Chapter 31 // Darkness

I don't know what's up with the spacing on my chapters. For some reason it's messed up on my devices.. please tell me if it's messed up on yours too! Without further ado,
by popular demand...

Daniel Walker's Point of View

I didn't know what to feel.

What are you supposed to do when somebody you care so much about is in peril? You help them of course.

However under the circumstances, there was nothing I could do. There was nothing anybody on this planet could do and that is what made me feel so scared; so worried that she might not wake up, that she'll remain asleep forever.

What if she dies and I never got to tell her how big an effect she had on me and how she gave me a reason to care about people again? I was cold-hearted before she came into my life and gave me a reason to be a kind soul. She may not even know the effect she has on me.

That's why it is so painful to watch her lay almost lifeless in the hospital bed each and every day. However bad I was feeling, I'm sure Anthony was worse. On top of worry and depression, he also had guilt. It was indirectly his fault that this happened and I don't think I'll ever forgive him. Alexis's parents don't blame him at all but that doesn't mean they're right. I certainly blame him. In fact, I vowed to never speak to him again the other day. That's how much this tore me apart. I didn't want to be best friends with my best friend anymore.

I slid my leather jacket on to my back with little enthusiasm and grabbed my car keys. Ever since the accident, Anthony had been skipping school and the one day he did go, he arrived late because I refused to give him a ride which I didn't feel the slightest bit guilty about.
I drove as carefully as possible to school because I was so scared of hitting somebody. The accident took it's toll on me.

I blasted the Black Eyed Peas all the way to school and when I got out of the car, multiple people were staring at me because that's just how loud my music was. In all honesty, I turned the volume up loud because it was an attempt at pushing out the sadness in me. I guess it's hard to explain my logic, but I was trying to fill the space around me with music so that there was no room for emotion because I was so tired of feeling worried and upset.

I slammed the door to my car and put a deadly look on my face which seemed to be intimidating everyone lately to the max. People rarely approached me because I shot everyone mean looks.
I had art first period so I sauntered into class and took my usual seat in the far corner of the room waiting for the rest of the class to fill out. 

I sucked at art but you're required to take some type of arts class to graduate (theater, drama, chorus, or art) and I'm not the singing type so here I am.

Ms. Yeller, our young brunette teacher, walked into the class wearing a black smock and pushing a cart full of paints. 

"Class get your smocks on. Today, you will be painting your emotions. Paint whatever you feel right now, whether it's happy, bored, tired, sad, or any of those emotions. I have a whole cart full of paint for you to...".

I tuned out the rest of Ms. Yeller's speech because I was too busy thinking about what I was going to paint about. I already knew what emotions to paint; anger, depression, despondency, remorse.
Ten minutes later when she had finished talking about all the techniques, I walked up to the front of the room and selected my colors.

I sat back down at my stool and concentrated hard on my painting. This was probably the only project I would ever put effort into in art class.

I grabbed the largest paint brush I could fine and began aggressively stroking the canvas with my brush, covering it in messy red paint. I didn't color the whole canvas, but rather put a large blob of red in the center taking up most of the painting. I then took my fingers and dipped it in the black paint, sketching the outline of a girl's sleeping face (I wonder who that is...). I then took more black paint and sort of just rubbed my fingers in any space that was lacking in detail.