14 - Taehyun

The week passes in a mad rush. First of all, Taehyun attempts to master his new powers. The hot sauna becomes an entity in itself, something to be feared daily. After the training sessions, where Taehyun might manage a magic bolt or two, they meet with Topaz.

Although the man is mostly respectful, the stress of being ordered around is heavy on Taehyun's shoulders. The missions come one after the other. First, go walking around the less crowded districts and see if they can distinguish between a follower of a Mage and an unexpecting stranger. Then, find pets on the streets and see if they've been possessed by the Mage. The final mission almost sends Taehyun over the edge. Topaz expects them to go back to the creepy convenience-store man and use their newfound skills to eliminate the evil within him.

Taehyun is more than glad that the worker quit his job.

Meanwhile, Taehyun listens to his teammates drone on about the best way to beat the Black Mage. Usually, they have pretty similar opinions. But every member seems to have their own take on the best method of fighting and survival.

One day, one member could be set on leaving Topaz and finding another mentor. The next day, the majority of them could be fighting for heading back to Hawaii. None of them wants to voice it completely, but they're all scared. A monster from a fantasy world wasn't something in the plans of being an entertainer.

Taehyun realizes that, even after debuting, he's still a coward. He thought after the debut evaluations, he could face anything that blocks his path. But the Mage just might be the exception—the spike in the road that may cause TXT to split apart forever.

It seems the plans of Taehyun's life are always up for grabs. He doesn't want to admit his feelings to his best friends, but he misses his parents more than ever. They're much warmer in spirit than Topaz, and they would definitely join him in the fight with the Mage. They believe Taehyun's every word. They fight for him and always praise his intelligence. Even when he once got in trouble for hacking into a bully's email account, they reflected on how smart their son was—how the hacking must've taken a ton of brain power.

He misses them, he wishes he could run back to them, and the spirit of his team is sinking with every passing moment.

So when BTS finally arrives back in Seoul, Taehyun could sing for joy. A few train stops away, TXT arrives at the Lotte Hotel in Myeongdong. A few bodyguards meet the members at the entrance. They're led through an opulent lobby and into the elevator, where the guard presses the button to the penthouse.

"It's been so long," Huening Kai says. His voice is soft, almost reverent in the light of meeting one of their mentors.

Taehyun nods. "All of them can't meet us right now. But I'm glad Jungkook can make some time. He's always believed us, for every problem we've ever had. There's no reason he won't help us when we need him."

Soobin, Beomgyu, and Yeonjun share similar sentiments. It seems that, no matter their dark circles and aching joints, they all agree on one thing—BTS will always help them. They won't leave them for anything. Even if TXT all lost their minds to a Mage from another dimension.

Junkook's room is dressed in maroon carpet, chandeliers, and crystal ornaments. Traditional paintings hang from each main wall, and the scent of caramelized apple warms Taehyun's nostrils. The large glass windows show an expansive view of nighttime Seoul, all the lights flickering on and off like a neverending lantern show.

"Jungkook-hyung?" Kai is the first to speak.

Taehyun's heart patters. He's always loved Jungkook, from the very first time he heard his voice. Jungkook became his inspiration, the singer he always looked to when finding his own style as an idol.

He remembers back when BTS were promoting "Boy With Luv." He'd decided to hug Jungkook without thinking, and he was embarrassed for the rest of the night, although he has never regretted that moment.

Jungkook comes out from an adjoining hall. He's dressed in a silk nightgown, his hair let down, and his face is bare of makeup. When he smiles, all of Taehyun's doubts about whether he'll survive the next month fade away. His smile is like the bright sun in his face after a long winter, totally overwhelming but entirely welcome.

All that matters is that Jungkook is here with them. The person who inspired Taehyun through the toughest moments of being an idol will also be here to torch away a boss monster.

All the boys mumble something to the likes of "We missed you!" and "I hope the tour went amazing!" Then they move in for a group hug, and Taehyun almost cries feeling Jungkook's warm arms against his own.

They move into the unbelievable story. Taehyun finishes it off with as much eloquence as he can muster. But his usual speaking abilities become stilted by the . "So... the Black Mage has been hiding from us, but he's definitely going to attack soon. We feel like we're way too weak to face him head on. But also we realize we sound completely crazy and if you don't believe us that's totally fine too. Um, we need your guidance."

Taehyun isn't oblivious to how Jungkook's features change throughout the story's recount. They scrunch in confusion and then concern as he assesses him and the four other members. It's embarrassing—how Jungkook will soon view them as boys who've lost their mind. But if not Jungkook, who else will believe them? They have Topaz on their side, but he's not exactly comforting.

Jungkook's face turns grim, a rare sight. When he answers, Taehyun notices the tightness in his jaw. "I... played MapleStory and know about the Black Mage. But I think you guys need some rest. I think the stress is really getting to you all. I've had a similar experience after my first world tour even though it wasn't as extreme."

"You don't believe us?" Taehyun mutters, embarrassed of how small and high-pitched his voice has become.

"You talked about this guy called Topaz," says Jungkook. "I'd say to run away quickly. It sounds like he's involved in a cult."

"What about everything we've been seeing?" says Soobin. "Are we just imagining all of this? And why is BigHit ignoring us?"

Jungkook tightens then loosens his fist. "I think you need a doctor's opinion on that. Also, maybe they're just busy? They could also be pretty mad at you for booking your own flight back. I know they ignored my calls for a while after I dyed my hair without permission."

"Will you tell us if you see anything?" Taehyun asks. Maybe all hope isn't lost--maybe the Black Mage will also reveal themselves to the biggest musical act in the world.

Jungkook inhales deeply, but he smiles when releasing the breath. "Yes. Of course—anything for you guys."

They stay for a little while, and Jungkook talks about how he overcame night terrors after his first few years as an artist. He overcame them through the help of the other members of BTS, along with ARMY of course. It's inspiring to hear him speak about his fears, but it still doesn't answer any of their questions. Still, Taehyun tries to grasp for any advice he could use.

"I got through my trials with the help of good, bright people," Jungkook finishes. "I can help you guys too."

"So we aren't crazy," Yeonjun says.

"No way." Jungkook stifles a laugh. "But here's a crazy idea. The boys and I were meant to ask you guys soon. So... we're scheduled for a comeback performance in the Olympic Stadium next month. Have you heard of it?"

Beomgyu nods his head, like a huge version of his pet parrot—Toto. "Yes!"

Jungkook's famous grin lights his face. "Let's perform together? It'll help you guys focus on something. And if there really is a Black Mage, the boys and I will be there to protect you."

"Yes!" Taehyun voices, jumping up in his seat. He's never heard a better idea in his lifetime.

The other boys echo his excitement. Huening Kai screams so loudly that Jungkook jumps in shock. The laughter that comes afterwards is music to Taehyun's ears.

Jungkook really did come through, after all, and Taehyun can't imagine how he ever thought of doubting him.

A/N: Jungkook to the rescue! Please vote and comment, it would mean a lot to me :). How is everyone enjoying the 3 albums? I love how the members are so interactive with Moa. 

Healing Castle | TXT Fantasy Novel ft. BTSOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara