Chapter 23 "To Magic school"

"Ah? Darnel escaped?"

Avaritia asked while sharpening his new horns.

From the orders of Amicum, Avaritia put guards everywhere to prevent the villagers from secretly running away or stealing any gold.

The guards are actually villagers who were blackmailed by Avaritia that he would destroy their houses or fields if they didn't help him.

"Y-Yes, he was last seen using a horse."

These guards have seen him, but they didn't stop him.

Avaritia has seen them there too, so they couldn't deny that they saw something.

"Ugh, just tell it to Boss."

Avaritia pushed the problem on his leader.
The guards nodded before entering Amicum's current house.

Avaritia was lazily sitting around, still sharpening his horns. He showed no interest in pursuing Darnel.

Avaritia did seem happy when the villagers held him in such high regards while giving him their valuables.

Any travellers were chased out with the excuse that the village still has to be fixed.

It has been a long time since Avaritia has last used his human form.
And it has been a long time since going to magic school.

Avaritia gazed at the depressed villagers.
It seemed everything was handled by his boss and the guards...

"I'll go to magic school."
He muttered.

Maybe Darnel was there too, he thought.

----------

"Boss, I want to go to magic school again!"

Avaritia exclaimed in front of Amicum's throne.

"Why?"
Since Amicum became the leader of the village, his pride has gone up tremendously as shown from his arrogant tone.

"Maybe they put new shiny stuff! Humans are stupid after all!"
Avaritia said happily.

Amicum thought for a while before saying,

"Sure. Bring me a souvenir."

"Hurray!!"

Avaritia dashed with a shout of the village, while leaving the puzzled villagers behind.

-----------------------------

My name is Lila. Well, that's how my friends call me.

In reality, my name is Liliana Lighting.

That's right, I'm royalty.

Through some circumstances, I have been disguised as a normal commoner.

One day, when I was about to go to school like usual, I could not believe what I saw.

The magic school was demolished.
Shattered windows, holes in the walls, and many more things.

Even though the teachers were supposed to guard at night, they tried to act as if nothing happened.

Father has pressed them for answers, and in the end, they admitted that they were sleeping before waking up to a loud noise.

And when they went there, they saw a boy lying on the ground, while his arm was bleeding.

I listened what they were saying when they were interrogating him.

"So you are saying that two grey monsters who could talk made all that mess?"

"It's the truth. I secretly followed them."

But even after that they didn't believe him.

"Darnel Macaw! Where did you go?!"

"Um, sir, I'm still here."

His skill to erase his presence is incredible.
Apparently his name is Darnel Macaw. Even I almost forgot him.

He goes like me to magic school.
They pressed him for answers for days until they finally gave up.

The hero became interested after hearing about two grey monsters.
It turned out those two were the wanted monsters who were summoned by our formal summoning magician.
After capturing him, we investigated a bit more about him, and it turned out he betrayed us because of a magic spell that summons those monsters from another world.
He somehow escaped again after the second monster was summoned, but I doubt anyone will help him after we declared him a wanted criminal.
Still, father is having a word with those guards.

"Don't worry princess, I will protect you!"

The hero said that to me back in the castle with a smile. To which I could only reply back with another smile.

"I have been searching them for years!"

The hero became very excited when he knew that the monsters were nearby.

Since the incident of those monsters, father has been nervous for a long time.

I remember those things as I enter magic school.

It has been a month since the school was demolished and repaired back to how it was.

After Darnel was released, I haven't seen him again.

And I didn't even see Avaritia returning. I did want to talk to him some more.

Did they skip school?
Then why so long?

That's not the only thing bothering me... Unfortunately, there are still some girls who are bothering me.

Seriously, they would never bother me if they knew of me being a princess.

"Oh?"

I stopped at hearing that nostalgic voice.

Before me, a grey haired boy with yellow eyes that would make you think he was a monster in disguise.

It's Avaritia Macaw.

I have researched a bit and it turned out that he was a commoner boy with no background information.
The only information I had, was name and family name.

It made me curious how he could be so mysterious. I do suspect that he could be a spy from another country.

"Oh. Pink haired girl. Long time no see."

He greeted me with his tired expression like usual.

But something feels wrong...
As if a person was missing next to him...