♢Kid!MC x Nadia - Trinkets♢

The sun was high in the blue Vesuvian sky. The towns square was as lively as ever with all sorts of people imaginable.

Musicians and street performers were scattered across the square, wowing people with dazzling displays of magic or music or artistry. Families strolled about, hands full of their afternoon shopping, the children tugging on the sleeves of their care-givers, begging to stop and watch the shows.

The benches were full of any passerby who wished to take a moment's rest to admire the flower beds and the luxurious fountains. 

No one took notice of a carriage parked on the edge of the square; there were dozens milling about.

No one also noticed the tall and elegant woman who stepped out of it, her long violet hair tucked under a soft silky headscarf, adorned with feathers.

The woman was in awe of the beauty around her. It was nothing noble, nothing fancy, nothing expensive or posh. In fact, it was entirely the opposite. It was just your average town square, with run-of-the-mill citizens and their daily activities. And yet, to her, it was still so stunning.

It was the small and mundane things of her city-state that the Countess took pride in. It was a refreshing change from her life of grandiose castles and perfectly royal grounds. The people of Vesuvia were so real, so free, so alive.

As the Countess revelled in the beauty of the people and their street performances, she failed to notice the character who had snuck into her carriage and was lifting a small golden trinket from the passenger seat.

As the small figure dressed in clothes far too large for them slid out of the cart, they were apprehended by the two guards who were patrolling the area. 

The child went pale. They were so fear-stricken that they began to quiver where they stood.

Silently, a guard approached the Countess and informed her of the attempted theft.

Nadia, wanting to understand the full story of the event, made her way to the carriage where the would-be thief stood, their arms held securely by the other guard.

"Must you hold them so tightly?" Nadia asked the guard. "They are only a child. Please, be gentle,"

The guard loosened their grip on the child's arms, letting the child relax ever so slightly.

"Now," the Countess said, looking down at the child, "What is your name?"

"M-MC." They stammered, avoiding the piercing gaze of the city-state's ruler.

"MC. What a charming name," Nadia said. "And how old are you?"

"11," they said.

"Now MC, were you attempting to wrongfully take someone else's possessions?" 

MC flushed, embarrassed. They nodded.

"Did your parents never teach you that theft was wrong? Do they not provide you with enough that you felt the need to steal from others?"

MC shook their head. "I don't have parents. They never taught me anything. I'm all I've got," 

Shock crossed Nadia's face, clearly taken aback by the child's statement.

"No parents?" She repeated. "Well then, it's no wonder you're stealing if you're fending for yourself." Nadia waved the guard off of MC, dismissing them. "You are coming right back to the palace with me. I will see to it that you are well fed and well clothed,"

It was MC's turn to stare in shock.

Nadia simply stepped into her carriage and patted the cushion next to her.