27 - Yeonjun

Beomgyu, why did you leave?

The question weighs heavily on Yeonjun's heart as TXT proceeds with the mission to escape. They decide to wait for Topaz and the Resistance members to lower their guards around the entrances and exits of the castle. But they rush around the halls and passages--casting furtive glances at the TXT members, like they know about their plan to follow Beomgyu.

Yeonjun is trying to catch a few moments of rest. Even though his limbs ache and his eyelids threaten to shut, he can't find any sort of security. In fact, he wishes Beomgyu could knock him out again. The castle walls close in on him. Even though the walls are magical and constructed for royals, they feel like more of a prison than ever before.

He doesn't even have a chance to fend off nightmares. The sun funnels through the glass skylights, warming his cold skin. Had he gotten cold sweat? He hadn't even noticed. His imagination was too great. He can still see Beomgyu getting blasted by the Mage, in more ways than one.

Yeonjun rises early. He's never needed much sleep anyway, even when he first became a trainee. He'll have to push harder than ever.

Finally, once breakfast is ready in the mess hall--most likely some sort of mushroom soup with buttered loaves--the guards loosen their grip on the main paths. TXT moves out as discrepantly as possible. Yeonjun casts an ability on himself, cloaking himself with invisibility.

Three boys will be a little harder to spot than four.

Luckily, the plan goes accordingly. They move swiftly toward the exit of the Castle. There are two guards near the sewer escape, but they both seem exhausted, nodding in and out of sleep. So TXT dashes through the portal with a collective held breath.

Yeonjun is scared to come so close to such radiant light, but the sensation invigorates him. He feels the familiar weight of Seoul settle onto him. Even though he's underground, his very existence is filtered differently. In the Maple World, he's lighter, covered in an angelic film.

Here, it's much easier to remember what exactly they're up against.

When they move the manhole cover, they make a mad rush out into the streets of Itaewon and cover the exit again with stealth. Yeonjun is panting by the end of it. Sweat frames his brows, and it takes all of his fortitude just to remain on his two feet. Most of his energy was drained from maintaining invisibility for so long.

"He couldn't have gone too far," Yeonjun says, and he wonders whether his mind is trying to twist the truth.

Even after sending Beomgyu several texts, the team comes up empty. Yeonjun has a sinking feeling in his chest, one that is only growing worse over time. He feels as though a parasite is chomping away at his gut.

They begin to skirt the city and its most populated areas—Myeongdong, Hongdae, even going back to COEX where the memories of their intense battle makes Yeonjun dizzy. Yeonjun, despite meeting Beomgyu later than anyone else in the group, feels incredibly close to him. They share the same music taste and passion for dance. Even though they have the most intense fights, they always make up for it somehow, growing closer as teammates. The younger boy even admitted to looking up to Yeonjun during one of their national interviews.

Yeonjun and the others find themselves in Jamsil Underground Shopping Center, which turns out to be a mecca of clothing, accessories, beauty products, and color in general.

Quickly, Taehyun picks out a random assortment of accessories to help disguise their identity. A pair of sunglasses. A wide brim hat. A beanie and long coat paired with a giant, turtle-shape backpack.

That's right. Back home, they can't go anywhere without planning beforehand. In the Maple World, they had freedom to wander for a short while.

Yeonjun, two months ago, would've cheered in delight at the idea of a shopping spree. Now, all he can do is try to keep a straight face—when really his heart is aching from his missing best friend.

"Let's keep moving, everyone," Soobin says, attempting to save them from being lost in despair. "Yeah," Yeonjun agrees. He's the oldest member, so he should at least try to act like he has his emotions under control. "Beomgyu could turn up at any second. Maybe he's not answering his texts because he's a bit annoyed with us."

The sentence sounds ridiculous right after it leaves his mouth, but what choice does he have? Yeonjun may have rogue powers now, but that doesn't mean he has the answer to why Beomgyu decided to leave. And when it comes to their team going against the Black Mage, maybe they have to chase a bit of fool's gold. They have to force themselves to be hopeful.

Out of the corner of his eye, Yeonjun spots a black cat. "Guys, look!"

The cat comes out from a clothing store and turns in the opposite direction of the team. In its tracks, a faint purple dust is left behind before disappearing completely.

Finally, a sign. Yeonjun takes a deep breath and puts on a stern exterior. "Guys, we have to go inside if we want any answers."

"All at once?" Huening Kai asks, a bit sheepishly.

Yeonjun nods twice. "Yes! We've been wandering about aimlessly for hours. It's time to confront the owner of that store."

With Soobin and Taehyun's agreement, they enter the boutique. It holds a bunch of colorful jackets, coats, and sweaters. Each item seems flawless and smooth with an undeniable style. Yeonjun's eyes are drawn to pastel buttons and diagonal pockets and fur lining. This store looks like it could belong to the Lotte World Mall.

The owner of the store looks at them once. And then she smiles wickedly and transforms. Her eyes turn dark, and her figure grows as she straightens her posture. With her suede black jacket and matching pants, she looks like an agent of death. "Look here," she mutters. "Four boys who smell more desperate than a dog who hasn't eaten in weeks."

Yeonjun is close to snarling. "Just tell us where our friend is."

"You think I know?" she says. "I'm just a messenger for the Mage. I know nothing more than what he chooses to tell me."

Yeonjun's frustration builds. "What matters is that you're connected to him. You have to know something about Beomgyu."

She shakes her head. "Leave. I may be a minion, but I'm one of the stronger ones. If you face me, we'll end up blowing up this entire mall."

Yeonjun doesn't believe she's lying, but at the same time his soul aches at the thought of being so close to the answer. "Just one word. Just give us a single hint and we'll leave for good."

Soobin puts a hand on his shoulder. "Yeonjun...."

Slapping his hand away, Yeonjun tries again. "You must know something about where the Mage is hiding him."

"Leave."

It takes him a long few minutes to accept defeat, but soon the four members of TOMORROW X TOGETHER are out in the shopping mall again.

Personally, Yeonjun would do anything to rescue his friend. But the members are drawing the line at causing the collapse of an underground mall.

They find a place to eat, one with fried mandoo and jjajangmyeon. But no matter how much Yeonjun eats, there's an emptiness in his heart. His friend is gone, and he doesn't know how to get him back. Someone might as well have beaten him half to death.

Huening Kai stands up immediately after finishing his noodles. "I have an idea." 

A/N: thank you for supporting this story! i hope you all are enjoying TXT's magic adventure.