19

The inmate was wearing a groove into the concrete with his constant, fast pacing. He had tied his jumpsuit around his waist and taken off his singlet, his almost frantic movements back and forth had him out of breath and sweating. He was too far in.

Last night made him realize that his feelings for Lucy were becoming too strong and he needed to cut it off before she got hurt. He had to do something, he had spent so much time trying to get the woman to trust him but revealing his dirty secrets may be the only answer to making her realize that whatever was going on needed to stop. Ace wanted to say he had stuck to his initial motives of having meaningless, no feelings involved sex with the new female guard, but he couldn't. He wanted to say it was Lucy who was becoming clingy and was suffocating him and that's why he needed to cut her off, but he couldn't put the blame on her. It was him.

Ace had plenty of practice at sleeping with a girl and dumping her the next morning, with some he would keep around for a few weeks before kicking them to the curb and it was easy. With Lucy it was different, for the first time he cared about another woman aside from his mother and that was one of the main reasons he needed to provide her with an escape or rather he had to push her to safety. She was too good for him. She deserved better then him.

Lucy was kind, beautiful and warm. In his eyes the perfect woman, she deserved a happy life with someone who could give her a healthy relationship. As much as Ace hated the thought of some b@stard being with her, he knew he could never give her a normal life. Just another punishment for his past.

The brute sat on the edge of his bed and huffed, luckily the C.O. that was supposed to be at his cell was late to his post and there was no one there to see the effects of his frantic thoughts. Laying back on his bed, Costello stretched out before closing his eyes and the first image behind his eyelids was the smiling minx.

Ace formulated his plan to scare the woman away, it would be his way to push her into the deep end of his dark past and will have her wanting to stay far away from him to keep herself from drowning. The inmate let out a breath as a sinking feeling settled in his stomach at the realisation that Lucy was going to find out the real monster he was. Those deep blue eyes would never hold the same glee or cheer at the sight of him, that's if she could even look at him again.

...

"Alright Murray, I'm off." Lucy finished one of the fresh bagels Allison and her had made on the weekend.

"Bye dear, say hi to Ace for him." The older man was dressed in a long sleeve tee, three quarter shorts and a wide brimmed hat on top of his head. His outfit suitable for his day of mowing the lawn, trimming some trees and pruning bushes.

"Will do, bye." Lucy opened the garage door before jumping inside her vehicle and slinging her bag to the backseat.

About twenty minutes later she was pulling into the prison parking lot with still some time before her shift. She spent this extra time talking with the receptionist, who seemed pleased to be dragged away from her computer screen.

"So how are you and Kurt?" Lucy asked smiling, the couple had been going out for a few months now.

"We are good." The officer noticed that Sarah's words didn't match her facial expression, she hesitant to describe her relationship.

"That didn't sound too confident."

"Well, the other night he asked me to move in with him." Lucy felt her eyes widen on there own accord and Sarah laughed softly. "Yeah that was my reaction too. It's a bit too soon right, and I don't think I'm ready to give up my apartment and then we don't end up working out. Don't get me wrong, I really really like Kurt, but I just don't know."