34 - Taehyun

Backstage at the Seoul Olympic Stadium, Taehyun's chest is fluttering in a thousand waves of nausea. He can't remember the last time he was nervous for a performance. Usually, he's confident in remembering dance moves and adlibs he's practiced a thousand times beforehand. He's afraid of the unpredictable, of what BTS and the Black Mage might try against them while TXT performs as the opening act in front of seventy thousand people.

Well, TXT minus one. Beomgyu is still missing. As if they'd somehow grab him and disappear through a full hallway of security.

He tries to find comfort in the three remaining members. He reminds himself that he's overcome a thousand obstacles before, including sleepless nights, hours of intense training, and even honing mystical skills he never thought would be possible to wield on earth.

All in all, he's come a long way. And if there's anything he's learned over the past year, it's not to give up without throwing a handful of punches.

"Should we do our team chant?" Taehyun asks, right when a backstage worker cues them for five minutes before showtime.

Soobin nods. "Let's do it. We'll stay together, tomorrow as well."

Taehyun gets teary-eyed as his leader reminds him of their slogan. For a whole year, TXT has stuck by each others' sides like birds of one flock. They were rarely separated, sharing every meal and living even a bit too close for comfort. They've broken their promise too soon, with Beomgyu feeling the need to leave without warning him or any of the members. The failure weighs heavy on Taehyun's spirit, and he steps back from his team mates to recover his breath.

"Are you alright?" Yeonjun asks. Then he shakes his head, face going long. "Nevermind. I don't think any of us wants to answer that question."

Taehyun nods, wiping his eyes with his forearms once. "I'm okay, I promise. Let's go out there and wipe this performance. Let's bring back Beomgyu."

Taehyun and the others complete the team chant. When their words sound tiny, as if coming from a quartet of street rats, Soobin makes them chant one more time. Their ritual gives them only two minutes remaining before the big opening.

"Hey, why'd you do the chant without me?"

Taehyun's pulse could stop right now. But he forces himself to turn in the direction of the voice. Seeing Beomgyu, healthy although a bit tired-eyed, is enough for his withheld tears to start falling down.

Beomgyu is even dressed in a matching performing outfit. Their sweaters are the same colors, reminding Taehyun of the sunset and sky. Not a piece of fabric is wrinkled.

If he could erase the past days from his mind, he could almost imagine Beomgyu never left them in the first place. This whole mess never even happened. They are only five, still together, still content in their lives as performers about to promote another comeback.

But the Mage had other plans, and Taehyun resents him for it. No matter, his spirit is filled with emotion on seeing his friend again. He thought that losing Beomgyu was a possibility, even though he tried to deny that. He thought that when he couldn't use the skill of another magic door, the Mage and his minions would be in complete control.

"I—" I thought we lost you. I thought we'd never perform together again. I thought you left because you wanted to, and that I failed you because I wasn't able to remind you about how much this team loves you.

He says none of those thoughts, practically sobbing as he embraces Beomgyu in the biggest hug he's ever given. "Don't worry," Beomgyu says, as if Taehyun was the one rescued from the veil of the Black Mage. "I'm okay. Don't get so worked up about it."

Soobin, Yeonjun, and Huening Kai join the group hug. As if a switch has been turned, the mood backstage has lifted into less of panic and more anticipation.

"How?" Soobin asks, simply.

Beomgyu shakes his head. "As long as I perform with you all. That's the ultimatum they gave me, and why not? Why not give them the performance of their lives?"

It's Beomgyu to the core. Straightforward. Words of a perfectionist performer who could deliver a show-stopping piece at any moment in time.

Taehyun smiles. Their team is back together again. And that's more than enough proof that they'll stick together for a lifetime. The Mage wants them to fall into a lie, of believing that people should be made separate from their emotions. Peace is the goal, but their methods are far from peaceful, and the only result Taehyun's ever seen is of empty and manipulative minions.

With ten seconds counting down, Taehyun follows his team out to the main stage. The audience is massive. Seventy thousand people are calling their name. TXT. Soobin. Huening Kai. Taehyun. Beomgyu. Yeonjun.

All the chants turn into a whirlwind of pandemonium. Usually, the shocking lights, enthusiasm, and waving glow sticks would bring about motivation for Taehyun. Now, only dread fills his chest in its place.

TXT gets into position. Taehyun's heart could explode out of his chest at any moment. But when the intro to "New Rules" starts playing, he puts on his character of a confident singer. He's always wanted to be one, and today his and his members' lives depend on that dream.

As the first chorus hits, the Mage appears above the crowd in the middle section. He's twice as large as usual, covered in head to toe with dark mist. His robes emanate with shadowy power, and his eyes glow in a variance of red amethyst. He raises a palm and shows off a massive staff with a blood red crystal.

Soobin keeps going. And that's their signal to keep performing. As Topaz has advised them, they are at their most powerful when their moves and vocals are in sync. They are one unit, and Taehyun is doing his best to play his part.

As the Black Mage descends, the crowd begins to notice the boss monster of MapleStory. They scream, a majority of the fans cowering in their seats and covering their eyes with their palms.

"Ahhh!" It seems that the whole audience becomes one soul of panic. Taehyun has never heard anything like it, the sound of death and fear all in one. It terrifies him to the bone. But it also gives him a reason to fight. He's the levelheaded one of the group, and he should begin to act like it more often.

He's practiced in the Castle, in the sauna, even all the way back when he was a kid—playing a game just to pass the time and loneliness.

So he lifts his arm backward, feeling an electric bolt form in his palm. This is for Beomgyu. For our whole team. For all the people you've manipulated in my home.

With a yell of fury, Taehyun launches his lightning straight toward the Mage's head.

He misses, and he swears when he's about to become overcome once again by a feeling of complete failure. But no, he's accomplished much by coming this far. He isn't letting this dude--who's probably ancient and ugly--in a cloak get away without eating a spell to the face.

All Taehyun can think about is that this is nothing like the video game. This isn't even like the previous attacks. Right now feels like he's putting everything he can into the air to dispel the powers of the Mage--who seems so intent on hurting his friends.

I can't let you take them. Not after you took one and almost separated us forever.

When the Mage reaches the stage, Taehyun feels the energy shoot from his bloodstream, into his nerves, all the way into the focal point of his palms. He is reminded of an anime character, someone meant to do much greater things than he.

But, well, there's a evil monster in front of him, so he'll do what he has to do.

The power he summons is an ice beam that crystallizes a thousand times more quickly than a usual drop in the freezer. The jagged weapon forms a sharp point, a spear that will damage just as much as it should stun him into place.

Taehyun leaps forward and plunges the ice beam right into the Mage's heart.

A/N: Thank you for reading! I hope you all had an amazing Christmas. What are some of your New Year's resolutions?