1

It was Lucy's first day at her new job, she'd hoped it would have been with the police force, but life had other plans. She was surprised when she landed a position at a prison as a correctional officer with the little experience she had, but she was absolutely ecstatic when she received a phone call confirming that she got the job. Taking a few breaths, she prepared herself to walk into the belly of the beast. Some of the most twisted and ruthless men were detained in that building and she had learned how important it was to have a thick skin and a 'won't take any shit' attitude. After brushing the blonde strand behind her ear and straightening out her pressed long sleeve blue button down embroidered with 'L. Amorosi', she confidently entered the building.

"Ah you must be the new officer." The lady in the administration box said. Lucy nodded whilst removing all her metal items and placing her bag down to be checked before stepping through the large scanning archway.

"Lucy Amorosi." She introduced herself to the woman who peered over her large framed glasses.

"Sarah Davis, nice to meet you. I have just signed you in if you make your way down the hall an officer will do a mandatory pat down and then you can head to the warden's office."

"Thank you." Lucy had been grateful for the induction she had received, she had made it her priority to know the ins and outs of the prison. After an awkward first encounter with officer Rodgers, she made her way to the warden to discuss her duties for the week.

"Come in." A voice came from the other side after she knocked on the large wooden door.

"Good Morning, sir." Vincent Marten was a short stocky man with dark cropped hair littered with grey sprinkled throughout, he had explained during her induction that he had been working at the prison for several years. He was a nice man but she could tell when it came to his job, he demanded control and obedience from his subordinates.

"Amorosi come in," he smiled kindly. Lucy stood with her back straight and hands behind her back, a stance she had mimicked from her father at a young age. "as I mentioned previously, we work on a rotation throughout each area of the campus, here is your schedule it shows you where you need to be, at what time and when your break is. You may place your personal items in the staff lockers, here is your key." He rushed, handing her items before going back to the paperwork that was scattered on his desk.

"Is that all sir?"

"Yes, that will be all. Enjoy your first day."

"Thank you, sir." Lucy smiled feeling blessed to have a good boss and so far, what seemed to be a good job.

After placing her bag into her assigned locker, she sat down at the table in the small kitchenette reading over her schedule. Her first shift was in the dining area at 8:00 am, looking over the day she noticed she was mainly assigned to gen pop sections except for one shift. Her last post of the day was at an isolation cell guarding inmate 1374-6052. At the prison some inmates were confined to their cell with very minimal interactions with others because of their unpredictable and high-risk behavior. From her understanding her job was just to stand outside the cell and monitor, not much different to the rest of the job. 

"Well hello." Looking up she only now noticed the man who entered the room, seeking another cup of hot coffee.

"Good Morning." Lucy observed the man as he stirred the dark liquid, before leaning against the bench taking a sip. She turned her focus back on her schedule but from the corner of her eye she could see him blatantly staring at her profile.

"Kurt." He introduced himself taking a seat across from her, placing her schedule down Lucy gave him her full attention. Kurt was quite a handsome young man with smoldering eyes and a strong jaw dusted with scruff, he had a lean build that nicely filled his uniform.