32 - Yeonjun

In the apartment at Dongdaemun, looking out toward the glistening lights of the city, Yeonjun waits while Taehyun attempts to summon the magic door—their last hope at reaching Beomgyu and bringing him back to safety.

Or what if he doesn't want to come back? What if Beomgyu is ignoring all of their calls on purpose? He could've cracked under the pressure of the Castle, and now he wants nothing to do with the mission or even the entirety of TOMORROW X TOGETHER.

Or what if Beomgyu was manipulated by the Mage? He could be in a hotel in Gangnam, pushing his past to the background while the Black Mage offers him rewards for being an ally. Power, control, fame.

Yeonjun shakes his head, trying to rid his mind of dark thoughts. Beomgyu would never betray them like that. He may have been angry, but not so emotional that he wouldn't be able to distinguish between good and evil. The boy he grew up with is a heartbroken mess sometimes, but he was and always remains a member with determination and character.

Yeonjun recalls all the moments where Beomgyu shows love to his fans. He always uses the sweetest tone when talking to MOA, and all aspects from his smile to his hand gestures are soft and caring.

So there's no way Beomgyu would've joined the forces of the Mage. Yeonjun deletes that thought like setting dry wood on fire.

"Guys!"

Yeonjun turns around at the sound of Taehyun's voice. In the middle of the living room, like a beacon of salvation in the middle of the team, is a giant blue door. The creation seems made from melted sapphire and blue topaz, and the center swirls and wavers like it's a living being.

Taehyun is sweating from head to toe. He collapses and leans his back against his couch. "I don't think I can move. Someone else needs to go through the door."

Yeonjun jumps at the opportunity. "I'll go."

Soobin and Huening Kai are quick to react. They stand next to him and extend their arms like blockades, as if the door is turning into a threat. "You shouldn't go alone, Yeonjun," says Huening Kai. "We might get separated again."

"It's a one person job," Yeonjun says. "I'll go quickly, grab Beomgyu, and I'll be right back. It'll only put more of us in danger if we all head through."

Soobin lets his hand rest against his side. "If you really want to do this, you have to be quick."

"I'm the rogue of the team," Yeonjun says. "I should be the most qualified to bring Beomgyu back."

Taehyun calls above the humming of his mystic door. "Guys, we have to hurry. I don't know how much longer the door will last before disappearing."

Yeonjun jumps through without letting any panic set in. He finds himself in a bright town in the countryside. The sun is shining through a sky of clear blue, barely any clouds in sight. The houses here are rustic, wood painted in vibrant tones. Cobblestones sculptures are shaped like heroes of old. In the distance are patches of sunflowers, a meadow, and rolling hills. And the people rushing around are dressed like characters from MapleStory.

Wait. These people are from MapleStory. Yeonjun recognizes the mages in tunics carrying wooden wands. Rogues, his own people, carry daggers and are dressed in dark tones—black jumpsuits, for example. Archers, pirates, and warriors complete the visual, but they give him no care as he begins to roam the grassy streets.

He walks for a few minutes. He seems to be invisible to the people of the town. If he remembers correctly, this place is called Henesys. He's overjoyed to receive a piece of his childhood, a part of the puzzle that will never leave him. But the feeling is brief when he remembers his real mission—rescuing Beomgyu.

As he walks along, he's stunned when a man with sunglasses and a bucket hat exits a home. He places a hand on the doorknob of the house, which is a single story studio with an orange capped roof, and shuts it tight. The home reminds Yeonjun of a mushroom, but his eyes are drawn on the person who takes off in the opposite direction.

J-hope?

Yeonjun reaches the same house which he exited. He tests the knob, finding it locked. But he quickly creates a dagger and uses the hilt to hammer against it. The lock comes loose, and he's able to enter into a dark room.

"Yeonjun?" says a small voice.

"Beomgyu!" Yeonjun rushes forward. He takes in the sight of his team mate, who seems exhausted with droopy eyes and his arms and legs limp. "C'mon, let's get you out of here."

He takes in the bindings of Beomgyu's arms and legs. He uses his dagger easily for the ropes, but the chains are a much harder challenge. A few minutes pass of Yeonjun sawing against one of the links. He hopes he'll be able to complete the task before J-hope or the Mage returns.

"How did you find me?" Beomgyu asks. "I don't even know where I am."

Yeonjun shakes his head, putting an ounce more of strength into his efforts. "It's a little complicated. Taehyun used one of his advanced skills."

"Magic door?" Beomgyu asks.

Yeonjun smiles, looking up. "That's the one." He admires his team mate and how he's healthy for the most part, and the relief that washes over him is overwhelming. How could he be so stupid to think that Beomgyu would betray their team for a simple reward from the Mage?

"I'm just so glad," Yeonjun. "I...."

"Don't say anything cheesy right now," Beomgyu says. "And no dad jokes either. Just get me out of here."

"I'm trying," Yeonjun says. "It's like someone put a spell over these chains."

He realizes that his wild guess might as well be true. He uses a stabbing skill to attempt to break the chains apart, but not even a nick appears in the metal.

"Yeonjun!"

Yeonjun looks up, seeing a blue light coming for him. It travels quickly, a swirling being. "It's the door," he says. "Taehyun's power must be running out."

He stabs twice more against the chains, but nothing succeeds. He's wrapped in the blue light while Beomgyu stares at him with widened eyes.

Yeonjun reaches out, trying to take his best friend with him. But the power of the chains seems to disenchant the magic. He can't hold onto Beomgyu, and the magic door pushes his arm back.

His hands are empty while he blinks away. He's failed his most important mission so far.

A/N: Merry Christmas MOA! I hope you have an amazing time with your friends and family :).