Chapter one

I woke up with a jolt.
Another sleepless night.
Lately I've been getting these reoccurring nightmares that I've been kidnapped and tortured by a hooded creature. Weird I know but they're enough to make me dread going to sleep.
I check the time to see it's 3:47 am. 13 minutes until IT comes.

Well seeing as I'm not going to be falling asleep any time soon,I'll tell you a bit about myself.
My name is Aubrey Summers,I've just turned 24 and I work in a hospital for mental patients.
I do actually enjoy my job, although it's not exactly what my parents wanted for me. They wanted me to be a surgeon. Can you imagine the looks on their faces when I told them I'm studying psychiatry. I'm working in a hospital.... just not the kind they had hoped for me.
There is one other thing you should know about me. This is something no one knows about me.
I sometimes feel like I am a mental patient myself.
Let me explain.
Every night at 4:00 on the dot, I see a hand on the outside of my window,pressed against the glass.
Some nights I can just see the hand,whereas other nights I can see the whole arm. An arm covered with cuts and bruises.
I've tried investigating many times only to find there's nothing or no one there.

It's been nearly two months since I first started seeing the hand outside my window and I've come to the conclusion that I'm hallucinating. There's no other explanation. I've checked and there's no one there.
3:59
One minute left.
I would be lying if I said it didn't terrify me. And not every night do I go to see what or who it is. Most nights I'm actually too scared to move.
*tapping*
It's here. I can hear it. I checked the clock. 4:00,yup. I decided to stay in my bed and not move. From my position in bed I could see it. A large hand,pressed up against the glass. Am I really going crazy?

The tapping didn't stop. I was used to it by now. I just kept staring at it,unable to take my eyes away.
Suddenly,the hand left the window and I could see the glimpse of a person. I got up and ran to the window.
When I got there I opened the window just a crack.
" is anyone there?" I asked trying to sound brave.
" help me" was the faint reply.
I called out again "who's there?"
" she's gone." This answer confused me.
" who are you?" I asked,building up more confidence now but still shaking like a leaf on the inside.
No reply
"Hello?" I called
Still no reply.

I went back to bed but couldn't sleep with the thoughts of what just happened running through my head.
Was I really imagining it? It all feels too real to be hallucinations. But then again,a person hallucinating doesn't actually know they are doing so.

7:15
I didn't get any sleep after that. I got up and went to the bathroom. I looked in the mirror and gasped. What is that? I look hideous. I mean what did I expect after nearly 2 months of sleepless nights.
I used the toilet,brushed my teeth and fixed,well tried to fix my hair. I then did my makeup,putting concealer on to cover my bags. I did very light foundation,mascara,a bit of eyeliner and a touch of lipgloss just to look like I'm at least trying. I got dressed,made breakfast and headed out to my car.
8:15. I got 45 minutes to get to the hospital.

It's a miracle I made the drive without crashing. I'm so tired and all my mind can focus on is last night.
Someone was there. I'm sure if it.
I can't stop thinking what they said. they had a deep,masculine voice so I know it's a male. The voice sounded so broken.
'Help me,she's gone'
Who is he and why does he need help? Who's gone? Why does he come to my window every night at 4:00? These questions kept running through my head the whole drive.

I walked through the door and put my finger to the scanner to sign in.
Well best get this day over with.