you have to be a good warrior for the team.

"Our seats are all the way in the back," says Taehyun. Out of all of them, Taehyun's tone is the most cool and collected. "Beomgyu, I know you want the window seat so you better go first. Yeonjun, I think you should sit closest to the aisle, since you want to order the most food."

"What about me?" Kai asks, brightening his tone to lighten the mood.

"You and Soobin can sit together," Taehyun replies.

They laugh together, almost returning to their usual antics as the plane begins to make its preparation for takeoff. As usual, Kai listens to the attendants drone on about the importance of seat belts and knowing how exactly to handle the emergency air bag. Kai almost falls asleep in the process, but Beomgyu wakes him up with a holler.

"It's the takeoff," Beomgyu cheers. "My favorite part of the whole flight."

"I'm surprised you like flights at all," Soobin says. "They make me kind of nervous."

"Lighten up, Soobinie," says Huening Kai.

The team laughs at the nickname. Kai begins to believe that maybe Taehyun was right in believing the Black Mage really was a collective hallucination.

Then again... Yeonjun turning invisible was so inherently real. Kai saw right through him. One moment, Yeonjun was there, and the next all he could see was an empty booth and a fluorescent-lit wall where his hyung once stood. He's embarrassed of how loud he screamed.

The Nocturna Lounge staff had rushed over, their footsteps escalating the panic in Huening Kai's heart. Right when they entered the booth area, Yeonjun had reappeared again. In the silence, their desktops continued to show the Maple Word, in all its brightness and innocence. They excused themselves and fled the gaming cafe as quickly as possible. Huening Kai's joy at reliving his favorite game was snuffed out instantly.

Harnessing the powers of a video game ability? It just doesn't make sense they're the only people on earth experiencing these forces. Why isn't the news covering similar happenings on earth? Why did the universe choose TOMORROW X TOGETHER?

The worries haunt Huening Kai until he's finally able to fall asleep. He's awakened by the sound of the flight attendant asking him which meal he wants—chicken and rice or pasta. In front of him, Yeonjun is shaking with excitement. Kai doesn't understand his obsession with airplane food in the least.

Kai opens his mouth to answer, but his heart stops instead.

The flight attendant, a kind lady with chestnut hair and brown eyes, disappears. Her humanness is sucked away, the politeness shifting away to something sinister. Shadows cover her until her form completely changes. Huening Kai doesn't take long to panic. She's taken the exact silhouette of the Black Mage. The form becomes more and more solid until there's only the Mage holding a wand of black steel.

The monster lets out a snarl, followed by a raspy laugh. It's as if the beast can see right through all of Kai's insecurities. It knows just how scared he is. He is completely transparent, and the Mage is feeding off his fear.

Kai screams. "Get away from us!"

Soobin was sleeping soundly behind him, and Kai's screaming wakes him. TXT's leader jolts and hits his head against the window. He groans and clutches his head, completely oblivious.

He shouts again, jumping around like a mad bunny. But his seat belt is locking him down firm and tight. "Is this a dream? Beomgyu, Yeonjun! Guys!"

When he looks around, the other members are frozen in pure fear as well. Even Soobin, who has recovered from his haze. Once Beomgyu screams, the whole team breaks loose into a total symphony of screeching crows. After a few seconds of mayhem, the Mage disappears.

And the flight attendant looks at Kai as if she's seeing a monster in him. "Sir? What's the problem with you and your friends?"

The other flight attendants have also gathered around. Huening Kai and his team have made quite the scene. Babies are crying, people are staring at them with wide eyes, and even the plane seems to be a bit shaky.

"There's no problem at all," Kai says, putting on his good-boy voice at full force. His hands are shaking, but he attempts to hide them by pressing them against the armrests. "I just woke up from a bad nightmare."

"All five of you?" she says, the note of suspicion rising.

"We scream to make him feel like he's not alone," says Beomgyu, panicked. "I know it sounds weird, but you just have to believe us."

"Just because you're famous doesn't mean you can get away with antics like this," says the flight attendant. "One more outburst and we'll have to turn the plane around."

Huening Kai sighs in relief after he successfully places his order for pasta.

He doesn't feel hungry at all. When nervous, he often skips meals because he hates when his stomach churns.

But Kai thinks about MapleStory. In the game, all sorts of food are used to recover health points. He envisions himself as a character in the game. After that attack, he's going to need about five or so plates. 

A/N: The warrior is entering his training! Love you MOA!