Chapter 5: Teamwork

"As students of Beacon, you have been assigned a partner for your time here. The two of you will share classes, projects, assignments, and free periods. If you're dedicated and lucky, you may even share a friendship." Professor Ozpin told the group of students before him. "Now, I will be handing you off to individual teachers for the day, each of them having an activity for you and your partner as a form of bonding! Have fun, be safe, please don't start another fire. I've already had to stop a few."

"Who causes fires on the second day..?" Weiss muttered by Ruby's side.

Ozpin, who's hearing must be impeccable, chuckled to himself as he walked off the stage, leaning towards us as he did so. "The big fires were yesterday, Miss Schnee."

Ruby snickered slightly before Ozpin looked to her.

"I believe the largest one was caused by a Miss Xiao Long, if I am not mistaken." He told her with a smile, Ruby smacking a palm against her face.

"I really shouldn't be surprised..."

———

"Miss Rose and Schnee!" Professor Port chimed, a big smile covered completely by his mustache. "Are you two able to demonstrate to the group a little exercise for me?"

"Of course, sir. What did you have in mind?" Weiss replied before Ruby could protest.

The girl in red frowned at her partner before smiling over at the instructor. "Yeah, we can help out."

"Good! I'd like the pair of you to demonstrate spell catching to the group." Port explained to the pair. "I want one of you to cast a shine spell and pass it to the other. Repeat the action with varying levels of complexity till you can catch on instinct alone."

Weiss scoffed before summoning a ball of light from her wand and pointing to her partner. "Are you ready?"

"Ready as a Beowolf waiting for a steak breakfast!" Ruby called with her wand at the ready.

The Schnee narrowed her eyes but shrugged off the goofy act of her partner and threw the orb across the dueling room, Ruby easily catching it and throwing it back with a flick of her wrist.

The ball of light flew at high speeds, smacking against the small woman's chest and sending her to the ground as it exploded.

Port's eyebrows tightened as he looked at the scene. "Perhaps that was a little quick, Miss Rose. Are you alright, Miss Schnee?"

After a short coughing fit and help from Ruby to get back up, the girl gave a thumbs up to her instructor.

"I was... Demonstrating how easy it is... To be caught off guard..." She coughed. "Even a harmless spell can... Pack a punch..."

A massive grin lifted the professor's mustache. "Wonderful! What a brilliant idea to teach your peers!"

"Are you really ok..?" Ruby asked in a whisper so only Weiss could hear. "We can step back for a moment if you~"

"Thank you, Ruby, but..." Weiss though for a moment, clearly struggling not to say something nasty. "But I think I'll be fine if we just go slowly."

The girl in red nodded, brushing the dust off her partner before returning to her position and summoning an orb of light.

"Ready." Weiss called, the ball instantly heading towards her. She held her wand firm, catching it with effort before sending it back towards the red haired girl.

Weiss watched, expecting Ruby to catch it and send it back towards her. Rather than making things slow and simple, she easily struck the light and sent it into Weiss' wand in one blow.

After a back and forth of this, the rest of the group attempting to keep up with them, the pair was beginning to find a good rhythm between Weiss' calculated strikes and Ruby's instant response.

Port walked through the room with a grin on his cheeks, checking each pair until he sent them all to the next professor.

———

Ruby watched as the woman walked over the group, literally stepping on air so she could find somewhere the whole room could see her clearly at.

"She's magnificent..." Weiss mumbled, watching as she settled in the air at the corner of the room. "So elegant and so powerful."

"Yeah, she really is." Ruby agreed, blushing slightly as she looked away.

"You're all extremely talented for your ages." Professor Goodwitch told the students, her eyes focused as she gazed across the room. "You're here so that you'll have skill though. Talent will only get you so far before you're stopped by the skilled."

She looked over each and ever student before pointing towards a large brunette boy, a confident smirk on his face.

"Cardin Winchester." Miss Goodwitch called. "You specialize in combat magic, yes?"

"Yes, ma'am." He replied with a proud look in his eye. "I was the best duelist in my school."

"Hit me."

There was a moment of silence in the room before Cardin raised his hand in confusion. "Umm... When you say that, what exactly do you mean?"

"Hit me with the strongest spell you know." She told the boy, her arms crossed. "Don't worry, you won't hurt me."

The blond seemed concerned for a moment, but it was just that. A singular moment. If someone could see in his head, they'd realize he thought he was going to show up one of the professors of Beacon Academy.

Cardin pulled out his wand and raised towards her, stance firm as he shouted out a variety of magic words and his eye turned a flaming red.

"Fireba~!!"

Just as flames began to burst from his wand, he froze, the fire stuck in place, trapped in time as Goodwitch watched him with glowing purple eyes.

"The difference between talent and skill, ladies and gentlemen." She explained, raising a finger towards him and silently casting an extinguishing spell over the boy and putting out his fire before releasing him. "Talent will always be nullified if your opponent has more training and experience behind every strike."