12

"Sir, I can ex-" Lucy's shaking voice was soon cut off.

"Please let me finish, I think you're really fitting in nicely here. I've noticed how the inmates have taken a liking towards you, and seems to me that you have earned their respect." The weight on the young woman's shoulders lifted and she was now able to breath normally. " I'll keep this short so you can get back to work. I'm going to allow you to run these exercise classes, you can put up some sign up sheets around the prison and once you have numbers I'll draw you up a new timetable. You should be able to start classes next week." Vincent smiled showing off the small lines around his eyes.

"T-thank you sir." Lucy smiled back, excitement bubbling inside of her. After thanking Vincent profusely, the officer left his room and went back to work. Her mind filling with ideas of what she could do in the classes. Walking into the library, she smiled politely at the older inmate who was sorting through books.

"Afternoon officer Amorossi." Lucy had become quite friendly with librarian Davis. The older gentleman wore small round glasses that sat at the end of his nose, his minimal white hair grew on the sides and back of his head and  he had a great love for literature.

"Hey Davis, does your computer have Word?" The officer wanted to hang the sign up sheets as soon as possible. The inmate pushed his glasses up on his nose and gave her a confused look.

"The only thing I do with that contraption is check books in and out." Lucy laughed slightly before sitting behind the desk and logging into the computer. She quickly opened a new document and created a simple sign up sheet, before printing copies. Davis was her first signature but he only opted for the low impact and yoga classes. The officer wished the man a good day before moving out to the yard, making small stops to display the sign up sheets.

...

Kurt watched Ace closely, there was something weird about him. The inmate seemed to be in quite a good mood but he wasn't his usual chatty self. Kurt had specifically noticed how he didn't speak of Lucy, the officer predicted that things had gone south after their  'almost kiss'.

"Lucy is instructing exercise classes for inmates next week." Ace simply nodded his eyes glued to his cards, but Kurt didn't miss the small rise of his lips. After a small pause, Ace lifted his head a full grin spreading across his face.

"What?" The officer asked, confused by the inmates newfound glee.

"I think exercise classes would be very beneficial for me."

"Too bad you can't leave this cell unless you're showering or dying."

"True, but considering I have never asked the warden for any special treatment since being confined to this cell, maybe he could make an exception. Also with my amazing report from the officer that has been posted at my cell for the majority of my incarceration, I'm sure old Vince will gladly let me attend some classes." Kurt studied Aces' suspicious behaviour, he knew something had happened between the inmate and Lucy.

"I'll only write you a good report, if you tell me what the hell has happened between you and Lucy." Ace let out a sigh and diverted his eyes away. Kurt was the one person he trusted the most in this prison, but he didn't know if he could tell him about what happened yesterday. Ace didn't want to put his friend in that position where he would have conceal this secret.

"We uh." Kurt noticed how flustered the man had become. In the years they had known each other, Ace and Kurt had told each other almost everything. Kurt knew that Lucy and Ace must have crossed some sort of line, if Ace was struggling to share what had happened with him. After watching the man stutter a while longer, the officer finally decided to put Ace out of his misery.