16 - Soobin

"I'm the leader of this team," says Soobin. He doesn't know how many times he'll have to repeat himself.

He hates saying it too. It's not like he ever wanted to be leader. When the trials for leadership began for TXT, he thought he was the least qualified out of them all. But right now, all he wants to do is use that title for good. He'll do anything he possibly can to protect the other members.

In the heat of the hot sauna, with three other members gone, Soobin's vision is turning red. They had quite the training session today, Topaz joining them to aid in the development of their skills. Soobin managed to shoot multiple arrows at once, making a volley that shattered against the brick wall. All of the boys made similar progress.

So why is Yeonjun deciding to challenge him?

He looks at Soobin as if he's being betrayed. "I'm the eldest of the group. So that means that when the Black Mage decides to show himself next, I need to be the one to attack first."

Soobin's jaw tightens. "I don't know where you're getting this idea. Age doesn't matter to the Mage. He's probably a thousand years old."

"Trust me, please," Yeonjun says. "I need to be the one. I'm tired of being the oldest and you trying to protect me."

"It's okay to need protection," Soobin says, his heart aching. He feels his bond with TXT's rapper, which was built and fortified over the course of years of hardship, become weakened into a weak tether.

"Just agree," says Yeonjun. "Plus, I'm a rogue after all. In the game, we're known for charging head first and attacking before monsters can notice. Archers are meant to stay in the back lines."

In the back lines? How is Soobin supposed to protect the younger ones by hiding behind them? The visual of the members being swallowed by darkness, one by one on an empty road while he stands far away, is like a spike in his head.

"I'm not saying you aren't capable...." Soobin searches for the correct words, ones that would quell their disagreement while offering a solution. If Yeonjun would strike out by himself, there's no telling whether the Mage would treat him as his main target.

Yeonjun looks pained as he forms fists by his side. "That's exactly what you're saying. Tell me why any other guy in the team is more qualified to attack first."

"Really, none of us are qualified." Soobin regrets the words almost immediately after saying them.

"I'm practicing the hardest!" Yeonjun counters. "Just look."

In one swinging motion, Yeonjun forms a dagger in his right hand and makes a swinging arc in the space between them. A silver energy radiates like a crescent moon, and the power of the attack is felt through vibrations on Soobin's skin.

Yeonjun speaks the truth. He's always been diligent, working hard on his craft until he forgets to eat or sleep. There were many times in the agency where Yeonjun would sleep overnight in the studio while working on a song or rap verse. The work ethic has transferred over to his dedication to magic.

But there's no doubt Yeonjun is making progress, but the worry isn't about power. It's about branching off from the team like lone wolves.

"How about this," Soobin says. "Neither you or I will attack first. We'll attack together—that way we can protect the three youngest members."

"No," says Yeonjun. He looks away, hiding something.

"What's the main reason you want to attack first?" Soobin asks.

Yeonjun is silent, looking away while shifting into a more resigned pose. "Beomgyu was attacked, and I wasn't there for him. I want to be an older brother to all of you, but it's like all of my attempts to protect you guys are failing."

"No one prepared us to control magic and to use it against a fantasy boss," Soobin says. "Even if we both tried our hardest, there's gonna be moments where we're helpless."

"Helpless." Yeonjun lets out a heavy sigh, one that echoes this week's hardships. "It's what I've felt for way too long."

"Beomgyu should've stayed back like I asked him too." Soobin steps forward. He attempts to put a hand on Yeonjun's shoulder.

But the older boy steps back, shaking his head in one violent outburst. "I'm completely useless if I can't protect my best friends."

Soobin searches for what RM of BTS would say—it's a technique that's guided him for the first year of being TOMORROW X TOGETHER's leader. Who else would he look up to? RM is easily a prime example of leading a group.

Soobin swallows. "We're stronger as a team. We always have been."

Yeonjun looks offended. "I never said otherwise. Why are you acting like I'm leaving TXT?"

Soobin lets out a groan. "Oh c'mon. I'm just trying to find a solution that will make us both happy. Neither of us like the idea of the other attacking the Mage alone. So someone has to give."

"I'm not giving," Yeonjun says. He's almost pouting, and Soobin could almost laugh at the sight of the eldest member acting like the youngest in the group.

Proving his point, Yeonjun continues with the showcase of the new powers he's developed. He slashes at the air with glowing daggers, throws stars that shatter against the sauna's walls, and leaps with unbound speed. Soobin has to admit that he's impressed by the older boy's progress. If there's anyone in the group confident and skilled enough to put up a fight, maybe Yeonjun does prove a good point.

But he has to stick to his gut as leader. If Yeonjun goes off like a lone ranger, the chances of getting hurt are doubled. Attacking as one unit is the key. No one should feel like they need to act as bait. The Black Mage may be the largest shark in the water, but a team of five dolphins should be enough to hold him back. Or even to defeat him.

"I get it," Soobin says. "You're number one in terms of our training. But at the same time, the Black Mage—"

"Stop acting like an expert on the Black Mage," Yeonjun says.

"But Topaz says—"

"Topaz needs to stop acting like he knows it all too," says Yeonjun. He shakes his head, wiping away his sweat with his headband. "He's untrustworthy. Where is the hideout that he keeps talking about? Why haven't we seen him with anyone else in the Resistance? For all we know, he could be another minion of the Mage."

"Now you're getting crazy." Soobin cringes at himself, regretting these words too.

The silence turns deadly. "Of course you'd call me crazy. Just say that I'm not in my right mind already, but know I'll be the first to jump into the fray."

"Yeonjun—"

But it's too late. The eldest member of TXT ignores his leader's call, exiting the sauna without any indication of where he's heading.

Soobin hears the three other members asking questions before the door closes. But Yeonjun doesn't answer anyone. When the door to the hot sauna slams shut, Soobin wonders when and whether his older brother will make it back to their apartment in Dongdaemun.

A/N: Thank you for reading!