Chapter 27: Together Again

Taiyang squeezed each of his daughters close as they stepped into the house, not waiting for a single moment for them to speak.

"I know I said I'd be ok with you going off to school... But I've really miss you two." He whispered, tightening his hug.

Yang smiles, squeezing back before putting a quick kiss on her dad's cheek. "We've miss you too, dad."

"You're both big sentimental dorks." Ruby laughed, drowned in her families arms.

The tall blond man pulled back and smiled brightly. "I'm never letting you two out of my sight again. You're saying here forever."

"He said, not realizing how gay his daughter was and how much he doesn't need to see." Yang muttered just loud enough for Ruby to catch before they both fell over laughing.

Tai stood in befuddled confusion for a moment before he sighed and stepped towards the kitchen with a smile. "It's good to see you two so close. I was worried things wouldn't really work out alright going off to school and... Well, Summer passing..."

There was a morbid silence in the home as he stepped just out of sight to finish cleaning up while dinner baked. It was as if waiting for the silence to be broken by a brunette in white.

"Well, we've been doing alright." Yang said with a somber smile, pulling her sister close as they followed Tai. "Been working on making friends to help fill in the gaps."

The man looked over at his daughters and smiled. "That's good to hear. It means a lot to see you're doing well." He replied, his smile slowly forming into a grin. "Unfortunately you mentioned meeting people, so now you've gotta tell me everything."

"Ugh, you're the worst." Ruby laughed, pushing his shoulder lightly. "Well Blake is a catgirl~"

"Offensive." Yang cut in.

"And Jaune is homeless, and Pyrrha is rich, and Sun is completely oblivious to the fact that I'm not into him~"

"And you were completely oblivious to the fact that he was into you until Weiss said something."

Ruby nodded in acknowledgment. "Right. And Weiss is my roommate."

Tai narrowed his eyes a subtle confusion. "Ok... I don't know any of those people, so let's start from the top with 'Boy that likes me'."

"Blond surfer dude from Vacuo, he's in half of Ruby's classes." Yang replied, pulling up a chair from the dinning room when she saw that this was going to take awhile. "He's pretty chill. Hasn't bugged Ruby about being into her."

"Then how'd you figure out he liked you?" Their dad asked, already knowing that there was a catch.

Ruby chuckled slightly. "Well, apparently he was super obvious and also kinda rude to anyone else that was into me."

"Wait, there are others?!"

"What can we say, Ruby's adorable." Yang told him, cocking a brow as her arms crossed. "Who wouldn't want to date her?"

"But she's my little girl..." Tai mumbled, seeming slightly defeated and looking down slightly. "Fine. Moving on, what was that I heard about Ruby being offensive to a faunus girl?"

"I was joking..."

"She was talking about my roommate, Blake." Yang replied, laughing quietly at her sister's pouting face. "She happens to be a cat faunus, but more importantly, we're dating, so please don't say anything like that about her."

"Wait..." Tai furrowed his brow, staring at Yang like something was missing. "How long have you been dating someone?"

The blonde smirked as she looked up. "No comment on the fact that Blake's a girl?"

"Of course not, I've met you before. How long have I been the dark here?" He asked again, pushing more.

Yang frowned slightly, arms still crossed. "Really? You just kinda assumed? I'd you really wanna know, we've been dating since before Beacon."

"Glad that you're telling me things... Ruby doesn't keep secrets like that!" Tai argued, making Yang smirk towards the shorter girl with unnaturally red hair.

"No idea what you're looking at me for..." Ruby muttered, avoiding eye contact with either of her family members.

Tai stood in silence with his mouth stuck open. "Both my daughters are hiding their relationships from me..."

"I'm not dating anyone!" The girl pushed in, crossing her arms. "We haven't put a label on it yet..."

"Come on, now you've gotta talk to me about him." Her father begged. "Is it that Jaune boy you mentioned?"

Yang, barely holding in her laughter, snickered lightly as she spoke. "Yeah, is it that Jaune boy?"

Ruby looked down, shoving her hands in her pockets. "No, it's not, I just-" She held off, unsure of her footing in the conversation. "I wasn't ready to talk about this..."

The girl with red hair turned and made her way off toward her room, disappeared into the hallway, immediately followed by the closing of a door.

Tai felt his heart sink slowly as his daughter had left. Yang knew instantly that she had made a mistake.