Chapter 26: Hard Truths

"I'm glad you decided to come home this week, I didn't think you were going to after our last conversation about it." Ruby laughed, smiling to her sister as they made their way through the bus station.

"Being blunt, I didn't realize how much I'd miss home." Yang mumbled, rubbing her arm. "I mean, I love dad, but he's well... dad. I figured calling would be fine, but I'd really like to see him and talk in person."

The girl with red hair took her sister's hand and squeezed. "That's fine. I was hoping to spent time with both of you this week."

The taller girl grinned. "You better spend time with me and dad! You've been so focused on your new girl toy that we haven't hung out at all yet."

"Weiss isn't my girl toy, we just don't have a label just yet." Ruby stuttered in embarrassment. She had started their relationship so confidently, but now that they were reaching this serious point it was becoming increasingly clear to her that she had no idea what to do next. "But you're right, we haven't hung out. I promise that I'll make more time for you when we get back to Beacon."

"You better, Blake's going crazy having me around all the time, Pyrrha refuses to talk about Jaune with me, and Jaune is kinda boring once you get past his interesting story." Yang commented, hanging an arm over Ruby's shoulder. "I need someone who can keep up with me a little better."

"Or maybe more than three friends." Ruby replied with a jab to the ribs. "Hang out with that cute super straight ginger, make Blake a little jealous."

The blonde snorted out her breath, almost tipping as she laughed. "Oh no, she doesn't get jealous, she knows who's in control."

"I don't need to know the details." Her sister chuckled as they boarded the bus. "Ok, I'm gonna take a short nap. Don't let me sleep the whole ride."

Yang rolled her eyes. "I'd never let the opportunity to annoy you in your sleep go to waste, I won't let you stay under long."

Ruby pushed her sister before putting in a pair of earbuds and closing her eyes as she sunk into her seat.

The taller girl smiled at her sister as her thoughts began to wander. I'm glad that she's decided to spend time with dad and me. It's been... It's been a long time since we have been as close and I'd like us to be.

She took her seat next to Ruby and let her mind sink into memory, stuck to the past for just a while as the bus began it's long ride out.

---

"Ruby! I found a bunch of turtles by the pond! Get over here and play with me with them!" The young blonde shouted across the yard to her sister.

A small brunette with hair down to her shoulders took a step forward before stopping and turning to the woman standing nearby.

The woman smile, her dark hair contrasting the light sliver gray of her gaze. "I'm sorry Yang, we're just really close to finishing up here. I'm sure you two will be able later."

Yang looked down slowly as she thought. This was commonplace within the house. "Later when..?"

"We just have to perfect this one spell and she'll have all the time in the world." Summer told her daughter, a brilliant and gentle smile over her lips. "Ruby's working on a size spell!" She added with excitement.

"I... I don't get it..." Yang muttered, watching her sister and mom wistfully. "How does that work?"

The brunette laughed light, happily and without malice. "Don't worry about it too much. It's a pretty complex spell and you haven't learned the base spells for it."

Ruby looked up at her mom, then back to her sister, an expression of longing crossing her face for just a moment before she got back to her spellcasting position.

The hurt in her eyes shown bright as Yang watched her mother and sister go back to their practice, back to the magic that united them.

---

"Rubes, I'm gonna hang out in the dueling room with some friends after class. You wanna tag along?"

The young teen shook her head, her long hair reaching down her back as she held a large bunch of spell books in hand. "I'm sorry, Yang! Mom gave me some extra study material to help me out, so I wanna go over this to keep up."

"Keep up on what..? You're top of your class and mine." The blonde replied, sticking her hands in her pockets. "You can't take a break for a bit to hang out with friends?"

"I don't really know your friends, sooo... My studies are more important in that case." Ruby chuckled nervously.

Yang didn't respond, her heart sinking lower as she stood and watched her sister walk off, books in hand.

---

Three months before Summer Rose died, her youngest was sat down at the desk she shared with her sister. Ruby was working on advanced equations for theoretical spells, a class that her mother had made herself and had planned to teach once she had retired from enchanting. She wanted to share what she had learned with others and make the world better while she did it.

Yang was sitting on the bed nearby, two marbles of fire rotating in her palm. She knew by now that she wasn't going to be able to convince her sister to take a break, it just wouldn't happen. Summer told them a few weeks back that she was ready to stay home for an extended time and Ruby was putting everything she had into getting ready to impress her.

The blonde took a deep breath, letting it out as she turned to walk away, leaving Ruby with her earphones in place.

---

When Yang opened her eyes, what she saw was the gentle orange light of the middle lane in bus. The window was dark and it didn't take much to realize that her sisters snoring had woken her from her dreams.

The lightest smile pushed to her lips as she watched Ruby sleep. She'd been waiting for the chance to be a real family for so long that she's forgotten she needed this. And now it was finally within reach.

"I love you, Rubes. Sleep well, baby sis."