Chapter ten

CONTINUATION
.......and in walked Jason.
"Aubrey? What's going on?"
I let go of Zac and walked over to Jason,leading him towards the door.
"Can I talk to you later? I'm with a patient." I asked as I tried to push him out the door.
"Shouldn't patients be in their rooms?"
This guy does NOT give up!
"That's between me and my patient now please leave."
I tried to be polite but it was proving very difficult.
"Not until you tell me what's going on"
Deep breaths Aubrey! Do NOT kill him!
"I'll talk to you later,please leave."
"Fine"
Finally!
"But I want answers later."
Ugh! I gave a sarcastic smile and closed the door on him.

"I'm sorry about that" I smiled at Zac apologetically.
"You're not actually gonna tell him about me right?"

"Of coarse not! I just wanted him to leave. I promise you anything you tell me will stay between you and me unless for whatever reason I need to get others involved but if that ever happens,I wouldn't tell anyone without your consent."
This seemed to put him at ease.

I sat back down next to him and just stared at him,waiting to see if there was anything else he wanted to say. He didn't say anything,he just stared right back at me and our eyes connected.
His eyes were a beautiful shade of blue,something I'd never noticed before. They were a soft blue with a dark rim. Absolutely breathtaking. His eyes held so much emotion.
He stared right back into my eyes and it felt like forever had passed when we heard a knock on the door,pulling us out of whatever that was.
I went over to the door and opened it slightly so Zac couldn't be seen.

"Hey girl!! It's Been ages!"
"Alicia,hi! Yes it has been"
"I know,we need to catch up! Jason told me you were here"
She practically squealed with excitement.
"I'm kinda busy right now but I'd definitely love to catch up!"
I looked back over at Zac who was still out of Alicia's view. He was just playing with his hands.

"Why? What're you busy with?" She questioned.
"I'm with a patient but I'll call you when I'm done here"
She seemed happy with that and gave me a hug before leaving.

"Zac,I'm going out with my friend later but I'm not too happy about leaving you on your own,do you want to come with me? I'll introduce you as 'a friend I met at work'."
He thought for a minute before simply nodding.
"Should we go home now?" I asked.
He nodded again and we got up to leave.

We managed to get out without running into Jason and we got in the car.

On the way home,Zac seemed very quiet.
"Is something bothering you?" I asked.
"I was just wondering if maybe Alex could come with?" He said/asked.
I was taken aback and thought about my response before replying "I think it's best if he doesn't.
"Oh okay"
He sounded disappointed.

We got home and went inside. Zac hasn't spoken since I told him 'Alex' can't come.
"Is everything alright?"
He just shrugged.
"Is this about Alex?" I asked.
He looked down at his shoes and nodded slowly.

I led him to the couch and we sat down.
"Do you want to tell me?"
He let out a sigh and began.
"It's just that Alex has been there for me ever since my Mum's death and I'm a bit anxious about going anywhere without him."

I want to tell him but now isn't the right time and he will come to realise himself after a few months of treatment that Alex isn't real.

"Zac..." how do I word this?
Oh forget it.
"Never mind,he can come, but maybe it's best if you don't introduce him because she wants to catch up with me and if there's two extra people,she might not be too happy"
I hope he believes this.
"Yeah sure!"
He seemed happier now.
I gave him a smile and walked out the room to call Alicia.

Au: "Hi! Wanna meet at dolly's cafe?"
Al: "sure that sounds perfect!"
Au: "Oh and do you mind if I bring a friend?"
Al: "sure,it would add to the fun"
Phew!
Au: "Alright,see you soon"
Al: "bye,love u"
Au: "love you too"

————————
"Hi Ali!!"
"Hey girl! Is this your friend?"
I looked over at Zac and gave him a warm smile.
"Yeah,this is Zac. Zac,this is Alicia."
Alicia shook his hand and we all sat down.
Alicia offered to go and order for all of us so we told her our orders and she left,leaving us alone.
I didn't really know what to say so I just sat silently and let my thoughts wonder.
I was pulled away from my thoughts a few seconds later when I heard Zac speak.
"No I don't think so. The pink monkey sounds weirder than the red rabbit."
Oh he must be talking to Alex.
Eye roll.
Sometimes I wonder what goes on in his mind. Pink monkey?
That would actually be quite cool though. Wait! What am I even thinking!

Just then,Alicia came back with our drinks and Zac motioned for Alex to go to another booth.

"So how did you two meet?"
She asked.
Zac instantly looked at me,clearly worried at what my answer would be.
"We met at work,Zac just finished his training and he got a job at the hospital."
He looked relieved at my answer.
"Oh that's so cool! It's like 'romance at work'"
Huh?
Zac and I just looked over at each other confused.
"I was kidding"
Alicia bursts out,unable to control her laughter.
"Oh haha"
We both laughed awkwardly.

—————
The rest of our catch up was very awkward.
When we got home,we decided to watch a movie and just have a chilled night.
I just flicked through my movie collection and chose one out randomly. I put it on and sat down next to Zac.
I don't even know what we're watching,I'm too tired to pay attention.

I could feel my eyes getting heavier and without really thinking about it,I lay my head on Zac's shoulder. I felt his arm go around me before I let sleep take over me.

4:00
I woke up out of what I'm guessing is instinct. My brain is so used to waking up at this time that it does it naturally.
It was only then that I realised I had a pair of arms around me. I looked over to see Zac,sleeping with his head resting on the back of the couch,facing towards me. He looked so cute like that,completely at rest without any pain or worry.
I just want to protect him from all evil. He's been through so much.

He started to move around a bit before his eyes fluttered open and he looked down at me with a soft,sleepy smile. I guess he doesn't sleep a lot either.
I smiled back and we just lay there,still on the couch,just enjoying the feeling of being in each others arms. I think I'm starting to develop feeling for him.

Suddenly,the sound of smashing glass came from the kitchen. We both jumped up and ran to see what it was.

There was a man. Standing there. In my kitchen.
I looked over at Zac to see him looking even more terrified than me.
"Happy to see me kid?"
The man asked.
I looked back over at Zac to see him struggling to get words out.
"D-dad?"