17 - Yeonjun

Another memory captures Yeonjun while he runs away. He ignores the calls from his team mates and enters the busy streets of evening Seoul. While his knees begin to ache and the pressure behind his eyes build, he's overcome by a moment from childhood that left him scarred.

All along, he'd chalked up the memory to an overactive imagination. But now, it's hard to deny that maybe, these events were foreshadowed in his childhood.

Yeonjun breathes a sigh while recollecting all the images.

He was playing MapleStory. He just leveled up his character to level 70, and he was ready for a job advancement that would make his rogue even stronger. He'd been given skills that would help him fight even stronger bosses. He'd be able to travel to new continents in search for greater treasure and more challenging quests. Overall, the moment was marking a dream come true to a little Yeonjun.

He must've been either twelve or thirteen, and his confidence was in the gutter. So MapleStory was one of the only activities that allowed him to fully express himself. He hadn't yet found his love for rapping. And his personality was far from the goofy persona he always falls back on with the members. In fact, he was shy to almost everyone.

As soon as he clicked a button to promote his character, the lights to his room shut off. He was home alone, and he wasn't yet accustomed to a room of complete darkness. He swore he heard a voice in the thunder that soon followed. You're completely alone.

And it was true, at least for the time. His mom and dad were out for their weekly dinner date, and he had no one to run to. All he could do was close his eyes, imagining the character that he made—XyeonjunX.

His character was strong, dangerous—a force to be reckoned with. Yeonjun had a large imagination, so he was able to find comfort in his online character. It's what helped him survive until his parents came back. They knocked on the door and asked if he was alright.

When the lights came back on, Yeonjun was just happy he survived the night. Although when he thinks back on this memory... was it possible that the Black Mage was behind the blackout? He's questioning every event in his past now, wondering whether the evil forces of the Maple World were behind them—pulling every string in a calculated motion.

"I'll face my fears today," Yeonjun mutters to himself. Out of everyone in the band, he admits he certainly talks to himself the most. "C'mon, Black Mage, show up if you really mean what you say."

Then he continues to jog. He goes so far, past so many streets and train stations, that he doesn't even know which district he's in. All he knows is that the crowds, packed apartments, and endless food vendors change into empty streets, lower buildings, and the occasional tree somehow surviving the overcast of this gray city.

"I have no idea where I am," Yeonjun mutters. "Great."

He tries to find some of the sense of humor he was given after BTS' Jungkook cheered them up and his abilities were strengthened while training. But he finds nothing. He just wants to go back home and sleep.

But the streets are confusing. When he tries to pull up a map on his phone, his shoulders shudder when he finds that no signal can be found. Of course, he could try asking passing strangers.... But how could he know whether or not they're minions of the Mage? The last thing he needs is another Beomgyu moment, being chased by a person overcome in black smoke and monstrous fangs.

He curses when he can't even get in contact with his band members. His text message are redirected, and the only ones he receives back start with We're sorry, but your text—"

Yeonjun shakes his head at his stupidity. He might as well have walked straight into a trap by their enemy. He has no idea why the Mage hasn't already materialized and grabbed him by the throat.

Remember why you chose to be an artist.

One of Bang PD-nim's lines stands out in the back of his mind. He became an artist to inspire others, but also to heal himself. He can't heal himself if he has fears, so he might as well face them head on when he has the perfect opportunity. He has no idea whether he's in Dongmyo or Jongno 5-ga, whether he's heading north or south.

He just continues to run, ducking in and out of side streets. He closes his eyes, imagining he's the character he made so long ago in his bedroom. XyeonjunX becomes a part of him. He becomes the rogue of his childhood dreams, mastering the art of agility and quick-wittedness.

An hour later, he finds himself outside a club. The place is composed of a huge neon sign, metallic paint, and a line coming out from the darkened entrance. Two bodyguards with dark glasses check people in, and the crowd is dressed in their finest leather and furs. EDM music blares out from the indoor speakers, finding their way into his bones.

Yeonjun's so exhausted, from avoiding pitfalls and ducking in and out of Seoul's winding alleyways, he wants nothing more to head inside for a soda or two. He'll ignore the crowd of Club Airy and just focus on recharging. The Black Mage doesn't seem to want to challenge him tonight, so maybe he'll call it a day as well.

"Don't tell me you're thinking of going in there," says a familiar voice behind him.

A/N: Who found Yeonjun? let me know what you think, and thank you for sticking with this story!