19 - Taehyun

Per Taehyun's request, Namjoon has agreed to meet him at one of the cafes in Gangnam. Called the Painted Rogue, the tables inside are covered with vases of wildflowers and tiny fabric prints of famous paintings from around the world. The Creation of Adam. Mona Lisa. Girl with a Pearl Earring. Jazz plays from the speakers in an enchanting loop, and the patrons seem to be swaying to the same beat of relaxation. Even the students doing homework near the corners of the cafe are in the same daze.

Taehyun admires the tablecloth while stirring his iced coffee and staring out at the city. He's more than happy to be with Namjoon, who sits across from him in an evening coat and black dress shirt. The owner, familiar with RM's many visits, shuffle them both into a private room.

"I don't know what we would've done," Taehyun begins, "if Jungkook didn't meet us. And he invited us to open for one of your shows too! It's one of our biggest dreams come true. I don't know if he told you about the... turbulent time we're going through. But a concert to look forward to us just what our team needs."

Namjoon shakes her head. "There's nothing to be ashamed of." He gives Taehyun one of his close-lipped smiles, the ones that make millions of ARMY feel special. "I'm glad to be one of your mentors. And I meant my promise from the beginning of TXT's debut. No problem is stupid to me. So feel free to speak your mind."

Speak your mind.

It's the same words Namjoon spoke at the United Nations. Taehyun remembers almost every word of that iconic speech, when BTS encouraged the youth to speak and love themselves. He's lived by those words ever since they were broadcasted across the world.

There's so much he could speak right now, because his mind is overloaded. But he feels strangely sluggish, like he should avoid speaking about the Black Mage as much as possible. He wants to escape, to just talk about the concert.

Taehyun's mind drifts to Yeonjun. He and Beomgyu found him outside a club called Club Airy last night. Since then, Soobin called a team meeting and declared that no one should run off without approval. To give themselves some semblance of normalcy, they decided to clear the living room space and practice the dance routines of their latest songs. After going through "New Rules," "Angel or Devil," and "Run Away," all of the sweat and heavy breathing reminded Taehyun of their earlier days. The constant training gave more than enough opportunity for complete exhaustion.

With approval from his team members, Taehyun is meeting Namjoon to gather all the information he can. So he forces the doubt down his throat.

"Going all the way back to your childhood," he starts. "Is there anything strange you noticed about playing games? Any particular games, and any sorts of feelings of magic?"

Taehyun swears that Namjoon's hand wavers against his cup of hot latte. But he shakes his head quickly, dispelling the hesitation. "No. Nothing strange about any games. No magic. Are you still worried about MapleStory?"

Taehyun cringes. He didn't want to bring up the game for fear of seeming childish.

Nevertheless, Taehyun nods, but he can't shake the feeling that Namjoon's hiding something. He notices how his jaw tightens slightly. "Are you absolutely sure—"

"Positive." Namjoon's clipped tone reminds Taehyun of when an interviewer asks him a particularly invasive question. "I'm sure if the problem continues, there can be some therapy or counseling BigHit can provide. But what I'm trying to say is that... MapleStory is not something that can just invade the real world."

Taehyun wants to believe Namjoon, like he believed Jungkook. But once he has a hunch, he's usually never wrong. His deduction skills is one of the talents his proudest of, besides his skills as a performer of course.

So over the course of the meeting, Taehyun continues to prod. He asks the same questions over and over--all phrased differently. He talks about something else than strategically shifts the conversation back to gaming.

As in... "Are you sure about what you said about that kind of magic not existing?"

And... "Your team hasn't experienced anything like ours?"

Taehyun can tell his last question breaks something within BTS' leader. With a heavy sigh, Namjoon closes his eyes. He opens them again once the cafe quiets. This time, his expression has been cleaned of anything cordial. A grave weight rests between his brows and on his cheeks.

Namjoon looks around to ensure no one is watching, even though they're private room is empty. Then he opens one hand. He closes his eyes, and for a brief second, a tiny blue light flashes in the space above his palm.

Magic. It's the same magic as mine!

When Namjoon opens his eyes again, his whole body glows in the same ethereal color. Namjoon's truest self is a magician, and Taehyun is stunned and completely impressed. He sees Namjoon in a new light, as if he didn't already admire him enough.

"You're a mage too," Taehyun whispers.

Namjoon gives him a tiny grin, one that spells relief but also a little hesitation. "I'm glad we're meeting alone. Knowing that you have powers too is a big comfort."

"How long have you known?" Taehyun asks.

"Since I first started playing MapleStory," Namjoon responds. "I was always drawn to the mage character, and my powers manifested pretty quickly. But I locked the powers away pretty quickly. I haven't used them in years. And none of the boys know about this magic."

"Why do you think it took longer for us?" Taehyun asks. His chest feels hot, as he's overcome with gratefulness that Namjoon knows him on such a deep level.

Namjoon breathes deeply. He takes a sip of coffee, then some of his swagger helps smooth over his grimace. But even then, a man who's traveled the world and seen so much seems to shrink before Taehyun's eyes. "It's different for everyone. Like you, I was also contacted by the Resistance."

"Are you with them?" Taehyun asks, although he can't imagine Topaz and Namjoon in the same room—being such powerful forces of nature.

"No," he says, barely a whisper. "I turned them down. I wanted to pursue my passion as a singer."

Something is rubbing Taehyun's conscience the wrong way, but he can't place his finger on it. Usually, revelations come quick to him. This time, the thoughts are like wild doves fluttering back and forth, over his head and around his chest. "I don't see why you couldn't do both."

Taehyun bites his tongue. That wasn't what he meant to say--he knows the firsthand of being an idol and juggling other responsibilities. What he meant to say was... how could someone like Namjoon refuse to fight against the Mage?

"I don't want to talk about the Resistance, though." Namjoon pushes his cup to the side, blocking Taehyun's view of The Starry Night.

Taehyun gulps, afraid to upset one of the persons he admires most. "Topaz is a good person. We haven't met others in the Resistance yet, but fighting against an evil Mage seems to be a good goal in my opinion. Even if it looks like an impossible one."

Taehyun wants to voice the next question: Will you help us?

Namjoon nods, but Taehyun can tell there's no feeling behind it. They begin to shift to more neutral topics, like how the boys are beginning to practice for the concert in the Seoul Olympic Stadium. They talk about TXT's planned comeback, and J-Hope's sister getting married. By the end, a few rounds of laughter have been exchanged. But like in the majority of this conversation, Taehyun's intuition has been clouded over by a hesitant mist.

Namjoon doesn't offer to help.

Before they both leave the cafe, Taehyun looks over Namjoon's shoulder. He finds Topaz sitting by a table in the corner. He's dressed in black and sips a dark iced tea the same color as his eyes. He stares straight at Taehyun, squinting in disapproval.

In the shock of finding his newest teacher here, Taehyun's heart stops in his chest.

What has he done wrong?

A/N: Do you think Namjoon is hiding something? Let me know in the comments, and thank you so much for reading!