10 - Beomgyu

Beomgyu leads the team into the Nexon headquarters. Based in Pangyo Techno Valley, it's no surprise the building is sleek—layers of shiny windows and smart angles. Like a fancy, architectural cake. Nexon Korea is home to many popular games, but TXT is here today for one game only. If the Black Mage is terrorizing them, surely the managers here will know something about that.

Beomgyu attempts to keep his jaw from shaking. Resisting takes all of his effort, everything he's learned about bravery since entering BigHit. He's scared enough of cockroaches, let alone an evil being from another universe. If he can't even face an insect, how is he supposed to survive the Black Mage?

Since checking into their hotel, TOMORROW X TOGETHER experienced remnants of the Black Mage twice.

Once, when a black mist leaked out of the shower head in their bathroom. It was Yeonjun in the shower, who ended up screaming and waking up the boys at 2 am. They had huddled together on one bed, scared to even catch their breaths.

The second time, a bird glittering like black diamond shot across the window. Beomgyu had screamed that time, eclipsing all of his past panic about cockroaches.

But Taehyun's words last night give him a bit of hope.

"Yeonjun showing a power means that we all have something within us," Taehyun had said—when they finally broke away from the huddle. "That means we have a fighting chance against the Mage. It's like learning any new ability. As crazy as it sounds, I think we need to learn how to use our magic."

After a long silence, Beomgyu had nodded—he still felt guilty about being moody on the metro. "I think Taehyun's right. We have to become like our characters in the game. Strong and unafraid of monsters."

He's trying to ignore the pull in his chest. A pirate, out of all things. He wonders when his powers will show, imagining a glowing energy shooting out from his being to banish darkness. The thought is so absurd that he giggles on the way to the elevator. Soobin looks at him strangely.

"Don't worry," Beomgyu says. "I'm not possessed by the Black Mage."

Maybe it was a bad joke, because now the boys are covered in a silence heavier than sheets of metal. Beomgyu bites his tongue. He doesn't want to think about the possibility of himself or his best friends being controlled by a mystical, dark force. Even though he doesn't consider himself to be very religious, he's been praying often. And judging by how many times he's noticed his team closing their eyes and breathing deeply, they're in the same boat.

God, if you're there, send someone to save us.

Beomgyu wonders if BTS will be the one to rescue them.

He's admired them since he first heard their song on the radio in Daegu. He'd freaked out at the rap part in "Boy In Luv," yelling at his dad to turn up the volume. Since then, he would be inspired to pursue singing and dancing. Beomgyu imagines if BTS could become like characters in MapleStory. Their talents would most likely involve the power of light and harmony. They could easily be the most powerful in the Maple world.

"Do you think the managers will actually know what's happening?" Beomgyu says. They walk through halls of polished glass, glossy paint and photo frames showcasing Nexon's most popular games. "Everyone we've asked is looking at us like we've gone half mad. No one can see what we're seeing—I mean, we figured that out at the gaming lounge and the airplane. What if Nexon is clueless too? We don't have anyone else we can ask for help."

"We're trapped inside a boss level," says Yeonjun. "We can't compare anything we've done in the past with trying to destroy a boss from a video game. I mean, we can't exactly dance this monster away, right?"

"What if we don't need to destroy it?" Kai offers. "What if we just need to...."

"Send it back?" Taehyun suggests.

Send it back. It's probably the best idea they've had so far.

Soobin is thoughtful. He chews on his lips, puffing air against his cheeks—a habit he's acquired since their trainee days. Since the Black Mage first showed himself, Beomgyu has noticed the almost tangible pressure on his leader's shoulders. But right now, Soobin settles into a calm mind. "I think Taehyun is right. We should be able to send him back from where he came."

"It still just doesn't make sense." Beomgyu sighs while heading toward the door to the main headquarters. "If he's already so powerful, why doesn't he just kill us already? All he needs to do is wave his wand."

"Maybe this battle isn't completely physical," Taehyun says. "Or maybe, he's waiting for someone. Or something, to completely awaken."

Beomgyu dwells on those words while they speak with the current president of Nexon, Jun Kim. He's overjoyed to see them—commenting he's well-aware that Jin, the eldest of BTS, is a huge fan of the game. He had no idea that TOMORROW X TOGETHER had also played the game in their childhood.

Beomgyu smiles politely, responding with a sheepish smile when Jun Kim enacts his surprise. But really, there shouldn't be any surprise at all—most kids in TXT's generation have played MapleStory at least once.

After sharing some of the memories with the game, Beomgyu begins to ask about details about the game's current status. He along with the other boys prod about current projects related to the game. The president is kind but becomes more guarded with each question asked. It's like he's becoming annoyed with these five boys who have nothing better to do but reminisce about their childhood.

At one point, Beomgyu becomes so frustrated that he makes the mistake of raising his voice. "No, we didn't come here to get a sponsorship!"

It was a mistake, because the president shuts down at that point. "Okay, I understand that you all love MapleStory. But I don't see the point in all these questions. The Black Mage is a character—that's all he is. Please, I have to ask you to leave. I'm meeting with our team about our newest gacha game."

Afterwards, Beomgyu suggests heading to Hongdae. Partly because they're hungry and desperate to have Seoul's street food before dying a cursed death. But mainly to study the people in this city.

Are they experiencing the same visions of darkness? Are they as scared for their lives as TXT?

They keep searching for answers, but Beomgyu feels as though they're getting nowhere. They might as well have stayed in the vacation home and locked themselves in the master bedroom—with a baseball bat and Huening Kai's plushies to hold when scared.

Today, Beomgyu's disguise is a blonde wig with square glasses, paired with a typical school uniform. Taehyun wears something similar, along with Huening Kai. Soobin and Yeonjun have continued the trench coat theme, going for a detective look with fake mustaches and stubble. If this was any other day, Beomgyu would laugh at the ridiculous scene they make while traveling to Seoul's most popular hang-out district.

But nothing happens when they reach the crowded streets. Well, nothing out of the ordinary. The stalls sell steaming hot tteokbokki, fish cake, and japchae. Beomgyu is surrounded by the most modern stores in the world showcasing the newest products and fashion. People laugh and bustle about, commenting on the bursts of new flavor.

It's cold, so Beomgyu huddles close to his teammates while eating. Even though the food is the best he's had in weeks, he can't get himself to fully enjoy it. The Black Mage haunts even when he isn't here.

"I love fish cake," Beomgyu says, softly. He eats another piece before the chilling breeze ruins its heat.

He continues to eat, picking out a few more dishes—tteokbokki, sundae, bulgogi kimbap—and the members follow suit without speaking. Looking around, everyone outside their group seems to be having the time of their lives. There's no evidence that anyone else is being haunted. Rather, the opposite seems true. Others are experiencing the magic of exploration—something MapleStory has always been known for.

Beomgyu's phone buzzes in his pocket. It's a call from V.

A/N: We love you, Beomgyu!