5

"Alright, out with it." Kurt had given Lucy sometime to breath and beat around the bush, but he wanted to get his secret off his chest as much as her.

Lucy picked at the bowl of wedges in front of her, trying to distract him she asked Kurt if he wanted one. But when she looked up to his serious expression, she imagined Kurt's response would be something along the lines of 'just bloody talk woman'. A defeated sigh slipped past her lips as she realized there was no way out of this, it was time to just come out with it.

"You remember how last week I asked you to switch my post at Aces' cell a couple of times." Kurt nodded, "Well I asked you to do that because previously that week he had a deck of cards in his cell and instead of taking them off him or telling someone, I just did nothing. I was so angry with myself and Ace, I just couldn't face him. Then this morning I basically tore his head off for it and I have been in a bad mood ever since. " Kurt stayed quiet, Lucy turned her head to the side looking for some kind of reaction.

"Hello Kurt, are you listening to me?" He took a swig of his beer and almost laughed at Lucy's annoyed expression.

"Yes, um actually I have a little confession I have to make too. I'm the one who gave Ace those playing cards." Kurt had the urge to shield himself as he watch the woman's face contort into a furious scowl.

"What?!" Lucy yelled loudly making people turn their heads in the pairs direction. Kurt looked at the people, telling them to mind their own business.

"This is the first time I've ever left something in his cell, I swear."

"Kurt you could have been fired." Lucy couldn't believe Kurt, how he literally put his job and reputation in the inmates hands. It would be difficult for him to get a job in other prisons, with something as serious as sneaking contraband into an inmates cell on his record.

"I know it sounds crazy but I trust the b@stard, I would never actually give him something that could be a danger to anyone or himself."

"He's a high risk detainee in prison." She stated, as if he didn't already know. Kurt felt the urge to roll his eyes at the description of high risk connected to Ace.

"Come on Lucy would you honestly consider Ace as high risk, has he ever seemed all that dangerous?" Lucy had wondered why he was segregated from the rest of the inmates, he seemed quite mellow compared to the stories she had heard about other high risk inmates.

"No, but that doesn't mean he is to be trusted. Ace is isolated from guards and other inmates for a reason." Kurt scoffed softly, almost as if he knew something she didn't.

"This stays between you and I, okay?," Lucy nodded, keeping her eyes locked with Kurts serious ones. "The truth is Ace is in confinement because he wants to be, you wouldn't believe how corrupt the prison system is. Ace doesn't want to be in amongst the other inmates, so he has his people on the outside pay a generous fee to the warden for his own personal room."

"How do you know he isn't telling you stories?" Lucy was very skeptical, Ace was a criminal it was hard to believe the words of someone behind bars.

"Obviously, I didn't believe his story at first but some receipts of bank deposits that were left on the warden desk, just so happened to catch my attention when I was in his office one day. Receipts that included transactions under the exact bank account details Ace had told me about." He smirked mischievously.

Lucy was shocked, who the hell was this Costello guy? Ace had to be someone of great power, if he was able to control people from the outside and even manipulate those within the prison to get what he wanted. She believed it, Kurt would get nothing out of lying. In fact, the only thing he would get is a prison sentence himself, if she was to tell anyone.