Chapter 22

The sound of high pitched beeping from a heart monitor filled Eira's ears as she slowly began to regain consciousness. Bright white lights above her bed blinded her for a few seconds as she tried to open her eyes. Eira looked around the room as best as she could, it was a bright white room, with a medicine cabinet in the corner, a brown desk, and a few cupboards on the walls. She was in a small bed with a light blue blanket and white headboard, she was attached to an IV and a heart monitor. Eira slowly reached her hands up and touched her neck, she felt some bandages wrapped snuggly around, keeping her injuries clean and stopping any bleeding that was still occurring. "Damn it ... I lived .." she muttered quietly to herself in a hoarse voice, thinking she was alone. Russell's small hand reached forward and gripped tightly onto Eira's hand, pulling it away from her bandaging, "Don't touch." He stated simply. Eira glanced up at the younger boy, "Russell, .. what happened?" She asked, shifting in her bed. Russell starred blankly back down at Eira, She rolled her eyes, "Oh yeah, that's right. You don't talk" she said, rubbing her eyes. A doctor walked into the room, we wore a white coat similar to the ones the Observers wore and had short brown hair. "Good, you're awake!" He exclaimed as he walked over and updated her progress chart. Eira sat up in her bed, "Doc .. what happened?" She asked, hoping for an answer this time. The doctor looked up from the paper, "You sustained a pretty nasty injury to your throat area because of that deviant kid. So, you're going to be in here for a while recovering. The Dark lord ordered Russell to keep an eye on you. We don't want any accidents to occur" the doctor explained, placing the progress report into a grey folder on the desk. "He wasn't a deviant... he was ill.." Eira corrected, feeling a wave of sadness wash over her. The Doctor shrugged, "Well that's not what Nerugo was saying. Now, let's start by taking your temperature" He said as he grabbed a thermometer. The doctor placed it in Eiras mouth and instantly the red liquid inside moved all the way down to the bottom of the glass tube. The doctor pulled out the thermometer and examined it thoroughly, "Welp .. we might need a different one to get a more accurate reading" he explained as he pulled out a different style thermometer. The doctor placed a white, hand held object with a small screen against Eiras forehead, after a few seconds the screen on the other side of the thermometer projected the temperature. The doctor began to visibly shake as he viewed the number being shown to him. Eira raised a brow, "Is everything alright, doctor?" She asked, the doctor snapped his head up to face Eira and Russell, "O-oh yes, yes! All good, don't you worry, I just need to write this down on your paper!" He said reassuringly with a smile. However, as he turned and walked towards the desk, his face fell to one of horror once again. He slowly opened the grey folder and clicked his pen to begin writing, "Internal body temperature.... -25°C..."