DOPE BOY

Chapter 4

© copyright
All rights reserved

Maya,
Miami, Florida
10:35 p.m.
Nov.7

*knock knock*

Maya looked over at her clock to see what time it was. It read 10:30 and she was very confused at who was at the door. The person continued to knock.

Maya grabbed the skillet that was sitting on the counter. She slowly walked over to the door. "Who is it?" She said.

"Yo it's me—your brother Craig, open up man" he said. Maya let out a breath of relieve. She unlocked the door and and looked at her brother. "Negro, couldn't you call before popping up? Damn you know ion like that shit" she said walking away from the door.

"Well damn, hello to you too" he said closing the door behind him. She sucked her teeth. "Some smell good as hell in here, what you whippin'?" He asked walking towards the stove.

"Mama's all famous curried rice and shrimp—you want some?" She asked looking at him.

"Hell Yeah" he said grabbing a plate. "Oh well too bad you can't have nan" she replied. Craig sucked his teeth while looking at her. He pursed his lips together.

"Chill out man damn, I was joking, hungry ass" she said handing him a plate.

"Yeah Ight. Anyways, I heard you back at juju's" he said looking up at her as he stuffed his face.

She looked at him. "I mean shit yeah" she said shrugging. She wasn't about to sit up here and lie to him about it. He already knew so what was the point. "Man why you can't just get a regular job, like a normal person?" He asked.

"Because I make money faster this way" she retorted. "You always end up in da pen or da graveyard faster too" he snapped back.

"Man why you always sweatin' me?" She asked getting a little upset. "That shit got us by didn't it? When mama was strung out on all those drugs and our daddy was beating on us, it got us food and shit so we would stay alive so don't sweat me no more!" She told him.

He eyed her. She was right and he couldn't deny it. But he wasn't about to let it be her life.  "Yeah you right, it got us by, but do you see the irony? Your selling drugs maya. DRUGS! The same damn thing that got our mama, the woman that gave birth to us, out in the streets doing God know what. You hanging with the same motherfuckers that's selling her shit! But you don't give a fuck— you a selfish motherfucker and I hope you know that" he said pointing at her.

"Yeah man whatever. If you really feel that way you could step" she said walking to the door.

"Oh so now you kicking me out?" He asked. He felt a little bit hurt about the whole situation. "Yeah I am, so step." She said sternly.

He sized her up. He headed to the door. "Look, just be careful ok? The last thing I need is my baby sister hurt or locked up. I lost everybody to the streets , I can't loose you too" he said sincerely.

Maya felt horrible for the things she was doing. But she needed money and the rep that she had wasn't gone get her no normal job.

"Craig, I know. Look you know my rep and you know just as well as I do that I can't get no normal job" she reminded. He looked at her. "You could come work at the firm I work. I'll put in a good word for you" he said.

She looked at him. "Look can you at least think about it?" He begged. She sighed and nodded. A big smile plastered over his face. "Ight Ight." He said.

Kimesisah,
Miami, Florida
11:04 p.m.
Nov.7

"Yeah girl that's wassup" kc said on the other line. Kim laughed as she tucked her hair behind her ears. "So you gonna take him back?" She asked as she took sip of her mango smoothie.

"Girl hell nawl, I'm tired of his shit" she said. "That's what you said the last 10 times" Kim chuckled rolling her eyes.

"Yeah but this time I'm serious. That shit is too toxic girl— plus I'm talking to someone" she said.

There was a pause. "Girl who you talk to?" Kim asked looking at her friend who was smiling ear to ear.

"This boy named Darius" she said. Kim smiled. "How y'all met?" Kim asked. "At the get together at Jameson them house... Kearison had introduced me to him." She said.

"Oh ok, well I hope he treat you right" Kim said smiling. "Yeah me too cause these niggas play all damn day" she said.

Kim laughed shaking her head. "Girl I gotta go, I gotta go babysit for my sister" kc said. "Ight Girl talk to you later" Kim said before hanging up.

As she was about to put her phone down, she got a message. She picked up her phone and checked it out.

+1(865) 416-235-7892— Wassup, uh it's maya.... I know I'm probably the last person you wanna here from but I was just letting you know that I was back in town and I was wondering if we could link... I'll understand if you'on wanna, but please just lemme explain myself. 

Kim sat up straight as she reread the text message that just came to her phone. Her heart crushed all over again and a slight teacher rolled down her cheek.

She remembered the day when maya left. It always replayed in her mind. She wanted to hate her so bad for just leaving her, but she couldn't. She wiped her face before looking back at her phone screen.

Me: we don't have nothing to talk about

She sat there for five minutes, contemplating on wether she should send or not. She finally decided to click send.

A minute later her phone dinged again.

+1(865) 416-235-7892— Kim please just let me explain. Girl you know I love you. Please.

Kim sighed. She bit her lips nervously as she typed.

Me: fine meet me tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. at the park.

+1(865) 416-235-7892— ok. I'm sorry.

Kim didn't reply. She just placed her phone on the charger and headed to the bathroom. She took a shower then got out. She put on some night clothes, lotion, and deodorant. She tied her hair up before laying down. She laid on her back while looking up into the ceiling.

She thought about all the memories her and maya shared. Tears started flowing again. She turned on her side. She closed her and went to sleep. She was no where near prepared for tomorrow.