21 - Soobin

"I'm telling you," Beomgyu starts. "There's no good reason to explain why Namjoon was there, and why he turned his back on us."

Soobin surveys the scene, with Beomgyu waving his hands in the air like a disturbed octopus and the rest of the boys sitting on their ragged couch. The space has been hastily decorated. There are TXT posters barely covering the water damage, which is a sort of attempt to remind them who they are--how far they've come. Even though their journey could end abruptly, thanks to the Black Mage.

Taehyun bought a few novels to sit upon the dining room counter. Other than that, their backpacks take up most of the space, and their luggage—except for Taehyun's—are in a state of half packed and half scattered over the floor.

A few days ago, Soobin and the members tried to return to the dorm, but they were quickly chased away by a few new BigHit staff members. Their faces were like carved stone, and Soobin was afraid that they'd have to fight much more powerful enemies, so he led his team out by herding them with his long arms.

The victory at the COEX library was an amazing feeling, but Soobin hasn't reached a point where he's satisfied in the safety of the members.

Their hotel hideout is the closest thing to a home base. But it doesn't feel enough. Plus, it's dirty in here. Although, that's more than half his fault.

Point is, they've turned into a mess, and Soobin is worried their state of living is getting to Beomgyu's head. "Are you sure you're feeling okay?" Soobin asks.

Beomgyu only begins to wave his hands again. "I'm perfectly fine! I just need to know whether you guys believe in what I'm saying!"

The other boys are still stunned into silence, and even Soobin is struggling to keep a straight face. "Namjoon wasn't there. If what Taehyun said is true, he would've used his magic to help us--no doubt about it. Besides, why would he be at COEX Mall alone? He'd be mobbed, especially if he didn't have any staff with him."

Taehyun nods, but his eyes are turned away to the window and Seoul's muted sunset. "I'm still wondering. I don't know why Namjoon didn't offer to help us. Or at least accompany us around the city. I mean, he's not exactly our bodyguard, but he knows our situation more than anyone in the company."

Wondering? Soobin eyes widen, and he inhales in disbelief. "I can't believe you guys are doubting Kim Namjoon out of all people."

Beomgyu might as well be shouting. "I don't want to believe it either. But he walked out. Like we're just an inconvenience, and like we didn't almost get our faces smashed by a bunch of monsters."

"Hey." Yeonjun is standing now, and Soobin is reminded of their first fight as a team. They had been a team for a few months, and the tension between the members were high. That was years ago, but it escalated the same way. Beomgyu had said something upsetting about how they weren't improving quickly enough, and Yeonjun stepped in with the same dark tone in his voice.

"Don't talk about our sunbaenim like that," Yeonjun continues. "You out of everyone should know that even if he did walk out, there's a perfectly valid reason."

"Like I said," Beomgyu continues. "I don't want to believe it either."

Huening Kai shakes his head. "I'm with Soobin. I don't want to accuse RM when he's helped us in every situation so far."

Taehyun counters in the next few seconds. "I do think Beomgyu has a good point. When I met him at the cafe... I did get the feeling he was hiding something."

Soobin can't believe his ears. They might as well have grown out to the length they were in the "Nap of a star" music video. He shakes his head and attempts to don his leader hat once more. "Okay. Today was a mess of a day. We got up late, didn't eat breakfast before training with Topaz. And then we faced that mob in the COEX Mall. We should all go to sleep before coming up with even stranger theories."

"This isn't strange or a theory!" Beomgyu yells.

"Stop it." Yeonjun's voice is quiet, but Soobin senses the deadliness rippling through the two words. Soobin gulps and stands, putting himself between Yeonjun and Beomgyu. "We need to talk to Topaz. He has more experience than us, so he should know whether Namjoon can help us."

"See?" Beomgyu nods slightly while keeping his eyes on Yeonjun. "Even our leader agrees there's something suspicious going on."

You know that's not what I meant.

"Hey, I'm not trying to take sides here."

But Soobin is too late to quell the storm. Soon, Yeonjun is yelling and Beomgyu is countering him with a bunch of pirate-like curses.

"Quiet!" Soobin shouts. "We're gonna get in trouble with the hotel. We've already caused so many scenes from shouting—"

The unthinkable follows Soobin's attempt to quiet the feud. Yeonjun lashes out with a dagger, an amethyst glow coming straight for Beomgyu's skull. Beomgyu jumps back and begins to shout even louder—though Soobin still can't make out the words over the clamor. Huening Kai and Taehyun jump in. The former heads near to Soobin and grasps his shoulder, in either protection or fear. The latter summons a force field, a blue wall that separates the two fighting members.

But it doesn't work. Beomgyu summons his yellow pistol and shoots out a bullet against the force field. It breaks down the center, energy dispersing like a thousand will-o'-the-wisps. A part of the bullet lodges itself into Yeonjun's chest. And although there's no blood, Yeonjun falls against the carpet. His body is a thud like the sound of a defeated bass.

Oh my gosh. Soobin squeezes his lids tightly, as if he can block away reality. We're in deep trouble.

A/N: A dramatic moment between our members! Let me know what you think of the story so far :) and as always, fighting!