Chapter twenty three

I could really use a drink right now. Something about Nadia feels off. There's something she's not telling me.
Coffee will have to do, I can't drink at work. Shame.
I was just about to get my coffee when I bumped into someone.
"I'm so sorry, I wasn't paying attention and.." I stoped when I realised who it was.

"Hi Aubrey, it's been a long time since I've seen you here, I heard what happened."

"Hi Jason" I said with a sigh, trying so hard not to roll my eyes.

"How are you feeling? It must have been quite traumatic"
Ugh I really don't want to talk to him, especially about this. And he's keeping me from my coffee!

"Yeah it was but I'm okay now thank you and if you don't mind, I need to get going"
I walked passed him and walked as fast as my legs would carry me away from him and to my long awaited coffee.

I made my way back to my room with a coffee in each hand.

I opened the door to see Zac looking out the window with a bored expression on his face. I walked over to him and he turned to look at me as I handed him a coffee.
He muttered a thanks before taking a sip.

He looked deep in thought but I didn't question it and went over to my desk to sort out Nadia's file.
I don't know what it is with her but something isn't right. I mean obviously it isn't, that's why she's here but I feel like there's something she's holding back from me.
I decided to push her out of my thoughts and enjoy my break.
My eyes automatically wondered over to Zac. He was still looking out the window, coffee in his left hand. It seemed as though he was in another world.
I'll have to ask him about it later.

I tried to take my eyes off him but found it impossible. He really did look hot today.
His biceps are huge! How have I not noticed this before? He wasn't this muscular when I found him. He was so skinny it was scary.

I was snapped out of my daydream when someone clicked their fingers in my face.

"Bree you in there?" Someone yelled.
"Huh?"
I looked up to see Alicia smirking at me.
"I asked if you wanted to go out tonight" she said in a duh tone.

"Huh? Oh yeah sure, I'll meet you outside when I finish here" I answered, trying to look like I was busy.

She smiled and walked out.

When I looked back over at Zac, I saw him paying close attention to something outside. I didn't think too much into it until I heard him speak to someone.
"No, Zac without an H" he said to whoever was outside.

Who's he talking to?

I got up and went over to the window. I looked but there was no one there.

"Who are you talking to?" I asked, startling him.

He looked back outside again and asked "what did you say your name was again?" Before looking back and me "Andrew."

Andrew? I hope this doesn't mean what I think it means.

"Zac"
"Hm"
" Have you been taking your pills?"
He looked over at me, shocked.
"Of coarse I have, I would never miss a dose" he answered quickly.

He's lying. I can tell. He won't look me in the eye and he's acting nervous.

"Okay now try the truth"

He looked down and took a deep breath before looking back up at me.

"No" he whispered.

Knew it.

"Zac it's really important that you take your pills." I told him firmly.

He nodded his head slowly and looked down again.

"Why didn't you take them?"
I asked softly.

"I forgot"

He's lying again but I decided to let it go for now.

————————

I got home and parked in the driveway.

I dropped Zac off at home before going out with Alicia so we could have girl time.
Alicia and I went out for a drink and let me just say it was well needed. I honestly don't know what I'd do without Alicia.

I got out of my car and walked up to the front door.
I was about to look for my key when I remembered Zac was home. I knocked on the door and waited for him to answer.

5 minutes went by and there was no answer.

I dug into my bag and felt around for my key. I really need to be more organised.

I finally found it. I put it in the keyhole and turned it. When I heard the click, I pushed the door open and took my key out, putting it back in my bag.

"I'm home" I called out. No answer. That's strange. It's not like Zac to get an early night and I can't hear the shower going.

I went upstairs and saw his bedroom door closed.

Well looks like he really did get an early night.

I was about to walk away when I heard a noise coming from his room.

I decided to go in to check on him. I opened the door and shrieked.
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING!"