29 - Taehyun

Taehyun isn't fully convinced by Huening Kai's plan, but he's getting desperate too, leaving him no choice but to follow along.

Now, he's trapped in one of many Seoul metro trains, and there's no indication of them getting out any time soon. Taehyun shuts his eyes while he listens to his teammates argue. Their whispers are drowned out as the rest of the passengers move from simply bothered to panicked. The train suddenly feels twice as small. Air is trapped in Taehyun's lungs, and the gasps of air from the other members tells him that they're experiencing the same sensations.

"There's no way the train stopped from pure coincidence," Yeonjun says. "Someone is out to get us."

That, Taehyun can agree with. He's about had enough of the Black Mages and his cronies controlling every aspect of his life. So this time, he's going to do something about it. And quickly, too, before TXT loses their gig.

"I'm going to take a walk," Taehyun says. "Who's with me?"

Surely, they know Taehyun isn't simply referring to a walk. But surprisingly, each boy jumps up without a second's hesitation. Maybe being in the castle changed them, or maybe having freedom to wander around the city without guards is putting a sense of invincibility in Taehyun's head.

Anyway, he recognizes the hardness in each boy's jaw, a steadfast determination to save their best friend along with the citizens of this crowded city.

They are five and have always been. They'll never let anyone or anything change that. And they won't end up like the heroes of the Maple World, who may have defeated the Mage temporarily and paid the price in life. TXT will banish him so that he can never return to haunt Korea or any other place in the world.

Taehyun leads the pack. He walks toward the back of the train, not caring about the passengers who stare at him after his every step. Since the power is out, he has to open every door manually in order to reach the next car. He goes on for two cars without anything strange happening. In fact, the four of them are the strange ones at the moment. Four vigilantes with powers they barely understand.

"Excuse me, can I have a picture?"

Taehyun recognizes the Korean just barely, and the question comes from a girl about his age, who hesitates while standing near one of the doors.

Taehyun sighs. "Oh. I'm so sorry, but not right now."

"Gosh," Huening Kai whispers after they reach the next car. "You didn't have to be so mean to her."

If it wasn't so dark, and if Taehyun's suspicions weren't on high alert, maybe he would laugh. He doesn't have time to be nice.

Once Taehyun reaches the last car, a magnetic wave stirs within the air—tickling the nerves on his skin. The space around him seems weighted, as if some of the oxygen has turned to lead. Visually, it appears the same as all the other sections of the train, with only the moonlight to guide him and a thick quiet alerting his senses. But there's no one here?

No. There's one person seated in the last row. He has sunglasses even in the evening, a black jacket, and matching dark slacks. Once the door closes behind Taehyun, the man smiles wickedly. The white of his teeth shines like a shark's.

"Formation," Soobin says. "Quick."

Taehyun is in no position to disagree. He falls back while Yeonjun and Huening Kai step forward. Soobin stays with him and begins to summon a bow which glows a bright green, like freshly cut grass. At the same time, Taehyun's weapon forms in his hand—a blue wand purer than sapphire.

Huening Kai lifts his sword above his head and unleashes a strike. The attack misses as the man darts to the other side of the seats. He summons several kunai and begins to aim at the members.

Taehyun's focus skyrockets. He targets the man's weapons. He sends a magic bolt to one in his hand. He uses a lightning strike toward the kunai that flies toward Soobin. Both weapons, thankfully, fall to the ground.

Yeonjun utilizes his stealth to sneak behind the enemy. He lets loose in a round of stabs with his amethyst daggers, and one of the strikes lands true. The man is slowed, but his aura doesn't disappear just yet. His darkness is still emanating as true as night.

Soobin lets loose a few volleys of arrows. One of them hits the man on his shoulder, causing him to yell like a savage. He produces more throwing weapons—stars this time. And he aims toward all four members this time.

"I got them!" Taehyun says. He uses an ice beam to knock away the ones flying toward him and Soobin. A magic bolt strikes the one coming for Huening Kai. But....

"Yeonjun!" Taehyun yells.

But the eldest is on it already. He dodges the attack and continues on his way with another strike toward the minion.

Taehyun takes a second just to admire his members and how far they've come. They've truly bested evil many times, and he should be proud of them in this moment. A month ago, they had no control of their powers. Now, they're ready to fight against the best with a weapon unique to each boy and his spirit. Even if BTS can't help them, they have a newfound power in being warriors of light. Even the Resistance didn't see this one coming.

With a great yell, Taehyun calls on a lightning bolt. Electricity like a flying longsword heads straight for the man's chest, landing true. An echoing roar cuts through Taehyun's eardrums, and the train shakes as if rocked by a battering ram.

He lands on a row of seats. The man's darkness leaves him. And when Yeonjun checks his pulse, it's still humming. Slightly more erratic than usual, but the man who attacked them is still alive.

Before the lights turn back on, each of the members glow in golden light.

"What is this?" Soobin wonders, admiring the essence covering his body.

Taehyun, using his instincts, knows immediately. "We've leveled up enough times! It's an advancement, a big upgrade to our powers."

A/N: A battle scene! It's always fun writing these. Let me know what your favorite class is :). Archer, rogue, warrior, mage, or pirate?