Chapter 5: Meeting the O'Malley's

I was standing at the desk filling out the charting when George came up to me, looking very anxious. "Hey so my parents are here because my dad was admitted." He told me. "Oh wow is he okay?" I asked. "Yeah he is but they want to meet you." He replied. "Oh wow really?" I asked. "Yeah I told them about you, and they are really happy for me." He replied back. "Okay lets go." I replied. He grabbed my hand and lead me down the hall to the patient room his dad is in. "Here we go." He told me taking a deep breathe and opening the door. Inside the room there sat his mom, his two brothers and his dad laying in the bed. "Mom, dad, Ronnie and Jerry this is Taylor." He told them still holding onto my hand. His mom gasped clapping her hands together and came over to give me a hug. "Oh it's so wonderful to meet the girl who has stole Georgie's heart." She gasped smiling at me. "We have heard so much about you." Harold told me. "It's nice to meet you too Mr and Mrs O'Malley." I replied. "Oh please dear call us Louise and Harold." His mom laughed. "You are so much prettier then Georgie described you." Harold said to me. "We thought he was making it up." Ronnie said. "Yeah he wouldn't shut up about it, but now we know it's true." Jerry teased. At that moment, Dr. Bailey, Izzie, Meredith, and Alex came into the room. "O'Malley present." She told him. "Harold O'Malley 63, admitted for a leaky aortic valve but tests showed that he has esophageal cancer that spread to his stomach." George presented. "Very good O'Malley who do you want to be on the case?." Bailey asked him. "Taylor I mean Dr. Smith." He replied. "Okay Dr. Smith this is your case now." She told me patting me on the arm making me gulp. "Don't worry I will be here to help you." George whispered in my ear reassuringly before we headed out the door to go finish our rounds. "It was so nice to meet your parents." I told him. "They really like you." He replied. "I like them, your brothers seem nice too." I replied back. I went to find Izzie to have her help me talk down my nerves. "Hey I need you to talk down my nerves." I told her. "What are you nervous about?" She asked me. "That I'm on George's dad's case and the fact that his life is literally in my hands." I replied. "Listen if anything would happen to him it's not your fault, he has cancer. George wouldn't blame you, he likes you too much." She told me. "Thanks I needed that." I replied back giving her a hug right as my pager went off. "Oh gosh 9-1-1 on George's dad gotta go!" I said running off. I ran into his dads room to find George hovering over him shouting orders at the nurse. "What happened?" I asked. "He was talking fine and all the sudden couldn't breathe." His mom said tearfully. "Louise it will be okay, we will take care of him." I reassured her grabbing her hand. "Taylor book an O.R immediately and page Bailey." George told me. We headed to the OR where Bailey and Webber both met us. "George we got this go stay with your mom." Bailey told him. "I will come update as soon as we know something." I reassured him giving him a quick kiss on the cheek before heading into the OR. I watched as Bailey and Webber cut him open examining his chest and intestines. "Damn it!" Webber said. "What's wrong?" I asked getting closer. "Looks like the cancer spread to his intestines." He told me. "So now what?" I asked. "We can't do anything, there is too much damage." Bailey replied. "Please go give them an update." Webber told me. I left the OR trying to figure out how to explain it to them, especially George. When they saw me coming, they all stood up and rushed over to me. George saw how pale I looked, and the expression on my face so he grabbed my hand and squeezed. "I'm trying to figure out how to tell you this." I told them. "Take your time." George told me. "When we cut into him, the cancer had spread causing damage to his organs. There is nothing more we can do, he will be on life support." I managed to get out. Louise sat down gasping for air, as she cried. "Mom it will be okay." Jerry reassured her. I turned to George who looked more calm than the others. "George I'm so sorry." I told him. "No it's okay, it's not your fault." He told me pulling me into a hug and started to cry on my shoulder. "It will be okay, I'm here." I told him patting him on the back. The next few days would be rough for George and his family so I stayed close helping with his dad and getting anything that they needed.