VII. A Lie

"You left without saying goodbye last night," Jungkook said ruefully.

"I didn't want to wake you," Bo said.

"Why didn't you spend the night?" Jungkook asked, taking her hand.

She pulled it out of his reach. "Don't, Jungkook. Don't pretend like nothing happened. I heard every word you said last night as you hate-fucked me."

"Hate-fucked you?  How could you even think that I hate you?  After everything we've been through?  Bali, your break up with Jin, losing the baby?  Why would I go through every one of those horrible moments if I didn't love you?" Jungkook asked.

"That's exactly why I can't be with you. How could you love someone like me?  Someone who has put you through so much and still loves another man?  I can't do this anymore.  The guilt is killing me."  Tears ran down her face as she allowed Jungkook to hold her.

Suddenly her cell phone rang. She fumbled with the belongings in her purse before retrieving it.

"Hello?  Dad?  It must be late in New York. Is everything okay?"  Her face turned white as she listened. "Okay. Okay.  Bye."  She hung up automatically, as if her body was only a shell.

"What's wrong?" Jungkook asked.

"It's my mom," Bo said slowly.  "She was in a car crash. She died." 

***

"Bo, what are you doing?"  Jungkook asked in alarm.

"I have to go. I need to return to New York right away. My family needs me," Bo said.

"Wait, slow down. I'll come with you!"  Jungkook said.

"Why do you always make promises you can't keep?  You know it is impossible for you to leave right now," Bo said in exasperation.

"You need me. That's a long flight and you're obviously upset," Jungkook pointed out.

"No, I need to go now!  I need to take care of my dad. And the funeral. There's just so much I need to do. I have to get out of here," she ranted incoherently.

"Then let me help you. I can help!"

"No you can't!  You're not my boyfriend so stop acting like one!  You're not my anything!" Bo yelled.

Jungkook looked shocked by her words, but then he stubbornly shook his head. "I know you don't mean that. You're just upset right now."

"I mean it. I mean every word. Just like you meant every word last night. Don't pretend you didn't," Bo said.

"You're still mad at me about last night. That's why you're doing this to me," Jungkook said, a single tear rolling down his cheek.

"This isn't about you," Bo said quietly. "So stay out of it and leave me alone."

***

SEVERAL MONTHS LATER

JHope and RM looked around the long military dormitory that Jin now called home. It was filled with bunk beds, random hanging laundry, and dotted with the same black boots here and there.

"I can't believe you volunteered to live like this," JHope said, scrunching his nose.

Jin shrugged. "We all have to go through it some time. You'll have your turn soon enough in the military.  You get used to it after awhile."

"I guess this isn't any worse than our first dorm. Remember that?  Seven of us smelly guys and a manager stuck in one room!  Now, those were the days of comraderie," RM chimed in.