2~Whipped and dazed

Min woke up the next day with the bear in her arms, and she stretched as she opened her small mouth into a yawn.

But she winced slightly as the cut at her lower lip opened again, and licked her metallic tasting lips.

"It tastes bad, Lucky. Maybe, I should wash my teeth," she mumbled as she hid him under her pillow.

"You can sleep a little more," she whispered, then went to the bathroom.

She grabbed the tiny stool, and set it in front of the sink. She stepped on it, and stood on her toes to reach her toothbrush. Despite her age, Min did almost everything on her own.

However, if she forgot or was too lazy, then she'll either get beaten or her parents wouldn't care much.

Min brushed her teeth for a while, spat out the paste, gargled some water, and spat out again.

"My hair is such a mess," she mumbled to herself, and grabbed the hair brush on the sink.

She ran it through her hair, thinking it would get less messy.

She put it back, and hopped off the stool.

Min walked down the stairs carefully, looking around to see if her parents were awake. Her mother was, and she passed in front of the staircase, not noticing her child standing there at all.

Min continued down the stairs, and whispered, "Mommy?"

Her mother, who was on the phone, finally noticed her five year old. "What do you say in the morning?"

"G-good morning," Min lowered her head.

"Good, now, breakfast is on the table," her mother said. Min nodded, and moved to the chair; she grunted softly as she climbed onto it.

An inkigayo leftover sandwich of last night's dinner lied in a plate. Min was really hungry since last night, and just as she almost took a bite, her mother called from upstairs, "Choi Min! Come upstairs!"

"Yes, mommy," she said, and looked at the delicious, abandoned sandwich as she ran out the kitchen.

"What did I tell you to do with your dirty pyjamas before?" Her mother glared at her as she held up her favorite nightie in the air with two fingers.

"I couldn't find the laundry basket! You took it last night, and put it somewhere before you went with Mrs. Gyeong," Being hungry in the morning made Min impatient.

"Is that how you talk to your mother?"

"I didn't do anything," Min whined.

Her mother threw Min's clothes on her. "I warned you last time, Min, and I don't like the way you're talking to me," her mother reached into her closet, and took out a belt.

"No!" Min exclaimed as she ran down the stairs.

"Choi Min! Either you come here, or I'll have to drag you up here from your hair!" Her mother warned.

"Mommy, no!" She whined as she stomped her feet.
"What do you choose?"her mother yelled from her room.

Min dragged her feet up the stairs, already starting to cry. "Please, don't beat me," she cried.

"Don't be stubborn. Come here," her mother waved the belt.

"I don't want to be hit! It hurts!" Min cried.
"Min!" Her mom screamed.

Min had to give in as she wailed. Her mom lifted the belt, and landed a smack on Min's bottom. Min screamed and begged her mom to stop.

"Stop screaming!" Her mom scorned as she grabbed her hair, landed another whip, and another.

"Honey, that's enough," her father appeared at the door.

Min ran to him, and hid behind his legs.

"Daddy, please!" Min cried, stomping her feet, and rubbing her whipped bottom. She felt it throbbing, and the pain was unbearable.

"She was being disrespectful," her mom spat.
"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" her daughter wailed.

She looked up at her dad as he turned around. The poor baby thought he was going to pick her up, or calm her down in any way; but he just gave her a cold glance, and started down the stairs with her mom behind him.

They talked casually, as if there wasn't a baby wailing at the top of the stairs, and sat down at the table to have breakfast.

Min limped to her bed, slipped under the covers, and hugged her teddy tightly. It was when she heard the doorbell ring, that she scurried to the top of the stairs, again, to see who it was.

"Good morning, Mr. Choi..."

She recognized the voice, but the rest of the conversation was barely audible. What's behind her neighbor caught Min's attention.

It was a drizzling, sunless day. Puddles on the grass and the sidewalk could be seen. All this really intrigued Min.

Min was rarely ever outside, and she wished to feel the raindrops on her palm instead of feeling it soft against the window glass.

Her father closed the door after the neighbor left, and Min went back into her room.

She grabbed Teddy, and went to the stairs; she limped down them. Min moved on her tippy toes softly, and ducked down a little so her parents wouldn't see her.

She reached the front door's knob, and twisted it. Once the door opened, she realized it wasn't like anything she has ever seen.

The porch was wet-everything was. There were small puddles everywhere that Min just wanted to hop in, and the outline of a rainbow started to form.

She was only in her pyjamas and winter socks, but she couldn't care less; it was like she was put under a spell of the rain.

The baby walked out of the house, looking around in a daze. She felt her socks get wet as she descended the few steps.

A rain droplet fell on her nose, and the baby let out the most genuine giggle. Her bear was being dragged along, too, and it started getting wet as well.

She forgot her pain and tears as she continued walking. The baby hasn't felt this happiness for so long; it was like she finally felt as carefree as a normal baby would.

Her hair and clothes started getting damper, and she walked through the driveway. She had no idea where she was going or exactly what she was doing-only the feeling that she had to keep walking.