Chapter 14: Well That Happened

You could feel it. The fear.

It surrounded us in the lab. As we all watched, intensely staring at the now cracking egg.

Donnie was tapping his Bo Staff nervously as the minutes ticked by. My hand was on my Sai attached to my hip. Little by little cracks consumed the entirety of the egg.

The incubator holding the egg radiated warmth adding to the sweat on our bodies from nerves.

Finally breaking the silence, Mikey groans. "Dudes I don't even think it's going to be dangerous." He says, halting his nunchuk swinging.

Donnie scoffs, "Everytime we do anything with mutagen it always turns dangerous and tries to kill us!"

Mikey shakes his head, walking over to the incubator "This little thing? A baby? Would a baby really kill-" he's cut off by a large 'crack' sound and Mikey screams, running behind Leo as the shell finally lets go revealing..

A baby mutant. It looked like a Cameleon but with a turtle shell on it's back.

It sits there struggling to get eggshell away from its eyes and body. Mikey whispers, "Don go check it out.."

Donnie gulps and nudges the incubator door with his staff, it swings open and you can hear whimpering.

Donnie hesitantly sets his staff down and reaches inside the incubator, gently picking it up. Holding it in his arms he moves the shell pieces away from it's eyes and body. The kid opens it's eyes slowly and sees Don. Cooing it smiles and Donnie looks to us nervously.

"Told ya!" Mikey whispers, coming out from behind Leo and up to the kid.

"Well Don, you did it, you made your own kid." Leo states coming closer as well. Donnie panics.

"No no no no no no... Guys I can't be a dad... I can't!"

I quickly notice his hyperventilating state and put a hand on his shoulder. "Hey Don, it's okay. Leo and I are here to help. But this," I say gesturing to the kid "this is your responsibility now, you made it. If you throw it out into the street imagine how much it would go through."

Donnie looks down at the kids hazel eyes and calms down. "Your right."

"Is it a girl or a boy?" Mikey asks.

Donnie shrugs and examines it. After a few minutes he has an answer, "Her. It's a girl."

Mikey squeals in excitement, "Can I help you name her Donnie? Please? Pleaseeeeee!?"

Sighing Donnie nods, "Yes I'm terrible at names anyway."

Mikey jumps for joy and Splinter walks in chuckling. "My hunch is that what the egg contained wasn't dangerous?" We all shake our heads and Splinter comes to observe his new grandchild. He reaches out to hold her and Donnie hands her to him.

"Girl or boy?" Our father asks cradling Donnie's daughter.

We all say in unison, "Girl."

Splinter smiles, "We have a pattern I see. Congratulations Donatello."

Thanking our father Donnie takes her back into his arms. "What is her name my son?" Splinter asks looking as Donnie does his best to cradle his daughter.

Donnie shrugs, "I don't know yet Mikey is going to help me though." Splinter nods before wiggling his ears at this granddaughter, making her laugh. He then smiles and leaves to head to bed.

"Thanks guys for helping me, I'm gonna stay up a little longer to study and make sure she really isn't dangerous." Donnie says rocking her in his arms. We all look to each other hesitantly but sigh and smile.