25 - Beomgyu

Alone, Beomgyu's frustration builds to the point of no return.

Two months ago, his greatest worry involved putting on a perfect performance for overseas fans. Now, he's gone through being attacked by a mystical boss, being chased down by minions, and hiding from dark cats that may or may not have been spawned by Suga—once their most trusted mentor.

Now, a week before the concert and ten days before Christmas, Beomgyu knows he has to act soon.

While the rest of the team has slowly begun to accept BTS' betrayal, Beomgyu has been running every single instance the seven idols helped them through their careers, from the first week of debut until now. How could such kind and genuine people turn on them in an instant? Topaz and the rest of the Resistance have no right to alienate them. They're theories are turning more and more accusatory as the days go on. They call BTS names in their board meetings and make it seem like they're puppets on strings.

And the image of him hurting Yeonjun keeps popping up in his vision, like a ghost that won't go away. He sees the older boy crumpling to the ground, his normal strong posture being traded for limbs like paper. Again and again, Beomgyu's heart stops when imagining what he'd do if his magic was a bit stronger--if he struck out just a bit harder.

The walks around the Castle are amazing, the vision of colors too vivid for the world he's used to. Beomgyu stumbles upon monsters of the World and fights against a few mushrooms turned into the Black Mage's minions--all chaotic bobbing and eyes devoid of color.

But despite the distraction and the adventurous spell put on TXT, Beomgyu still feels guilty and idle. He needs to do something to righten his mistakes. He almost killed his best friend, but who knows whether it was him who led the Black Mage to the hideout as well? The thought lodges a spike in his skull.

When the rest of the members are asleep, Beomgyu creeps out of his bunk, careful not to trip over piles of clothing. Once he's out in the hall, he dodges the patrol of Resistance members until he makes it to the living room. Here, he recognizes the exit from the many times crews would return from the above-ground patrols. He must make his way through a winding tunnel that connects to a portal that should lead back to his world. He'll find himself in the sewers on the outskirts of Itaewon.

Halfway through the winding tunnel, he hears Topaz following his tracks.

"Anyway, we should continue fighting against the random bursts happening in the most crowded places." Topaz sounds gruff and tired, as if he hasn't had a proper night's rest in ages. "Also, the government is on full alarm. Since they can't see skills or anything related to the Maple World... it's just strange for groups of people to suddenly faint on the spot."

Beomgyu speeds up before Topaz and his colleague catches up to him. The portal is nearby--it's a concentrated oval of iridescent light. Without thinking too hard, he jumps inside and is overcome by a sensation both cooling and warming to his skin. His vision spins, the gravity on his body adjusts, and he finds himself panting in a damp tunnel. Trickles of water scatter through his senses, and rivulets trace around his shoes. The darkness is overwhelming, but in the distance Beomgyu makes out the familiar sounds of a noraebang and a few buskers belting out a Taylor Swift song.

He makes it past the tunnel and finds himself in a drainage zone, where the walls are covered in moss and the musky scent causes his nostrils to scream. He makes out a ladder in the far corner and begins to climb.

Quick, quick, quick.

He repeats the word like a mantra, like it's a skill in itself. Soon, he's made his way to the top of the drain, where a manhole cover sits right above his head. He pushes forcefully, quickly scrambling above ground just when Topaz and his friend enter the area below.

"It's one of the boys!" Topaz calls out. "Come back, it's not safe!"

Beomgyu doesn't listen, not when so many factors are pulling his conscience every which way. He gets up on the moonlit street, covers the drain with the manhole cover again, and darts down one of the side streets.

It feels good to be back in Seoul. Despite the pollution, the air smells fresh compared to the Castle's underground. Even though shops crowd him on the left and right, and the lights are blaring as if to make him feel small, the sense of freedom is overwhelming. Almost a month in the Castle has made him thankful for everything between the sky and ground. He's tempted to enter one of the large cafes that sells fruit tea and cheesecake, but he has another pressing mission.

I have to find Taehyung. He has to know something about the Mage, and I won't accept an explanation from anyone else.

He finds shelter underneath the jutting roof of a closed flower shop. He begins to dial Taehyun's number, hopeful that he'll pick up. If he doesn't, he'll send a couple texts.

Beomgyu is left on ringtone, and the burn on his heart is magnified. How could he be ignored? He knows he's being stupid. He knows Taehyung is probably busy with practice. The concert is coming up soon.

Of course. Don't jump to conclusions.

He shakes his head when his mind begins to shift toward dark theories. Maybe Taehyung is busy defending himself against the Mage, and his cellphone is the farthest thing from his mind.

He looks up after sending a second text. After a car passes, Beomgyu realizes that he's completely alone. It's the strangest sight he's witnessed in a while, being it's only midnight and this district is known for its vibrant nightlife.

When shadows begin to stir in the center of the road, he knows he's in trouble.

The Black Mage himself materializes in his full form. Radiating dark purple energy, his cloak shifts in the slight breeze, and his dark eyes absorb the shadow from the street corners like magnets of death. He stands three feet taller than Beomgyu, fashioning a silver smirk that would leave the strongest soldier in the world deathly afraid.

Beomgyu is left speechless. His muscles tense. His thoughts freeze, and for a second he's reminded of his helplessness in the grocery store--when he first sneaked out on his own.

But he's stronger now. Relying on his training, he forms his pistol and begins to shoot with all the willpower he can muster.

But after only a few rounds, the Mage draws near and knocks the weapon out of his hands. "Go to sleep," the boss mutters.

And without a chance to form his pirate's brass knuckles, Beomgyu faints into the embrace of a black cloud.

A/N: Beomgyu is in trouble! How do you think he'll get out of this one?