Chapter twenty two

Aubrey's p.o.v:

I woke up early, feeling ready for the day. I haven't slept so well in a long time. I used to be able to sleep really well but then I saw the hand and I just couldn't sleep at night. Even after the mystery of the hand was solved, my body wasn't use to sleeping the full night so last night was the first good sleep I've had for months.

I rubbed my eyes and sat up. Zac was still sleeping so I left the room, not wanting to wake him up. I went to the kitchen and made breakfast for both of us.

I've got work again today. It was really stressful yesterday, what with a missing patient and all. Why would he escape? He was doing so well. Maybe something happened while I was gone. I need to get to the bottom of this.

My thoughts were interrupted when Zac walked into the room, rubbing his eyes.
"Morning" I smiled cheerfully.
"Hey" he mumbled.

I gave him his plate and he sat down to eat.
Yesterday was very difficult for him. He had to tell the police about his father and everything that has happened. It's a very touchy subject and he doesn't like talking about it. When I got home yesterday, I didn't expect to see the police there. Zac was having a panic attack and they weren't sure how to calm him down. I asked them to leave the room and I helped him calm down.

"What happened at the hospital yesterday?" Zac asked, taking me by surprise.

"Sorry?" I raised an eyebrow at him to show my confusion.

"You looked stressed yesterday, what happened"

Wow I'm surprised he even noticed what with everything going on last night.

"It's nothing don't worry" I reassured him.

"Well it's clearly something, what happened?" He pushed.

"A patient escaped but it's fine, they'll find him" I said the last part more to myself.

"Which patient?"

"I can't say"

"Which patient?" He tried again

"It doesn't matter!"

"Which patient?!"

"Mr Daniels" I finally said, giving up.

He went silent after that. He looked deep in thought, as if he were trying to work something out.

We both finished our breakfast so I took the plates and put them in the sink to wash later.

I went upstairs to my room and got dressed. I went for the same professional look as I did every work day and put my hair in a neat, low bun.
I put on my heeled boots and went downstairs.

Zac was still in the same position he was when I left him.

"Is everything alright?" I asked, startling him. He jumped and looked towards me with a slight smile.

"Yeah I'm fine" he answered with a hint of uncertainty. I decided to ignore it for now or I'd be late for work.

"I'm leaving now, I'll see you later" I said when I got to the front door.
He said okay but I could see in his eyes be was begging me to stay.

Whatever it is that's bothering him must be bad and I can't leave him on his own if it is.

"Go get dressed, you're coming with me."

———————

When he came back downstairs my jaw almost dropped. He dressed very casual but he looked amazing.
I opened the door and lead him to my car.

The drive was very difficult. At every traffic light, I had to try so hard to keep my eyes off him. One thing I noticed was his arm muscles. Has he been working out? When I first met him he was all skin and bones.
"Have you been exercising?"
The question slipped out before I could stop it. From the corner of my eye I could see him smirking and he was about to say something when I turned the radio on.
"Oh I love this song!" I exclaimed. I didn't actually know the song that was playing but I just wanted to change the conversation to avoid awkwardness. My face was turning every shade of red and I just hoped he hadn't noticed. However, from the smirk on his face when we got out of the car, I could tell he had.

I signed in and we went to my room. I grabbed the first file I need and left Zac in my room, playing on my phone.

My first patient today is a new one. Her name is Nadia Banks, she's 22 and she has bipolar.

On the way to her room, flashbacks of Oliver Daniels came to my mind. Why would he escape? I'm not worried he's going to hurts someone, I know from all the sessions I've had with him that he's not dangerous, I'm worried he's going to hurt himself. He was doing so well. His withdrawal symptoms improved and he was a completely different person to the man I first met. I hope they find him.

I reached her room and unlocked the door. Well, here goes.

"Hi I'm Dr Aubrey Summers and I'll be your psychiatrist"