Chapter six

I drove around for a bit,trying to find Zac. Why would he just leave? That boy is an absolute mystery. After 25 minutes of searching,I gave up. I can't help someone who doesn't let me help them and I got a job I'm gonna be late for.
I've got to speak to Mr Daniels again today. I now know his reason for the murder (even though it's still no excuse for ending someones life) and I also know he's not the hand,so I no longer have a reason to be afraid of him.
There's still the matter of having him discharged and moved to rehab. I'll have to talk to him about that.

I signed in and got Mr Daniels' file.

"Hello Mr Daniels" I smiled.
"I'd prefer it if you called me Oliver."
"Alright then Oliver,we need to discuss what we're going to do with you now.
"I'm not going to rehab"
Wow that was straight to the point.
"Oliver,you're not a mental patient,you need help with your addiction." I tried to reason with him.
"If I go to rehab,they'll lock me away as soon as I'm clean"
He argued.
"Murder is a serious crime-"
"Don't you think I know that?"
His voice was rising with each word.
"YOU CAN TREAT ME! I DON'T NEED TO GO TO REHAB!!!"
He boomed. So much for not being afraid of him anymore.
"I can't do that,it isn't my job" I spoke calmly.
"So you're going to turn me in? You have to help me! You know why I did it and you know if you help me,I would never do it again, I'm not a danger to the public,you have to help me! I can't go to jail" he was on the verge of tears now.
"I specialise in mental illness, I wouldn't be able to help you as much. I really think it's best for you to go to rehab."
I could tell he didn't like this idea one bit.

"YOU CAN'T SEND ME THERE,BEFORE I TOLD YOU WHAT HAPPENED,YOU TOLD ME YOU WOULDN'T LET ANYTHING I SAY OUT OF THIS ROOM WITHOUT MY CONSENT AND I DON'T GIVE CONSENT SO YOU CAN'T SEND ME THERE!!!"
I was completely taken aback.
"Please just help me and don't send me to rehab,I don't want to get locked away, I feel guilty about what I did already."
He started sobbing now.
"I'll see what I can do" I said just above a whisper and walked out the room. I got him a glass of water to help him calm down a bit and took him to wash his face. I said goodbye to him and went to get a coffee.

Coffee is the most amazing thing right now. Taken my headache right away.
"Hey Aubrey" oh no the headaches back.
"Hi Jason" what a joy it is to see him today (note the sarcasm).
"How's it going with that murderer creep?" He asked.
"It's going well."
"Really? So you got him to talk in the end?"
"Yeah I did"
"Oh congrats! What did he say?"
"I can't discuss my patients with you,you of all people should know that" I rolled my eyes and got up to leave.
"No,Aubrey I'm sorry,don't leave!"
I ignored him and walked out.
He ran after me and caught up pretty quickly.
"Look I'm sorry,I shouldn't have said that but I really like you,will you please go out with me tonight?"
He's not going to stop until I agree to go out with him.
"Alright fine" I sighed.
"Thank you thank you thank you you won't regret it i promise!"
"I'll be the judge of that" I muttered.

—————
I waited outside the restaurant Jason told me to meet him at until I saw his car pull up and he had a huge grin on his face.
"You look gorgeous" he complimented,kissing my cheek.
"Thank you,shall we go in?"
"Let's" he chuckled.

To my surprise,the night actually didn't go as bad as I thought it would. We were now walking around the park,talking and laughing.
"I gotta admit,I had fun tonight" I smiled.
His face seemed to light up and he looked directly at me.
"I did too"
He leaned towards me and I leaned in too.
We suddenly heard rustling in the bush and jumped apart.
"What was that?" I nearly screamed,alarmed.
"It was probably just a cat" he chuckled,making me laugh.
"Well that completely ruined the moment" I giggled.
"Yeah,lets just walk around a bit more".

We carried on walking for a bit until I saw something out of the corner of my eye.
Is that?
It can't be.
"Zac?"
I ran over to him and got on my knees in front of him. Jason followed me and stood next to me.
"Zac look at me" I demanded.
He looked up at me with swollen,bloodshot eyes.
"Get up,you're coming with me"
He did as I said and stumbled a bit. Jason helped me get him to my car.
We helped him into the passenger seat and closed the door.
"I'm really sorry about this but I can't leave him there."
I felt so bad.
"Who is he?"Jason asked
"I-it's a long story."
I gave him a hug and walked round to the drivers side.

The ride was silent. I stopped at a red light and looked over at him.
He was just staring at his hands.
When I looked back up,the light was green.

I parked up outside my house and got out of the car. Zac didn't move so I went round to the passenger side and opened the door for him.
"Come on let's get you inside."
I grabbed his hand and led him out the car to the front door. I unlocked the door and pulled him inside. I locked my car and shut the front door.
"Have you eaten?" He just looked at me and I raised my eyebrows,waiting for and answer.
He sighed and shook his head.
"This is so unhealthy" I muttered.
"Alright,why don't you go in the shower and I'll make you something to eat?"
Now it was his turn to raise his eyebrows.
"You're covered in dirt! Come on" I dragged him to the bathroom and got him a towel. I then remembered I had my brothers clothes from when he was here last. I went to the cupboard and took out clean clothes for him. There's no way I'm letting him wear the filthy rags he calls clothes. I gave him the clothes and shower gel. I stood outside until I heard the water running so I knew he did what I asked.
I went downstairs and made chicken pasta. It didn't take long,about 20 minutes. Just as I was putting it on a plate,I heard footsteps coming down the stairs.
I looked up and saw Zac looking like a whole new person.
"Much better,come eat and then you can go to bed."
"I'm not hungry"
Wow he actually spoke! I was starting to forget he wasn't mute.
"I don't care,you have to eat,if you don't,I'll just force it down you"
He looked scared.
"I'm joking,but I will find a way to get you to eat,don't try me"
He sat down and I put the plate in front of him. "Eat what you can,I'm just gonna get ready for bed"
He gave me a small smile and I turned to go up the stairs.
I put on a pair of comfortable pyjamas and brushed my teeth.
The bed in the guest room was still set from last night so I just neatened the sheets and went downstairs. He was still sitting there with his head resting on his hand and pushing the food around with his fork. He's eaten about a third of it so at least he listened to me.
"Do you think you could try and have a bit more?"
He shook his head quickly to say no.
I sighed and took the plate to wash it up. I got him a glass of water because who knows the last time he had something to drink.

It was now 11:30 and I was exhausted.
Zac was about to go into the guest room when I stopped him.
"Please stay this time,I can help you"
"No one can help me"
And with that,he into the room and closed the door,leaving me with my thoughts.