Chapter 1

Chapter 1

There was one minute left on the clock and I could see the desperation on the boys faces. Each was breathing heavy with their eyes focused on either the puck or the other players. It was all or nothing now. If they wanted to win, they had to score.

I watched as the coach yelled a mixture of things at the boys on the ice receiving a small nod of the head as comprehension of what to do. The crowd cheered in encouragement and I silently hoped they could pull off a play like this. It was hardly ever done before and not many coaches have initiated this play unless they were desperate enough.

I held my breath as each team got ready for the puck drop. Everthing happened in a blur. 23, Kane Tucker, somehow managed to pull the puck back from the Red Devils and passed it off to 15, Cole Arnold, who raced down the rink to meet his other three offense men. Time was running out and I urged the boys to do something. Arnold passed the puck through the legs of the Red Devil's number 3, Harrison Gray, and it landed in control of 8, Talon Beckett. He looked for a way through to the net but when the coach yelled something inaudible to me he passed it to the final offense men, number 12, Jack Vella. He took the puck and faked going left then tore right, skated behind the net, twirled around and launched the puck. The Red Devil's goalie had no time to react and the puck landed directly into it's intended target.

The crowd went wild as the buzzer sounded. I smiled as I watched the hockey team skate towards each other in a huddle of excitement because they actually did it. They scored in the last remaining seconds of the game. They won.

As time went on after the initial buzz of winning wore off the team exited the rink and everyone else began to leave as well. For some reason I stuck around. It had become my routine to stick around after the rink cleared and walk around the entire rink at least once. I only made it half way around when the zamboni driver came out onto the ice to clean it up after the game. He noticed me immediately and yelled, "Sorry, miss you got to leave, they'll be locking up soon."

I nodded and slipped on my coat before making my way up the stairs and out into the rink's foyer. It was almost empty other than a few drunken strays trying to find their way to an exit. I grimaced at them and turned the corner to head towards where I parked.

"Damn, babe, you are one mighty fine piece of meat!" I looked up and saw a tall guy in Red Devil sweats leaning against a wall in front of me. With him were a few of his teammates and I felt their eyes look me up and down. I looked back down, continued walking, and tried to ignore them, but I'm never that lucky. The one who spoke out grabbed my wrist as I walked by and pulled me into the middle of their group.

"C'mon baby leaving so soon? Don't you wanna hang with some big time hockey players?" He cooed pushing me against the wall, blocking my exit. He reached his hand up and twirled a piece of my hair through his fingers. I scoffed, pulling my head back. My hair slipped through his grasp. "Actually I'd rather leave." I stated.

"We could have fun, couldn't we, sweets?" Another of the Red Devils said. I freaked a little on the inside when he stood on the other side of me with his hand against my arm. I took a deep breath trying to keep my cool. "Could you let me go, please." I said even though my voice shook near the end.

"Maybe, but not y-" The one who held my hair began to say but was cut off by a cleared throat.

All heads turned to the left as Jack Vella pushed his way through the group of guys. "What the hell is going on here?" He asked, sounding pissed. The Red Devils smirked and the guy to my right growled, "This doesn't concern you, Duster, so I suggest you stay out of it and sit the bench on this one." The Red Devils snickered. Jack's expression changed from miffed to murderous at the name calling.

"Is that so? Well, I'm not one to sit the bench often, and I'm not going to start now. So take your hands off the girl, go board your bus, and reflect over how not to be a bunch of plugs." Jack said. He continued to glare at each of the devils but none of them moved. I glanced back and forth at the guys facing off. While each was distracted I tried to shrug off the grip the one on my right had on me but his hand only tightened. "And why should we listen to you?" He asked, increasing the hold he had on my arm. I winced at the pain and looked up at Jack. He met my eyes, looked to the guy's hand, then returned looking at the Red Devils. His jaw was clenched and I could tell he was tired of this bullshit.

"My rink, my rules, and unless you don't want to be allowed back I suggest you let her go immediately before I charge you for sexual harassment." Jack said harshly and the devils eyes widened. "Also I think you might be missing your bus." Jack smirked as he pointed to the windows just in time to see the Red Devils bus roll on by.

"Damn it, Dakota! Not again. Drop this and c'mon." Another one of them exclaimed. Dakota, the one gripping my arm, gave Jack a final scowl before releasing me and followed after his teammates. I watched as they ran out the door and chased their bus down the street.

"You okay?" I looked back to Jack, forgetting he was there. My cheeks burned with my blush, but still I managed to hold eye contact with him. I smiled slightly. "Um... Yeah. Thanks."

"Don't mention it, well I'll catch you later... Um..."

"Rosie." I answered the question that wasn't there.

"Rosie." He said slowly, the corners of his mouth rose slightly. "I'll see you around, Rosie, and remember to avoid hockey players at all cost. They're bad news." Jack said while readjusting his bag strap before turning away from me and walking towards the exit.

I stood there watching him walk away, and the very moment before he reached the door his head turned back. He looked straight at me and smiled. Then he was gone.

I sighed and began to walk into the direction I was headed before. I thought about what Jack said about how all hockey players are "bad news." But he was wrong, I don't think all of them are.