Chapter 18

Eira awoke the next morning before everyone else, her pillow was went from the ice that melted off her eyes, she could now see the room she was in more clearly. Another person sat up groggily not long after Eira, "You wake up early" the man said as he stood out of bed and stretched. Eira recognized his voice, it was Sar, from the other day. She stared fixated on his features, his eyes were a deep yellow, which made sense for his powers, and his skin was smooth with little to no blemishes. "Are you ok?" He asked, feeling a bit self conscious because of her staring. "Oh ... sorry. I couldn't see you well yesterday, this is my first time actually seeing your face" she apologized, brushing her hair with her fingers. He slowly walked over to her bed and sat across from her once again. As soon as Sar sat down, the cold air that emitted from Eira hit his skin and caused an immediate reaction from him. "Oh my! Do you always make the air around you feel like a tundra?" He asked jokingly, Eria rolled her eyes, "Can't control it. Besides, I can't feel it" she responded monotonously. Sar reached his hand over and touched Eira's, "Well no wonder, you're freezing!" He exclaimed. Eira became flustered, she hadn't felt true human warmth against her skin in so long, she didn't know how to react. She pulled her hand away slightly, "Well,.. that's uh .. that's just how I am" she said, trying to cut the awkwardness with a joke. Sar smiled a little, "Its alright. We've all been alone for so long, no one really knows how to act around other people anymore" he reassured her. Eira smiled back at him, she felt a weird warm feeling in her chest, she didn't know what it was, but she liked it. A few days went by, the kids got taken to many complicated trials. The Observers were no longer seeking information on their strength, they already knew these were some of the best. They were now testing other traits such as agility, problem solving tactics, and much more. One trial they had to take part in was a hunting scene. The children were brought to a large forest during the night with hundreds of guards and many Observers. The children had to hide and protect themselves in the darkness while the guards hunted them. Eira was hiding in a tree, when someone grabbed her from behind, she freaked out and was ready to attack when a familiar voice spoke in her ear, "Hey! It's me! It's me! Shh". It was Sar. Eira huffed, "Sar! What are you doing!? Are you trying to get froze!" She whisper yelled. Sar shook his head, still holding onto her, "You make the air around you cold. Even if you're not visible, they'll still find you fairly quickly. I'm trying to warm you up" he explained. Because of him, the two of them were one of the last people found, meaning that they're in a higher consideration for the final project. Whenever they could, the two of them would work together for the trials, since they made such a good team they were hoping they would both make it to the end, whatever that would be. Eira and Sar grew very close to one another, building a strong and, seemingly, unbreakable friendship.